Top critical review
One person found this helpful
Not What It Was When I Listend To It Back In Late 1998.
on 24 October 2011
(This review might be slightly different to the listed product).
Its some time since I've listened to this album, (since listening to it religiously back in October 1998 when at University).
1. How Long's A Tear Take To Dry : A very upbeat start to the album, with a whole assortment of instruments.
2. The Lure Of The Sea : "If I walk like a fool, maybe I've walked liked that since school." This is a markedly better song than, "How Long's A Tear Take To Dry."
The chorus is great :
"Maybe its the lure of the sea..maybe its the lure of the sea."
"..Could be I'm a su&ker for the sea."
"Suicide is just the anarchist which kicks down modersty."
"The look in my eyes because my belt's broke free."
As the number goes on the chorus gets more powerful and then it goes into a great keyboard instrumental culminating in the final chorus, (with some great accompanying guitar).
3. Big Coin : This is a slower number but still hasn't an element of power to it.
"Big coin that you toss for heads or tails, that you let slip down the drain, didn't find where it landed."
4. Dumb : If I remember correctly The Beautiful South released this as a single.
"It doesn't take a mathematican to add a simple sum. Either you are beautiful or I'm dumb.."
"It doesn't take Robert the Bruce to see the web you've spun."
5. The Slide : This song just sounds plain wierd right from the word go.
"Don't take the slide, heroes and villans have tried and cried."
"A broken soul at the bottom."
6. Look What I Found In My Beer : And from the plain wierd to the even wierder!
"Look what I've found in my beer. A couple of dancing ladies and a ticket out of here."
"Look what he's found in his gin."
7. The Table :
"This table has four steady legs.. I've been sat upon, I've spat upon, carried like a stretcher, I've been dined upon."
"This table has been pushed against the door. Banged upon with knuckles my friend."
8. Window Shopping For Blinds : Bottom line, I really have no time for this song.
9. Pockets : And so my review of this album ends.
Back in 1998 I loved this album but I pure and simple have a different taste in music now and simply have heard this album too much to be able to enjoy it!