Customer reviews

The Orphanage [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 October 2010
When this was trailered for the cinema it was with an English title, and the trailer did not clearly signify that it was sub-titled, otherwise I may not have gone to see it,which in itself is interesting, although I am an Ulsterman living in Yorkshire. When the cashier said to my daughter, Sarah, and I, 'You do know it is in Spanish', the obvous answer is , 'Of course'
We were enthralled. The mother is given quite a sexualised image and the son's acting is enchanting. There are some very chilling moments, but the horror and twist really tingles the senses. It is very thought provoking , but must be watched in a mood of relaxation. Not very much happens, but what does is crucial.
I wouldn't necessarily go to see the Directors next movie, but this is a very tight and well constructed drama.
on 27 July 2014
Just buy this. It's fab!
on 24 October 2009
A ghost story well told and not over the top. The subtitles don't spoil
the film in any way
on 2 February 2015
Brilliant on edge movie
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2008
Set in a remote, creaky, gothic house where the protagonists rattle round like peas I'd've given this two stars but for the rather poignant twist at the end which made me quite weepy. It's a workaday ghost story but very well acted, I have to say though that I've always found Geraldine Chaplin's face too comical for the kind of parts I've seen her play and here is no exception.
Don't buy this version(Optimum Home) because the sound is infuriating. All the background hiss and crackle which you normally wouldn't notice but which is always there when the actors are speaking becomes very conspicuous during the pauses in dialogue because they've been cut out. All of a sudden it's like the sound failed and sometimes you can see (eg by someone's apparent intake of breath) that they've not reinstated it in time for the next actor's lines. In an atmospheric film like this if you're going to have significant pauses you can't muck around like that.
on 10 June 2016
Del Toro at is best!
on 18 April 2012
If you are looking for another 'Pan's Labyrinth' from Guillermo Del Toro - then this is not it!
But it is a first class film. Well directed, brilliantly atmospheric and the acting is up there with the best.
I would not say it is the most frightening film I have seen, but to be fair I do think it is supposed to be.
It is a supernatural thriller, with Guillermo trying to tell us what lies beyond this life.
I will not go into details of what takes place as I do not want to spoil the effect of the film.
Very watchable (more than once) and definately one for the collection. RJC.
on 27 January 2013
This is a satisfying horror film in the traditional sense. I watched it a few years ago now and its stayed with me ever since, not because of the frights, i don't really remember them. It's stayed with me because it upset me so much. I can't say what it was that did this without spoiling the ending, but the twist in the missing boy story had me in floods of tears. I've never cried so much at a film before or since, and i think anyone sensitive should be forewarned. I've given the film 5 stars because it's so powerful and yet i don't know if i'd ever have the emotional courage to watch it again.
on 28 June 2008
Recently the appalling slasher genre has been shoving its rivals into obscurity, but this film puts them all to shame. It doesn't use tasteless gore and somewhat tense rampages but successfully uses sophisticated and subtle atmospheres and characters to build a real terror, a terror that is sustained by the creepiness of the setting and the disturbing plot. That isn't to say the film is without its gore, which when it happens is pretty extreme it just uses it more sensibly than most modern horror films. Like all of del Toro's films, this is really the high end of the market, horror of the subtle and terror of the unknown.
on 21 September 2008
I have always liked ghost stories, but there are too few of them, but that is also a good thing as anything that is done poorly lessens a genre. This is a ghost story that does everything right it develops real characters and has suitable motivations for thier actions. When someone does something obsessive or crazy it is well justified and doesn't feel like a plot device. The acting is generally very good and you quickly stop noticing that it is subtitled. While I don't mind subtitled films I don't go out of my way to watch them.