Customer reviews

La Fete Sauvage
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£0.99

on 11 February 2015
Came across this in my attempt to reconstruct my Vangelis collection.This is not currently my favourite of Vangelis's music. It takes some getting used to as it is so different from what we usually expect from this great composer. I find the first half OK (very different with drum beats, animal sounds and people chanting) and like more the second half which is closer to what is the expectation with lovely pieces that are mood inspiring. I am sure it will grow on me - most Vangelis's music does...

UPDATE: OK, I listened to this a couple more times... did this with headphones (to concentrate more) and pretty high volume... Now i have to give this five stars. Second bit was very good and gets better; first bit was OK but now I regard as fantastic. Yes, it is different from the usual beautiful fare by Vangelis, but doesn't it grow on you. There is melody in the chanting and animal sounds and I swear i can hear echoes of synthesizer music behind the drumming... Am I imagining things? Anyway, it has already settled there as one of Vangelis listens-again, together with many ... OK, OK, I'm a fan and think he is one of the greatest composers/performers ever but this grew on me sooner than I thought it would after just a couple of more listens... am I not glad that I have (re)discovered this unknown masterpiece and am I not thankful to MP3 downloads??!
on 12 May 2015
Great
on 29 August 2013
Another rare gem which I am happy to have discovered. I had not heard the album before, but it is Very good.
on 22 March 2013
I absolutely do not know what I think about this. The quality of the recording is fine but I cannot make up my mind whether I really like the work, or not.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 July 2013
This is Vangelis's second soundtrack album of work he did for the wildlife films of Frederic Rossif. Released in 1976, many technological advances - as well as the composer's own experience and development - mean that the music here is world's away from his earlier album of work for Rossif, `L'Apocalypse des Animaux', which had been composed only four years previously.

Unfortunately, there is not a great deal that inspires in the later work being reviewed here. The thirty-nine minutes of music are split into nine sections. The music also features what sound like audio extracts from the film, featuring African chants (made by, presumably, the eight names credited on the album sleeve) and the sound of animals.

The first track opens straight into African rhythms overlain by guitars, keyboards, and other electronic effects. It's not all rhythm-based, for there are some poignant slow pieces. But this is a soundtrack, after all, and so most episodes are more mood pieces rather than coherent compositions.

But overall, I feel the music fails to rise above the mediocre: there is nothing here that inspires.
on 24 March 2001
Most mainstream music you hear using Synthesisers is dance and techno related,which I think is why many people regard it(the synth and the music) so scournfully, it's hard edged,almost emotionless. But this guy has applied the Synthesiser sucsessfuly to so many different genre's, even ones that you would'nt associate with synths. This film soundtrack from 1975 is no acception,wild african druming accompanied by Ladysmith Black Mombazo type tribal chanting or Vangelis's experimental synthings.There are some great segments on this CD,a realy simple but efective solo ethnic flute piece, and a Grandiose theme with lots of synth overlays.This is only one of a few of Vangelis's works where he did'nt play all the instruments himself, there's a list of muso's on the back of the CD case, probably the Chanter's and the Drummers who all sound like they were having a good time whilst recording it. This Cd would be ideal for anyone studying African music at college or university.And theres enough to keep Vangelis's usual fans happy too.When critic's talk of Vangelis's work's they rarely mention this,a pitty,it's a rare gem. It goes to show that this guy is one of the worlds greatest composers of electronic music.
8 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2013
Vangelis is wonderful so often with his work. In this case, the work is fine as background music, fine. However, to listen to it with concentration, there is nothing to inspire: rather a good sleep is called for.
on 12 September 2014
Vangelis what more needs to be said
on 30 December 2013
A wild feast of great music!!!!! A blend of 80's Synth music and African tribal percussion. A very atmospheric experience
on 14 March 2013
I am a total fan of vangellis and his style of music so what ever he makes I would give it 5