on 26 June 2017
I have copies of this album on vinyl from the 70s, CD from the 80s and now Bluray Audio from the 10s. The Bluray Pure Audio has both a 5.1 remix and the 2.0 audio only versions in high res 24 bit / 96Khz so you could say this is the definitive quality version of this classic Who album.
I obviously like this album lots so I'll leave you to read other reviews on its musical content, so I'll restrict my comments to this new format and it is that I give 4 stars.
This Hi-Res audio format should be a real winner, unlike previous attempts to drag up the digital quality from MP3 by the likes of SACD and DVD Audio this format can be played back at an improved quality by anyone with a decent standard Bluray Player and surround sound system, so why is it dying on its feet. This disk (along with many of the other disks in this format) as I write this in June 2017 is "currently unavailable" from Amazon! Shameful.
They've done a good job here for both the purist who want to hear the original stereo mix and those like me who want something different in the surround sound version. Normally I'd favour the 5.1 version (as with Hotel California and Rumours DVD Audios) but here I find it a little stretched and hollow. Turn up the volume on the stereo version and/ or put it though a DSP processor to give an artificial surround effect and this is the best version of the album so far. The only reason I've given it 4 rather than 5 stars is that there could have been better video content i.e. more than just a few publicity stills from the movie.
I'm glad I bought it when I found it at a reasonable price as the manufacturers seem determined to make this disks collector items at ridiculous prices, good luck getting one now unless its re-launched.
on 31 January 2017
I was in my early teens when I really started to understand this album, it's ideas and modifies, and most importantly it's story! It's as compelling today as it was then, perhaps even more so in a politically correct climate where very few musicians [outside people like EMINEM] are brave enough to write anything from a third person perspective portraying a negative view point. The first and most important thing to understand is that it was written by Pete Townshend as a Rock Opera, an elaborate performance, where each track tells an aspect of a story that follows a young mod named Jimmy at the hight of the on going battles gangs in Brighton. To say that it doesn't flinch from some very difficult topics is an understatement, but it's the portrayal of a young troubled man trying to find an identity in a faceless world with few choices and fewer realistic dreams for the uneducated. It's filled with rage and sadness, often to the point of boiling past whay might be considered acceptable today, but it's what gives the album it's enduring power. People make bad choices, especially young people at odds with the world, and they have consequences that can follow you for the rest of your life.
on 24 August 2015
I'm a real sucker! I have the original UK and US vinyls, the CD's, the box set and now this. What can I say - new vinyl, no scratches, that vinyl sound, the artwork and stapled in book (that I lost many years ago when it fell out of my original copy) and of course, the brilliant songs. Quadrophenia has to be the Who's best work, and in my humble opinion, is the best album ever produced by anyone. Sounds as good today as ever and brings the memories of a misspent youth flooding back each time I hear it.
on 10 April 2017
I am huge who fan this is an astonishing double set one of their essential rock opera albums highly recommended I love the many tracks featured on this record. I also own the original movie soundtrack of this album A true mod classic
on 28 June 2017
Great album and very well packaged and arrived undamaged
on 1 August 2017
Great
on 13 May 2017
A classic Who album that has stood the test of time
on 27 March 2017