Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 26 March 2017
Old-style Rush when they were playing in the Zeppelin style and talking about wizards etc.
on 1 August 2017
Rush are the best band in the world ever. This is not their best by any means. They were still finding an identity when they recorded this but it is still classic prog.
on 20 May 2017
Classic RUSH! I am constantly disillusioned by the drivel being churned out by record companies lately, a blast from my past that stands the test of time. This was an album recorded back in the day when RUSH knew how to create an atmosphere, unlike their more recent very clever but cold attempts. My summer cd this year!
on 30 October 2016
Great album. Super quick delivery.
I had the original vinyl recording of COS and this was a replacement to a damaged CD version I had also bought.
Rush's first two albums were very rock-like, but COS marked the band's first foray into conceptual work. As I understand things, their label wasn't too impressed and wanted them to change it, but it has stood the test of time and marks the point where Rush turned from a normal rock band into a unique one.
The opening track Bastille Day was an anthem in its time, with its racing guitar and Rush's favoured stop-time approach back then. The last track on 'side 1' (in vinyl terms) was a mini-story (The Necromancer), with atmospheric sound effects mingling with strong instrumental work.
The remainder of the CD is another - more loosely defined - mini-story. It has a slightly folky feel to it, but shot through with the now-familiar Rush heaviness (though at the time the direction the band would subsequently take was in question).
Listening to any Rush work I find it hard to distinguish between new and old material purely in terms of quality. Rush has always been tight and clinical in their approach to studio albums - but I think COS was probably the one where they put down the rules for all their future work.
Again, this is a part of history, so I would recommend owning COS for that reason alone. Of course, no Rush fan would be without it anyway.
Caress of Steel released in 1975 is the third album from the Canadian band Rush. The record is the first the trio released that featured their well known progressive rock style.

There were a lot of obvious changes in style on the bands second album, Fly By Night, the follow up Caress of Steel took that style to a whole new level and then some. The record starts off innocently enough with the classics Bastille Day and Lakeside Park as well as the humorously titled I Think I'm Going Bald. All three songs have some nice powerful guitar, strong drumming and pretty much everything you'd want from early Rush.

It is the final two tracks on the album that is going to make this record a hit or miss with fans. Not only does side one finish with a Tolkien inspired tale called, The Necromancer but in typical prog rock style, side two is one epic twenty minute long track The Fountain of Lamneth. Both songs are written and performed in various sections being the first of many lengthy pieces from Rush. Unfortunately the quality you find in the likes of Cygnus X-1, 2112 and Hemispheres is not present here with both of these songs coming across as a little disjointed, roped together and rather lacking in places.

People looking to get into Rush's music will not want to start here, this is one of the worst starting points for the bands back catalogue. This record is for die hard fans only, it is not bad but it is far from great. Buy up the rest of their '70s material and then come back to this one. Caress of Steel has plenty of great material but more than enough filler to make this an acquired taste.

Published by Steven Lornie of Demonszone
on 19 July 2009
I think it would be fair to say that "Caress Of Steel" isn't vintage Rush, but prehaps it is an important stepping stone in the band's development.This was the album where Rush really became prog and began to expand their sound and the length of their compositions.For me,as well as the opening track "Bastille Day", the songs that make this album worth owning are "The Necromancer" and the 20 minute epic "The Fountain Of Lamneth"."The Necromancer starts off as a dreamy Pink Floyd style piece before launching into a Led Zep style guitar/vocal interchange and then drifts into a very nice,almost pop ending."The Fountain Of Lamneth" is a little taxing but has some excellent ideas and I think this track is kind of a prototype of 2112(released the following year)which I think saw the band execute this idea better.All in all if you're new to Rush then this probably isn't the place to start,but if you are a long-time fan and have just never got round to this album,it's well worth checking out.
on 29 August 2010
I was 13, it was 1983, and I'd discovered hard rock and metal and was vociferously listening to every band I could. Zep, Sabbath, Purple, UFO etc had all been given the once over and then a lad at school did me a tape of Caress of Steel. The stop start riff of Bastille Day caught my attention, the next few kept it then Necromancer came on. I wasn't into prog, and still aren't, so this sort of thing was all new to me but I was hooked. Then The Fountain of Lamneth came on, and took me on a musical journey to a mythical place. Rolling acoustic melodies were suddenly shattered by crushing riffs and I have been a huge Rush fan ever since.

This may not be their best album, but for me it changed my whole view of music. Don't be put off by the prog label, Rush are simply intelligent hard rock with incredible musicianship and endless creativity. One of the all time great rock bands, perhaps the best, and this is an essential part of their cannon.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 September 2010
After 2 excellent albums this was a sideways switch that nearly killed the band off,A mis-step? perhaps but it was the catalyst for 2112 and for that we should be grateful

Opening with ,as usual, a killer tune 'Bastille Day' gets the album off to a great start whilst the humourous 'I Think Im Going Bald' contains some sterling guitar playing by Alex Lifeson.I agree with a previous reviewer,'Lakeside Park' should have been a single,a lovely little track that the band hate so much especially Geddy.Next up the 'Necromancer' which is a decent attempt at another 'By Tor' type song ,leaving the the 20 minute epic 'Fountains Of Lamneth' whilst having some redeeming moments,it as the band said in the past lacks cohesion and is is overlong,whilst this is true and it doesnt hold the attention like 2112,in the right mood it can be rewarding,its not a disc most fans will listen to on a regular basis. Not as good as the 2 previous albums but certainly the prelude for 2112. 3.5 stars.
on 18 December 2012
I hesitated purchasing Rush's third album, Caress Of Steel, after reading a lot of reviews stating this was a weaker Rush effort, a test run for what came later, otherwise an ugly listen. It does appear to me that it's become somewhat trendy to state this is so bad it's good.

So my opinion? It's awesome! Every track is a winner, and Bastille Day is one of the best songs in the Rush canon. It's just epic! The guitars are simply mesmerising!

The longer tracks are not quite classic, which should not come as too much of a surprise, but in all honesty they have serious charm. The Necromancer is possibly the weakest of the two, but The Fountain Of Lamneth is just the coolest thing ever! It's flawed, but fun to listen to, the audio equivalent of a cheesy black and white adventure movie. Neither track can hold a candle to the quality of 2112, but I prefer both of these songs, and the rest of the album too, to the whole of A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres. And I was led to believe those two were masterpieces! (If they are, they have not grown on me.)

Lakeside Park is quite sweet, I like the sentimental side and I Think I'm Going Bald is just terrific fun. As a bit of laddish humour, it's fine. And the song itself is just perfect '70's rock!

So Caress Of Steel isn't my very favourite Rush album, but I prefer it to the debut, and Farewell and Hemispheres. The cover is my favourite of their 70's output (second only to Grace Under Pressure), and I wouldn't hesitate to put this in my Rush top five (alongside Moving Pictures, Clockwork Angels, Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves).