Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 6 December 2007
I can't speak for the lyrics because I don't know what they mean, but musically this is something out of the ordinary. It's almost a shame that excerpts from this album have been played on the TV so much, because it's nice to be part of something that's out of the mainstream.

The music gets noisey in places, but it seems Sigur Ros cannot resist sneaking in a beautiful melody.

Now on to the vinyl/packaging itself. It has already been documented what the correct disc content is. If you want to play the album in the same order as the CD just swap disc 2 & 3 around. The third disc is packed in the middle of the gatefold anyway. Disc 3 is one sided, 10 inch, and trickier to get out of its compartment - for me the song is the worst on the album so it's not a great loss at all. The vinyl does sound very nice, but mine clicks at the end of side one (last few seconds) and at the beginning of the second side of the official disc 2 (also pressed off centre for at least 2 discs I've seen.) My replacement copy had the same clicky issues.

The packaging is lovely, the vinyl is heavy and attractive looking, and if you're worried Heysatan is actually Icelandic for Haystack.

Heysatan also contains apparently the only English lyrics they had recorded up to that point: Massey Ferguson - a brand of tractor.
on 8 February 2010
Sigur Rós changed my life. No other artist has ever meant so much to me, except for maybe Neil Young.

For me, their music has such a universal aura to it; evoking strong feelings of love, sadness, regret, joy. Everything. The emotion and beauty conveyed is just so pure and so true that it becomes much more affecting than the majority of music out there.

Stand outs on this album are:

'Takk...' - The seemingly subtle title track. One of my all time favourites.
'Glósóli' - A climactic, invigorating follow up.
'Með Blóðnasir' - Magical, joyful. Stunning bass.
'Mílanó' - A heart breaking haze of strings opens this breathtaking song.
'Svo Hljótt' - An epic slow burner.
'Heysátan' - Wonderful, simple, warming end to the album.

Obviously a 5/5 rating from me. I strongly urge you to buy this album, and their others for that matter.

Listen to it, feel it.
on 4 November 2007
I have listened to Sigur Ros since buying Agætis Byrjun back in 1998 and their music has accompanied the last 9 years of my life. I have worked as a classical musician for several years and love many different forms of music. Sigur Ros have managed to surpass anything that I have ever heard in my 37 years of life on this earth. They reaffirm my belief in human ingenuity and they seem to have accomplished what I feared we would never get to experience in my lifetime - they have reinvented music. And they have done so in such a subtle and extraordinary way that it seems almost like some form of tragic joke. Their artistry encapsulates life in all of it's myriad shades - from soaring pinnacles right down to the grating, painful dreariness. Sigur Ros have quite literally set me free - their music gives everything meaning and makes everthing meaningless all at the same time. There is nothing more to say....
on 18 May 2006
To all you people out there who were wondering where that "piece of music" came from while listening to the Planet Earth advert, you will already have found yourself here, and that piece of music is called Hoppipolla, on track 3, of this fabulous album by Sigur Ros.

This is the most amazing album I've heard in the last 15 years. Full Stop. I want everyone who has just heard of Sigur Ros and thought to themselves, I need to find out more, to read this piece of advice/review and go and buy this album, you won't be disappointed.

It's a roller coaster ride, each track can put you into a certain place, depending on you're mood, and where you want to escape to. Essentially it's a beautifully sounding album, but its so much more than that. Let yourself go, feel the music, it's unlike anything you will come across easily in today's music climate, an album like this has to be found, and when discovered, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In terms of which song is the "best", I prefer to listen to this album as a whole; I certainly wouldn't give it a disservice and put it on random on my hi-fi. If one track stands out, it has to be Milano, which could quite easily break you're heart.

The nearest thing I can compare this album with has to be The Division Bell by Pink Floyd. I say this purely because the DB, despite myself being around 16 years of age at the time, stuck with me, and still does, as being a great piece of music, and just different from what I was listening to in the charts. Takk comes across as being different, and as an alternative in 2005-06.

