Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 24 October 2011
(This review might be slightly different to the listed product).

Its some time since I've listened to this album, (since listening to it religiously back in October 1998 when at University).

1. How Long's A Tear Take To Dry : A very upbeat start to the album, with a whole assortment of instruments.

2. The Lure Of The Sea : "If I walk like a fool, maybe I've walked liked that since school." This is a markedly better song than, "How Long's A Tear Take To Dry."
The chorus is great :
"Maybe its the lure of the sea..maybe its the lure of the sea."
"..Could be I'm a su&ker for the sea."
"Suicide is just the anarchist which kicks down modersty."
"The look in my eyes because my belt's broke free."
As the number goes on the chorus gets more powerful and then it goes into a great keyboard instrumental culminating in the final chorus, (with some great accompanying guitar).

3. Big Coin : This is a slower number but still hasn't an element of power to it.
"Big coin that you toss for heads or tails, that you let slip down the drain, didn't find where it landed."

4. Dumb : If I remember correctly The Beautiful South released this as a single.
"It doesn't take a mathematican to add a simple sum. Either you are beautiful or I'm dumb.."
"It doesn't take Robert the Bruce to see the web you've spun."

5. The Slide : This song just sounds plain wierd right from the word go.
"Don't take the slide, heroes and villans have tried and cried."
"A broken soul at the bottom."

6. Look What I Found In My Beer : And from the plain wierd to the even wierder!
"Look what I've found in my beer. A couple of dancing ladies and a ticket out of here."
"Look what he's found in his gin."

7. The Table :
"This table has four steady legs.. I've been sat upon, I've spat upon, carried like a stretcher, I've been dined upon."
"This table has been pushed against the door. Banged upon with knuckles my friend."

8. Window Shopping For Blinds : Bottom line, I really have no time for this song.

9. Pockets : And so my review of this album ends.
Back in 1998 I loved this album but I pure and simple have a different taste in music now and simply have heard this album too much to be able to enjoy it!
on 4 February 2000
This was the first record of the Beautiful South I bought. I had always liked their music but I had never realised I was a fan. After the release of Perfect 10 I decided to buy this album. In fact this was the first modern record I bought this decade. After I heard this I quickly went out and bought all their other albums.
This is one of my favourites of all their albums. It is a lot more up tempo than the previous album(Blue is The Colour) and sounds so different it could be a different band. Although I do like that one as much as this it is nice that they are so different. This is a lively album apart from two ballards. It would have been nice if Dave Hemmingway had got more of a look in on this album, he is only singing lead vocals on two songs. I like all the tracks on this record but I must admit I am not so keen on 'I may be Ugly'. My favourite tracks are:- Lure of the Sea, Big Coin, Perfect 10, The Slide, Look What I Found In My Beer and Window Shopping For Blinds.
on 7 December 1999
For many years now The Beautiful South have recorded song upon song about the negative effects of alchohol, and thus it seems fitting that their latest effort be named "Quench". With vocalist Jackie Abbott now totally comfortable (she's now been in the band longer than her previous counter-part Briana Corrigan) the band find themselves on top form!
"The Lure Of The Sea" is a beautiful yet morbid tune about suicide, "Your Father And I" about the wonderful world of failed marriage and "I May Be Ugly" speaks for itself, yet you still come away from listening to this album feeling upbeat and happy.
Heaton how do you do it!
on 4 December 1999
Quench has to be the best album that the Beautiful South has recorded so far, containing catchy songs and beautiful melodies - Heaton/Rotheray come up trumps! Of course the most successful song on the album is Perfect 10, and everyone knows why... A treat for south fans everywhere - but great for everyone!
on 16 November 1999
This is a typical album - great 'happy' tunes counterbalanced with dark lyrics with the usual twists. All the old subjects are back - failed relationships, alcoholism, family troubles, suicide. Not very appealing on the surface, but genuinely good stuff - HONEST!
on 26 July 2000
This album is another great one from the beautiful south, and amyone who likes beautiful south should get it. Relaxed but meaningful this album is very good
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2008
Barcode: 0731453816626

I've always been a big fan of the Beautiful South and every album of theirs contains fantastic pop songs that are as witty as they are catchy, truly memorable in their charm. But in my eyes, it is Quench that represents their most consistent work, practically every song single worthy, it's reaching number 1 in the UK album's chart a testimony to its strength as an album.

Things kick off with the up-tempo single 'How Long's A Tear Take To Dry?', seeing the band at their more country edge, it sets the feel for the album as a whole, vocals and intrumentation bold and confident in their capability. 'The flowers smell sweeter, the closer you are to the grave' being just one of many classic Beautiful South lines.

The Lure Of The Sea is a jazzy little number, dreamy piano and organ driving a right winner of a track before slipping into Big Coin, a delightful ballad.

Dumb is another album highlight, starting with a perfect combo of guitar and strings - it's classic 70s styled soft-pop-rock. Next we have Perfect 10, one of the band's biggest hits, reaching number 2 in the singles charts. The Elvis esque vocals deliver one of the band's most catchy, memorable choruses - a perfect example of the Beutiful South 'sound' and if any of their songs is perfect to introduce the band to new fans, it would be this one. A brilliant song.

The Slide, The Table, Window Shopping For Blinds present further ballads while Pockets starts with a nice little Red Hot Chili Peppers esque funky guitar hook. Perhaps the true winner though is album closer, Your Father And I - the storytelling aspect of the song completely winning in its appeal. I don't know what it is about this sopng but it seems like everything comes together here, like the album itself, presenting the band at their most confident - it truly sounds as if they really enjoyed themselves making these songs. Without a doubt, Quench is a classic album and one of my personal faves - fantastic from start to finish. Buy it!
Another great 13 tracks from Hull's greatest musical export, the Beautiful South. Combining their usual cynical and bitter outlook on life with jazzy, jaunty tunes they have crafted another album packed with some perfect pop. Following the pattern laid down in their previous release, Blue is the Colour, there is a mixture of radio friendly singles (Perfect 10) and some slower, more `difficult' material (I may be Ugly), and not as much boundary pushing as on early albums.

With some cracking arrangements, classic soulful vocals, lyrics which have something to say and great album cover art, this is one of my favourites from the BS back catalogue.
on 14 May 2014
The South's 6th studio outing is, once again, well worth listening too. Paul Heaton and Jacqueline Abbott's vocals always seem to blend together well and the opening track 'How Long's A Tear Take To Dry?' is the perfect example of this happy union. The best known track is the delicious 'Perfect 10' with 'Dumb' completing the trio of Top 20 singles included here. Overall, I don't like this collection as much as its predecessor 1996's 'Blue Is The Colour' but I would still recommend this album to lovers of intelligent pop music everywhere.
on 10 August 2017
I all ways love this one just got it new again very good