on 1 March 2014
An excellent value CD with two early LP's contained on it. 'Shirley' is a very early LP and contains many 'standards' well rendered in the early Bassey style - clean and well sung and with more or less standard arrangements. 'Lets face the music' was, I think, the first she did with a big American conductor/arranger (earlier she was with Geoff Love) and I feels it suffers with more emphasis on the orchestra than to her and both she and the songs consequently suffer. Certainly not one of my favourites but I'm glad to have it nevertheless. ACD
on 10 August 2004
These two albums are Shirley Bassey in her early days as a
performer - recorded both in the early 1960's.
Great musical accompaniment, the voice is not the full developed Bassey of the late 60's early 70's but the promise is there!
Wouls have given the cd 5 stars BUT for one.....small point BOTH albums have already had a cd release (Individually) and several Shirley Bassey albums are yet still to be issued on cd. So come on please EMI release more digital Bassey from the vinyl vaults.
on 12 May 2010
Disagree with the previous reviewer. I think this is pretty much the finished article here and there is no denying the power and quality of Shirley's voice. The songs are wonderful as well, long before all that Hey Big Spender crap. I wouldn't have minded a magnifying glass to read the original sleeve notes though.
on 26 May 2013
Had the LP's back in the day...so no surprises there, except for the fact that we had to lose a couple of tracks due to time constraints.For me it lost a star for that reason only.
on 15 February 2013
Ordered this CD purely for the Let's Face the Music album. I already have it on vinyl, so was disappointed to discover that 3 of the original tracks have been omitted
on 6 October 2014
Very pleased with my purchase
on 26 April 2011
great music. great price. 2 songs missing off the nelson riddle album.
would have left them on and took 2 from geoff love album. mentions
this in the booklet. one is recorded with riddle, the other with love.