on 3 April 2015
The vinyl was one of the very first ones in my collection, after kids records and the obligatory Electric Light Orchestra, Sweet, and - lo and behold - Public Image, Ltd. I think I had my mother buy it, because of the interesting cover. And I did get hooked right away. This was punk-pop of the highest mark, and it was "Pretty Green" that caught me off guard, the bass riff urging everyone to dance. The social commentary was lost to me for a while - I was after the beat and aggression - but it did not take long to get the message. Reading texts on Paul Weller afterwards have made it even easier to grasp the meaning of these lyrics. And yet he - just as Mr. Clapton - was apparently a bit right-wing to start with. No trace of that here: he is furious, and seems to run forward, dragging the other players with him, towards the ballot box, and they can hardly keep pace. I must say that I bought it because of the convenience rather than the extra tracks on disc 2, so I cannot really comment on it.
on 27 April 2017
Had this album on CD for many years, great to get it on vinyl. Sounds great, very happy with the purchase
on 20 November 2010
I was a punk in the 70s but never really took to The Jam yet Going Underground is one of my favourite singles (which I never bought). The Style Council baffled me - how could he get from there to here??? But lately I've got into Paul Weller and realised the error of my ways. So having bought several CDs of his solo stuff I thought I'd buy this Deluxe Edition of Sound Affects and I have no complaints.
Considering the music is 30 years old it still sounds very fresh. The bonus CD contains Beatles & Kinks covers which I find fascinating - how about covers of The Move and The Herd?
on 30 December 2012
I'm a life long Jam fan and have the original vinyl of Sound Affects and have been recently collecting the 30th anniversary reissues of The Jam albums. I'd read some Amazon reviews that the mastering and sound quality on the reissues was very thin and tinny but I've not noticed any poor quality on my hi fi. The second cd of demos and outtakes is a must for any Jam fan, several of the tracks have appeared on Extras and the Direction Reaction Creation box set but there are a few on here that I've not heard before. For me the most interesting of these are the early demo of Boy About Town with different lyrics and the demo of Set the House Ablaze which has a great ending. It's a lovely package with the booklet and the original artwork and well worth the less than £6 I paid for it.
on 30 January 2018
just a must have for any jam fan
on 30 January 2018
One of the best jam albums. Man in the corner shop is a classic song
on 17 October 2016
another classic album from the jam
on 24 July 2016
Brought as a gift, i know a few songs off her from my childhood.
on 27 November 2016
Excellent item
on 17 December 2017
Forgot how great this album was - it was on vinyl the first time round I bought it. Good service from seller