Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.09

on 4 June 2009
Oh well, just have to wait until someone re-releases the original 'Hit Maker' album again. I bought the original album in 1966 as my girlfriend (now my wife)and I were both Bacharach fans. We lived a distance apart and for a long while could only meet on Saturdays and the track 'Saturday Sunshine' became our song and for years I have tried to get the track on CD. So you can imagine my dissapointment when we played this CD every other original track was there except for 'Saturday Sunshine' which was a different recording. Bah. Never mind, as with all Bacharach albums the music is stirring, emotional and memorable. An excellent early album.
on 9 July 2013
As a young lad, I bought the original vinyl album of this studio recording session for Kapp Records in the mid 1960's. It was a real favourite and in the then new, stereophonic sound, I loved the orchestrations which Burt Bacharach had created for his orchestra and the singers. It's a shame that we still have never found out the identity of the musicians and the soloist singers who love these new songs and give perfect performances for the up and coming master. Bacharach had endorsements for his creativity, arranging and original composition, by some of the best, like Jack Jones, Marlene Dietrich, Gene Pitney, to name a few. An exciting era of the late twentieth century, that fell outside the established writers of Broadway and Tin pan Alley in the pre-War era. The Brill Building was the home of this new breed of creative pop song tunesmiths who were to wow us for the next twenty years. Neil Diamond, Paul Anka, Gene Pitney, Neil Sedaka, Jerry Goffin & Carole King, these were the new voices of the post war American hit parades.
on 20 August 2011
Burt Bacharach Trains, Boats And Planes

A huge hit in Great Britain, summer '65.

Hypnotising piece. A reverie. Takes away all pain and forlorn, sets the listener on a odyssey.

Not bad for a 2 minute 43 second work.

Gave rise to the Composer's first solo album.

Burt Bacharach Hit Maker!

Kapp Label.

Made in England.

Popular.

Re-issued in '69, with a new title and different album cover.

Burt Bacharach Plays His Hits.

Lady in a Mary Quant dress.

Less songs.

Retail Record stores carried it for many years.

I purchased my re-issue on vinyl, fall of '78.

How many times have I listened to Burt Bacharach Plays His Hits?

Oh, thousand, maybe.

Rather addicting. Hard to disengage.

Defies Industry Standard.

Side 1. Trains, Boats And Planes

Stirring melody. Really has a way of taking off.

My Little Red Book (All I Do Is Talk About You) featuring Tony Middleton.

Guaranteed to raise the body temperature a few degrees.

Anyone Who Had A Heart

Most inviting.

There's Always Something There To Remind Me

Listen for the rave up, it really swings.

Twenty Hours From Tulsa

Pulsating.

Walk On By

A fever pitch. Unique blend of instrumental and vocal. Breathtaking.

Stop.

Record needle lifts off the turntable.

Clicking from the automatic arm.

Deafening.

Rise from chair, jump into action, turn the album over, re-engage the automatic arm, flop back into cushion.

Catch your breath.

Burt Bacharach Plays His Hits

Side 2. Wives & Lovers

Let our Composer spell out how things are going to be from now on.

Don't Make Me Over

Very intimate, starts off quiet and builds to a grand crescendo.

Blue On Blue

Secrets murmers of the heart, object of desire.

Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Scores high.

What's New Pussycat featuring Joel Grey.

A friend makes good on a old debt.

My old vinyl copy ends here.

I purchased the compact disc after its' initial release in '97.

The first album I went hunting for when I signed onto amazon.com

Available for download.

2 excellent Japanese compact disc pressings, one with the original cover artwork for Burt Bacharach Hit Maker! and the other with the Mary Quant dress.

All compact disc versions feature the 2 songs dropped from the '69 vinyl re-issue.

A House Is Not A Home and The Last One To Be Loved, and 2-3 Bonus Tracks.

Saturday Sunshine. And So Goodbye My Love. Sail Along Silv'ly Moon.

The Japanese Manufacture Label are to be commended.

Definitive versions of Burt Bacharach's groundbreaking first Solo album.

When I had an opportunity to meet Burt Bacharach fall of '98, I had over 35 of his LP albums and 11 of his CD's.

I had to chose an item that was currently on the Market for him to sign.

What would you chose.

Burt Bacharach Plays His Hits.

Jolly Good.
on 15 June 2012
The sight of a dolly bird may please some but the original sleeve was far better and was an icon of the times.Instead it throws Bacharach into the same area as the Ray Coniff Singers or Bert Kaempfert in the sense that they figured that using a sex symbol type image would sell more copies.
Yet this is an important album because it was the breakthrough of Bacharach in the U K and its attendant single Trains & Boats & Planes was not only covered a few times but ended up as the hit
Most of this album was actually recorded in the U K and the girl group heard on a few songs was the Breakaways who were a spin off from the Vernons Girls and in a sense made Bacharach part of the British Invasion especially as Manfred Mann had made the original version of My Little Red Book and Tom Jones likewise with What's New Pussycat.
Bacharach's link with Britain was revisited in the 2000s with the Elvis Costello collaboration