Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

I am for the most part a very conservative person, and those who know me would probably never imagine that I am a devoted Eminem fan. When The Slim Shady LP came out in 1999, I heard a lot about it, but I had almost no exposure to the music itself. The only song I really heard at the time was the radio version of My Name Is, and that little ditty seemed to have "gimmick" written all over it. I expected Eminem to disappear from the music scene after a few months. I, like many people, was uninformed and wrongly dismissed this artist out of hand. Then, I actually listened to the man's music, and I soon realized that Eminem was in fact a musical genius. This first album is a little more bare-bones and gritty than The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show, but it is nonetheless nothing short of amazing. I am not exactly a big fan of rap or hip-hop, although I have wandered down those lanes a few times in my past, but Eminem actually transcends rap, creating a musical genre all his own that reaches out to even the most unlikeliest of places to win fans like me. Sure, the lyrics are explicit, but what I have come to realize is this: Eminem does not use the explicit lyrics to attract notoriety and sell albums; he uses explicit lyrics because he is expressing himself in a shockingly honest way, and what he gives us is his own version of truth and reality. He really does have something to say, and he says it in a way that speaks not only to the culture of the streets but also to boring conservative individuals like me.
I can't find a bad song on this album, although I'm not that fond of the Ken Kaniff sketch. Eminem does things with beats and rhymes that I have never heard anyone else do, using the very rhythm of his music as a further means of communicating his ideas and feelings. 97 Bonnie and Clyde is rightfully well-known, a song which addresses real issues that many people deal with every day; it's much more than a song about someone killing his wife. Guilty Conscience is a notable track, with Eminem and Dr. Dre playing devil and angel to folks encountering real, albeit, extreme situations. One of the greatest things about Emimen is his denial of himself as some kind of role model or superman; you can't pin him down to anything, as he shifts back and forth between a "don't do like I do" message (such as can be found in Role Model) and a celebration of the parents' nightmares he is creating. His life hasn't been easy, as he relates in Rock Bottom and further expounds upon in Brain Damage. As the World Turns is a great song with pop appeal, but my favorite has to be My Fault. Lounge, the preamble of My Fault, is just amazing because its Beach Boys-esque sound is quite unexpected and a perfect lead-in to what has to be the funniest song on the album. There's all kinds of variety here, including the designated "dance track" [Come] on Everybody. "Still Don't Give a" is the perfect ending to this emotionally complex diatribe of an album, summing up in the introductory words the very essence of Eminem.
There are many individuals who would never agree with me, but I truly think there is a little Eminem in all of us. As an introvert who tries to avoid conflict, I can't help but idolize Eminem for his fearlessness, boldness, and complete dedication to individualism. His reputation guarantees a legion of men and women who will never even consider listening to his music or consider him anything more than a moral cancer on the younger generations, but I think Eminem has already proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is a talented musician capable of influencing the music of today and tomorrow in ways that many people will probably never even realize. While I enjoy his next two albums a little bit more than this one, The Slim Shady LP serves as an absolutely crucial piece to the fascinating puzzle that is Eminem.
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2000
Eminem is one of the most contraversial, verbally shocking and talented rappers in years. The message behind his album is not one of killing, destruction and mayhem but a sly, sarcastic look at pop culture as it exists today. Don't take his lyrics at face value and PLEASE buy the uncensored version of the album as if you don't know what he's saying, you miss out on what he's all about.
on 8 February 2000
I have an eclectic music taste but I have never really got past Will Smith when it comes to rap. However, I had heard a lot about Eminem and decided to see what all the fuss was about. I wasn't disapointed. He brilliantly manages to combine the funny tracks (e.g. Guilty Conscience and 97' Bonnie and Clyde) with the hard-hitting stuff (e.g. Role Model, Rock Bottom and Still Don't Give a F**k). He even manages to mix it up in the same track, My Fault and My Name Is being perfect examples. Of course, you could get caught up in just the lyrics and forget about the music. Fortunately, most of the tracks have a brilliant rhythm and tune to go with the words, although If I Had and My Fault fall down slightly on this front.
An essential purchase not just for the rap fan but for any music fan who wants to broaden their horizons. The best album of 1999.
on 10 January 2001
Do you want to be blown out of your mind? This is certainly the best album ever. Every track is unique. The most hard-hitting and amazing fact about this album is that as he was composing it with Dr Dre he was still right on the edge and really going through a lot of the sh*t he raps about, he really was broke, engaged to Kim and barely able to pay rent. This is why it is so personal - and the music totally gets to you. Best tracks include 'Brain Damage', 'Role Model', and 'Rock Bottom'. Despite his bad situation, and being sick of not being recognised for his talent - he manages to take it all in his stride and adds loads of humour. This Hip Hop album is pure DOPE - Eminem proves all he needs for a sick album is genuine raw talent. Listen to this - and appreciate rap.
on 4 September 2015
Already knew the album is good, but wanted it on vinyl.

I payed full price, expecting a new copy to be sent.

The record showed up, but came with scratches and a hair on the top of it. Was not pleased at all, especially as this was my first record. May as well stick to digital like everyone else my age if that's how records usually turn up.

This review is late, but I did not know how to send it back and it's now out of the 30 days.

If you're reading this and have had similar experiences, please send it back. It's not fair on the customer at all.
on 10 November 2013
Explicit lyrics are just written off by some people as pointless. Eminem uses a lot of pretty messed up language and talks about messed up things, but however sinister they may sound, he is an absolute genius at telling stories through music, speaking his mind in his lyrics. I heard this album as a kid 10 years ago, and having purchased it again as an adult, I can truly understand why this man is rated so highly. But my words don't do his music justice, you need to listen carefully to his lyrics to understand just how good Eminem is.
on 17 October 2009
This is eminem's best album. Best tunes and best lyrics.

However dont buy the non-explicit version, as the bleeps / word changes, completely spoil it.

Buy this album..... but buy the explicit version (5 stars).
on 4 September 2006
the slim shady LP, a look in to the dark, twisted world of eminem, this was his debut, he was broke angry, and ready to take on the world, and let me tell you this album is nothing short of brilliant, eminem proves himself as an incredible lyricist, with an amazing delivery great voice, he is brutally honest and raps about a range of subject matters, such as the struggles of being broke, hilarious storytelling songs, killing his girlfriend, vicous battle rap songs, dissing everyone from his mum to vanilla ice, in fact, the majority of the songs on this album are hilarious battle rap songs, which doesnt really matter because eminem comes up with punchlines, jokes, and multis galore, this album is mainly produced by underground producers(apart from 2 songs produced by dr dre), and the beats are amazing, theye are not heavy or commercialized but still easy on the ear, and its obvious the producers took alot of time trying to get the mood of the production to fit the songs this is the second best of eminems 3 amazing albums(encore was garbage) i would highly recommend this, if you want to hear some amazing lyricism, brutal honesty, or amazing battle rap skills, peace
on 9 April 2014
I am not a mad stan, but this album is undeniably a hip hop classic. one of the best you're likely to hear! love this album never get's old. whatever your opinion on eminem is there are few that have made albums this solid.
on 20 April 2000
Everyone will probably remember eminem for his number one hit 'hi my name is'released last year but eminem has a lot more to offer if you listen to slim shady lp. it has brilliant lyrics and unforgettable backing music which goes well with eminems changeable style. all the songs are so good that i cant pick a favourite but the ones i like the most are role model, come on everybody and im shady. dont think eminem is all comedy there are some serious tunes in here is well for example rock bottom. i cant wait for eminems new album the marshal mathars lp i hope it will live up to its expectations