Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 21 January 2017
Vinyl Copy - The mastering is poor on this re release. The volume needs to be turned up way past normal listening levels to get it to a listenable level. Wellers voice is hidden at the back and many of the instruments sound like they were played in another room to the recording studio. There is frequent pressing noise during and inbetween tracks. Even my wife thought it sounded 'odd.' We both know this album very well and know how it should sound. On the plus side, the sleeve is very good quality and the hidden printed 'fiver' is a nice touch. The graphics and printing is great. The poster is muddled and could have been better. Also this vinyl arrived flat i.e. with no warp. I ordered this record back in August 2016 and after all this waiting it is a shame.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2017
Arrived quickly, well packaged, brilliant cd, I bought it to replace an old & much loved but scratched cd.
on 25 July 2017
arrived on time. great cd. thanks
on 22 November 2016
Paul Weller.
on 29 May 2015
Very helpful, very nice, nothing too much trouble - an excellent seller
on 4 August 2004
In '92, Paul Weller returned to the fray with his excellent eponymous debut solo album. The following year, he treated us to "Wild Wood", his second solo piece. He manages to channel his own influences into what has become an inspirational album for many of his Brit-Pop disciples. The criticisms levelled at the album, (and indeed Weller in general) usually fall along the "wears his influences on his sleeve" lines. To many, it isn't the fact that he credits his influences, more the fact that the results (in Wild Wood) are such a joy to behold. Weller has never been shy to cite artists worthy of his respect, and it seems unfair to penalise him for his honesty.
Wild Wood is an earthy, natural sounding album, with plenty of acoustic work and a few strangle-your-guitar-and-squawk-into-the-microphone moments. The album is enhanced by the understated yet noticeable production techniques of friend and collaborator Brendan Lynch. Weller's voice is by turns warm and gritty as necessary, his guitar style varied and efficient, and his compositions diverse yet cut-from-the-same-cloth. Steve White's punchy drum sound adds much to the album, never intrusive, but always supportive and interesting.
An album which sees Weller's career as a solo artist start to take shape after the fantastic, yet dissimilar first album, Wild Wood deserves a place in any record collection, as an example of a seasoned song-writer in top form.
I recommend the (Japanese) Pony Canyon release "More Wood" which collects b-sides and remixes from the same era, all of which are top-notch, and could have happily nestled in amongst the finalised "Wild Wood" track-listing.
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2006
'Wild Wood' represents a big leap forward after the fake soul of The Style Council. The album has soul, but it's a natural inflection rather than a forced imitation of black music. For me, 'All The Pictures On The Wall' demonstrates this the best with its bold acoustic rhythms. Throughout the album, Weller's band display a hearty appetite for the music they're playing. They're as solid as any seasoned rock band, but their style is rooted more in the 1960s. This album and 'Stanley Road' complement each other and there are parallels. 'Sunflower' and 'The Changingman' open both albums in a similar fashion, for example, with simple, repetitive guitar figures. 'Stanley Road' has better songs, however, while 'Wild Wood' is more satisfying in terms of style. The device of including four brief interludes is effective, breaking up the songs to keep them fresh while giving the album a distinct aura.

Perhaps it's the content that falls marginally short of greatness. Weller's songwriting isn't as hard-hitting as in the days of The Jam, though some anger is still there. The title track, though, an alternative metaphor to 'concrete jungle' offers positive wisdom, something the angry young Weller didn't do much. 'Shadow Of The Sun' doesn't warrant seven minutes, however, and the extended instrumental passage only proves that he's better with three-minute songs. It's a minor criticism, though. 'Wild Wood' is largely a satisfying album.
on 8 June 2017
I looked forward, like many Weller fans, for this reissue in vinyl only to find the price totally outrageous for an album that had already made it's money. To add insult to injury, the sound quality is shockingly poor, and is noticeably muffled and muted. Anyone familiar with this classic will recognise the issues of this master as they play. I prefer to listen to this album via lossy format in Google Play Music, which I usually reserve for the car.

A great shame that a classic record of my generation is treated so shoddily, as well as the listeners. This is not what we expect when we buy vinyl recordings at a premium.
I bought my first Jam single in 1978 and stuck by PW and his music up to the splendid "Into Tomorrow" single way back when. However, I then became disillusioned and admit that I turned into one of the dreaded "his solo stuff isn't as good as The Jam/Style Council" nightmares. That statement was spoken parrot fashion to anyone who mentioned the two words PAUL and WELLER to me in the same sentence. My argument always came unstuck however, if anyone DARED to ask me if I'd actually listened to anyone his solo material...of course we know the answer to that one, don't we?!

Last Summer I was listening yet again to "Our Favourite Shop" and I went through one of those periods where - and men will understand this - you suddenly for no apparent reason become obsessed with a particular artist again; I played the Council and The Jam constantly, read as much material as I could on Weller and generally annoyed my wife for a couple of months. It was after she said that she'd divorce me if she ever heard "The Dreams Of Children" again that I thought, well, maybe now that I'm a mature, easy kind of guy in his early 40's, I should really give Weller's solo stuff a go, so I did. I started with this album, "Wild Wood". I never looked back.

Why on earth didn't I buy this stuff years ago? "Wild Wood" is a joy, beautiful songs beautifully played. "Sunflower" kicks the whole album off and right-away I recognised the guitar refrain. There were others I'd heard before, "The Weaver", for example, so not everything was new to me. "Wild Wood" is acoustic; is laid-back; is understated; is perfect for Summer. It's just a shame that I took 15 years to realise.

Sorry Paul.
on 16 February 2017
I'd have to disagree with one of the other reviews - to these ears the pressing sounds superb. The vinyl is a little quieter than the cd perhaps but a small turn of the volume and the music coming out of my speakers is rich, clear and with good separation. The sleeve has been reproduced better than the debut album so only the price tag let's it down. Great to have this on vinyl finally - seems like yesterday I bought this in the early nineties. Enjoy.