If I had my way, everyone should have this masterpiece.
on 2 January 2006
...Having been a fan of their Sigur Rós for while, I can say this is umistakenably Sigur Rós, albeit in more upbeat package. A far contrast to the dark drones 2002's (), an album without any titles, and overal feel of emotional emptiness, it even contains a track with a real "oompa" brass band towards the end of the third track "Með blóðnasir". Overall its a warmer take on there signature sound, a more innocent almost a happy child feel. That's not say it doesn't soar, their music is atmospheric and as powerful as ever. The tracks fade into each other as harmoniously, and for the most part its an enjoyable, altho the rather lacklustre "Milano" does overstay its welcome a bit too long. For many, while this may be still stretch, this is by far Sigur Rós' most accessible record.

Highlights...

Glósóli - Track 2

Hoppípolla - Track 3

Sæglópur - Track 5
on 12 May 2006
Christmas 2005, I opened my brother's present. This album came out. I was dissapointed to say the least. I was expecting Gorillaz, or maybe something a little more upbeat. I played it once, I liked it. I played it twice, I fell in love with it.

Sigur Ros don't make albums, I have decided, having bought their other album. They make epiphanies. Thats what I decided from early on. Each song made you love life again, and you can sing to it to, and you don't know, or even care what you are saying after a while.

Hoppipolla is an obvious favorite, and hearing it as the Planet Earth sound track brought joy to my heart, as I knew people would give Sigur Ros a chance if it was on TV. Milano is my personal favorite, a beautiful melody throughout, flawless in my eyes. Heysatan, Hoppipolla, and Meo Bledonasir ('scuze the spelling mistakes) are among my absolute favorites.

If you want nice songs, this is your album. You may end up skipping a few tracks. It simply shows you life, then takes it away in one album. One listen of this album, and you are lost forever, to a world where living is all part of music.

All in all, this album got me into Sigur Ros, and proved people in my school that they weren't that bad. When I first played the album in January to people in the common room, I was laughed at, but now everyone likes it. It's weird how I saw it coming a mile off, even if I was a little late myself to jump on the Sigur Ros bandwagon.

Please, just buy it, you will not regret it, but you may lose hours of your life.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2008
It was not my original intention to buy this album as I was searching the internet to find out where I could buy a copy of that wonderful piece of music used on the Planet Earth series on BBC One.

Having discovered that the theme is called Hoppipolla by an Icelandic male group called Sigur Ros, I looked them up on Amazon and found their album Takk after reading much of the positive feedback I purchased a copy.

