Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 15 May 2017
I remember listening to this way back in 1998 when big and bulky hi-fi systems were in the house. Back then we used to play card games, and board games and music like this was always in the background. Great rock music with great singers and it was really because of these guys that I got a real taste of what real music was. Well that and Bon Jovi. Awesome times. When music was about the music and that was enough.
Another great 13 tracks from Hull's greatest musical export, the Beautiful South. Combining their usual cynical and bitter outlook on life with jazzy, jaunty tunes they have crafted another album packed with some perfect pop. Following the pattern laid down in their previous release, Blue is the Colour, there is a mixture of radio friendly singles (Perfect 10) and some slower, more `difficult' material (I may be Ugly), and not as much boundary pushing as on early albums.

With some cracking arrangements, classic soulful vocals, lyrics which have something to say and great album cover art, this is one of my favourites from the BS back catalogue.
on 13 May 2017
Another great CD from the BS
on 5 May 2017
Excellent
on 31 January 2005
With its dark and moody front cover and the depressing and gloomy song subjects like alcoholism, family break-up and suicide it's a real wonder than somehow the whole package of Quench ends up being a jolly, upbeat and inspiring album.
Perhaps it's the style in which the songs are performed. Tackling a multitude of styles they all seem to tick along at a good upbeat pace, the gospel influenced "The Slide", the Big Band sound of "Look what I've found in my beer" or the almost late-night cabaret bass and piano of "Big Coin"
Perhaps it's the very clever lyrics, examples of which are far to numerous to mention here but they are so good it's an album where reading the booklet is really worth it.
Perhaps it's the superb voice of Jacqueline Abbott who outshines both Paul Heaton and Dave Hemmingway (but both support wonderfully well) and really comes into her own on this album.
Anyway, enough of the perhaps-es, one thing is definite, this is one excellent album and is thoroughly recommended.
on 29 August 2006
The South at their most convincing and cohesive this is a 13 track pleasure showing a band at the peak of their powers. From the infectious "Perfect 10", the tender "Big Coin", the sublime "The Slide", "Quench" is an accomplished success.

By the time "Your Father And I" concludes this album, it is clear that The South have found a groove that works for them.

Heaton & Rotheray deliver a quality set of tunes here and the musicianship and production is very good.
on 7 December 1999
For many years now The Beautiful South have recorded song upon song about the negative effects of alchohol, and thus it seems fitting that their latest effort be named "Quench". With vocalist Jackie Abbott now totally comfortable (she's now been in the band longer than her previous counter-part Briana Corrigan) the band find themselves on top form!
"The Lure Of The Sea" is a beautiful yet morbid tune about suicide, "Your Father And I" about the wonderful world of failed marriage and "I May Be Ugly" speaks for itself, yet you still come away from listening to this album feeling upbeat and happy.
Heaton how do you do it!
on 2 March 2001
This was the first Beautiful South record I bought. The first thing that struck me when I heard this album was how the lyrics were very clever, and also quite amusing, especially those of 'How long's a tear take to dry?'. This song is a great start to the album, it's upbeat tempo sets the scene well. The next two tracks, are less upbeat, showing you that this is a varying style album. Then, track 4, is Dumb, which i personally felt should have done a lot better in the charts. Then, from one familiar song to another, you then have Perfect 10, one of the best on the album. The next track Slide, is one of those that grows on you each time you hear it.Then, back go the upbeat style with Look what I found in my beer, a very meaningful song (as are all the songs on the album.) Another two ballads follow, but then comes the only track that I don't like 'I May be Ugly'. Fortunately, the album ends of with two good memorable songs, 'losing things', and 'your father and I'. This is my ratings for each track;-
How long's a tear...:- 10/10 Lure of the Sea:- 8/10 Big Coin:- 8/10 Dumb:- 9/10 Perfect 10:- 10/10 The Slide:- 8/10 Look what I found in my beer:- 9/10 The Table:- 9/10 Window shopping for blinds:- 10/10 Pockets:- 7/10 I may be Ugly:- 2/10 Losing things:- 8/10 Your Father and I:- 8/10
If you like the Beautiful South, you'll love this album.
on 24 October 2011
(This review might be slightly different to the listed product).

Its some time since I've listened to this album, (since listening to it religiously back in October 1998 when at University).

1. How Long's A Tear Take To Dry : A very upbeat start to the album, with a whole assortment of instruments.

2. The Lure Of The Sea : "If I walk like a fool, maybe I've walked liked that since school." This is a markedly better song than, "How Long's A Tear Take To Dry."
The chorus is great :
"Maybe its the lure of the sea..maybe its the lure of the sea."
"..Could be I'm a su&ker for the sea."
"Suicide is just the anarchist which kicks down modersty."
"The look in my eyes because my belt's broke free."
As the number goes on the chorus gets more powerful and then it goes into a great keyboard instrumental culminating in the final chorus, (with some great accompanying guitar).

3. Big Coin : This is a slower number but still hasn't an element of power to it.
"Big coin that you toss for heads or tails, that you let slip down the drain, didn't find where it landed."

4. Dumb : If I remember correctly The Beautiful South released this as a single.
"It doesn't take a mathematican to add a simple sum. Either you are beautiful or I'm dumb.."
"It doesn't take Robert the Bruce to see the web you've spun."

5. The Slide : This song just sounds plain wierd right from the word go.
"Don't take the slide, heroes and villans have tried and cried."
"A broken soul at the bottom."

6. Look What I Found In My Beer : And from the plain wierd to the even wierder!
"Look what I've found in my beer. A couple of dancing ladies and a ticket out of here."
"Look what he's found in his gin."

7. The Table :
"This table has four steady legs.. I've been sat upon, I've spat upon, carried like a stretcher, I've been dined upon."
"This table has been pushed against the door. Banged upon with knuckles my friend."

8. Window Shopping For Blinds : Bottom line, I really have no time for this song.

9. Pockets : And so my review of this album ends.
Back in 1998 I loved this album but I pure and simple have a different taste in music now and simply have heard this album too much to be able to enjoy it!
on 14 May 2014
The South's 6th studio outing is, once again, well worth listening too. Paul Heaton and Jacqueline Abbott's vocals always seem to blend together well and the opening track 'How Long's A Tear Take To Dry?' is the perfect example of this happy union. The best known track is the delicious 'Perfect 10' with 'Dumb' completing the trio of Top 20 singles included here. Overall, I don't like this collection as much as its predecessor 1996's 'Blue Is The Colour' but I would still recommend this album to lovers of intelligent pop music everywhere.