on 2 September 2015
This is, for me, one of the greatest pairings in the history of... well, pairings! One of those that may be unexpected at first, yet so perfectly natural, on a little reflection.

I've always had a soft spot for duets that put you in mind of 'Beauty and the Beast'. Or, if that sounds too fanciful, a pure, strong female vocal accompanying that of a man who ... is perhaps not the first one would think of on being told to' picture a singer.'..

But Knopfler's voice, despite not being the most musical, has never lacked expressiveness. Especially not when he's enjoying himself - as you can feel he is here. It is there in his playing also; the exuberance of a younger man together with the maturity and sureness of touch of an older one... It doesn't get much better than this. Knopler's guitar does everything from rythmic accompaniment, via pianistic stylings, to third voice in a three-part-harmony - and handles each role superlatively well.

And let's not forget the other half of the duet... Emmylou's vocal, is a beautiful mix of sweetness and sultriness, of fragility and strength... But hey! that's nothing new - it always has been. However the enjoyment she seems to draw from performing with this excellent wordsmith and his near-human sounding guitar playing is palpable. And pushes her to personal bests also...

I believe time will make this one of the great albums - along with 'Hejira'... 'American Pie'... and the others (name your own favourite!). It would make the ideal gift - if you can bring yourself to giving it away. Safer to buy two copies...
on 29 December 2011
As a "sometime" fan of both Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris I was surprised at how much I love this CD, it's rarely out of my CD player.

Beachcombing sets the mood and it just gets better and better. This Is Us is a lovely upbeat number about a husband and wife singing about their lives together, (classic line: Emmylou: You were the missing link. Mark: Yeh, I had a little too much to drink), I'm sure most of us have been there! Red Staggerwing is a just a brilliant upbeat country number. What the hell, every track is superb all the way to the completely heartbreaking If This Is Goodbye about a final phone call from one of the victims in the towers on 9/11.

Mark Knopfler has attained a maturity to his music that, just like a great wine, has seen him get better with age. Emmylou's voice and phrasing is wonderful and that wonderful jumbo Gibson of hers sounds fantastic.

Make no mistake, this is a classic album that has flown under the radar. Forget labels, don't worry about whether it's a country album or a rock album just buy it today and you'll still be playing it 20 years from now.
on 15 April 2015
I adore Mark Knopfler,and for me can do no wrong.I do find music very difficult to comment on as it is such a personal thing.On this album he is
sharing the limelight with Emmylou Harris and it is a very pleasant combination.I am not going to be "geekish" and tell you about each tract,but the
overall experience of listening is great.Like me,take the plunge,I am sure you will enjoy it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 March 2012
I always enjoy the music of singer songwriter Emmylou Harris and this CD is just lovely. The smooth rich tones of Mark Knopfler along with the crystal clear voice of Ammylou makes a beautiful combination.
The songs on this CD have a mixture of tempos, that are an absolute delight to any Country Music fan and make for a great variety.
Super in the car to get through the hassle of the traffic jams.

Love this CD - very easy and enjoyable listening.
on 30 August 2017
Not the knock out album I had hoped for but still a very enjoyable performance by two professional musicians who clearly enjoy playing together.
on 26 July 2012
I've had this album a while. I liked some of it immediately, but the rest has slowly grown on me. I am a fan of Mark Knopfler but have never listened to Emmy Lou before and at first wasn't sure she was necessary. But her singing offers another dimension to Mark's music and this is now one of my favourite albums.

MK has to be the most talented living songwriter and I absolutely love the way he plucks those guitar strings. He is so much a modern poet, but also a fantastic musician.
on 10 June 2017
Just as expected - BRILLIANT ! - thank you.
on 3 June 2017
Great disc. Magic for easy listening or belting out on full volume.
on 22 May 2016
Two of the most charismatic giants of the music world singing great songs together. What could be better? Nothing.Buy it!
on 8 December 2013
I like Mark Knopfler's music and Emmylou Harris was a favourite many years back (Elite Hotel around 1976!) I listened to some samples on Amazon and took the plunge. Not disappointed. Knopfler's laconic style blends beautifully with Emmylou's wistful voice. Easy listening country tag may put some people off but just think of this album as a high quality collaboration. Similar in some respects to Robert Plant and Allison Krauss which is also a favourite of mine.