Well I'm absolutely amazed at the original sound from this group, the music is very different and I find it easier to listen with headphones and you then get the full beauty of the sound. Obviously you get the full version of Hoppipolla which never fails to move me to tears. But the rest of the album is outstanding and definitely makes you think of icelandic volcanoes and amazing frozen scenery. A simply wonderful album.
on 9 April 2006
Hopelandic, Icelandic it makes no difference..the music is quite simply stunning. "Hoppipolla" (or "Jumpin/Hoppin in Puddles" as is translated) is only one of many reasons i have fallen totally in love with Sigur Ros. The pace and mood of Takk flows so elequently it will almost certainly raise a few hairs or bring a tear to the eye, such is the effect of their music. Previous albums have shown that this group are not only consistently beautiful but also progressively magical. Natural beauty (in the realm of music) is a rare and precious thing..lets hope its looked after with due care. For it is hope, that this Icelandic group brings not just to music, but more importantly, brings to life.
Takk...Sigur Ros :-)
on 17 September 2005
I like albums that seem to suggest their own unique little universe, where the sound, style and overall presentation offer us a window into said universe, and a clue to further understanding the themes and motifs featured therein. Now, this may sound a little over-emotive to some, but I feel that Sigur Ros, with their strange soundscapes and beguiling use of instrumentation, really invite such reactions, with previous albums like Von and Agaetis Byrjun showing them to be one of the most unique, distinctive and imaginative bands currently at work.
Takk is no exception... continuing the sound of their second and third albums to create a musical amalgamation, meaning that the sound of Takk is both fragile and abrasive, with the songs continually shifting tempo and momentum to go from delicate ambience to epic, heart-breaking noise, and then back again. It's a strange album even by the band's previous standards, featuring a sound that is much more minimal and restrained than 2003's "brackets" album, with the more rock-like songs that made up the second half of that great work really being relegated in favour of more obscure sounds; with electronic pulses, blips and synthetic strings taking over from the distorted guitar noise and nonsense harmonies. Of course, the vocals will still be nonsense to those of us that don't speak Icelandic... though, it must be said that as with their last album, we still get the emotional intention of the songs through the evocative use of instrumentation, and the raw vocal power of lead-singer Jonsi.
As with Agaetis Byrjun and "brackets", Takk is an album best listened to from beginning to end, as ultimately, all the songs end up blurring into one another and thus, creating one long and lovely piece of work that moves forward and progresses naturally. Opening with the title track; an extended piece of atmospherics that blurs seamlessly into the lulled and intoxicating Glosoli - a song that couples a gentle music-box melody with sound effects that seem to suggest heavy boots marching on cobbles, as those angelic vocals croon ambient choral noise throughout - this could (and should) be seen as the next logical step forward for a band that have already pushed the musical limitations to breaking point. The album is continually interesting, especially when some of the songs end up incorporating pop-melodies and more melodic ideas, like those fantastic horn arrangements towards the end of Se Lest, or the orchestration that pops up throughout.
Saeglopur is one of the most stunning pieces of music that the band has ever created... beginning with some delicate piano and a cacophony of different processed vocal harmonies, it eventually metamorphoses into something much more volatile, with immense percussion and a wall of distorted guitars blazing away, as the lulled vocals continue without change. In terms of the overall mood and atmosphere that is created by the unexpected shifts in tempo, as the song once again breaks down into something more ambient towards the end, is easily on a par with the last two albums released by British band Talk Talk, principally speaking, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. It also reminds me of the last two Björk albums, Vespertine and Medulla, with many of the songs here, particularly that Eno-esque opening track, sounding like the missing instrumental takes of the largely a-capella Medulla (songs like Volkuro and Show Me Forgiveness really wouldn't sound out of place here), whilst it also brings to mind the more minimal moments of Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac records.
Track seven, Milano, has a similar structure to the song that came before, beginning with a gentle melody bolstered by the ambient-lite production, before the whole thing takes off into a more epic phase... only to pull back again towards the end for the lengthy and almost instrumental coda, which again takes off into the same epic territory moments before the song slows down to a close for the real climax. There's no 'half album quite/half album loud' concept here, the songs mutate from minute to minute, incorporating a variety of different musical textures that cover everything from rock, to jazz and classical, with hints of ambient-electronic music making itself known in the production and overall atmospherics, whilst you can even finds elements of world music, orchestral music and gospel. Gong is another highlight; a song that pushes the Talk Talk/Radiohead influence to it's fullest, whilst also building on the sound of the Sigur Ros albums that came before. There's an obvious jazz-influence in the use of percussion, which juxtaposes nicely with the subtle use of strings, the sweeping vocals and the great use of guitar.
The closing run of songs is great, continuing the sound of the preceding tracks and establishing a sound that is cohesive and continually interesting, with each song merging into the next, bringing to mind the sound and overall sense of emotional transcendence of their last album, which is still my favourite, despite both Agaetis Byrjun and this coming exceedingly close. The final song, Heysatan is transcendent beauty at it's most intoxicating, bringing this strange and beautiful little album to a close perfectly and, perhaps, pointing it's way forward to a new phase in the career of Sigur Ros.
the moment where Sigur Ros' otherworldly noise hit unforgettable choruses, Takk ... is a uncompromising record with few concessions to conventional song structure or words and creates a world beyond words where sound is a painkiller that takes reality away.