on 18 October 2013
I should say right away that I'm reviewing the content without going into the minutia of which remaster is best. It's hard to believe, now, that this was only the second album made by the Moodies with their classic line-up. The sheer adventurousness and ambition of the album is that of a far more mature band. In many ways it's something of a forgotten Moodies album. Their 1967 album, `Days of Future Passed' contained the classic `Nights in White Satin' for which they are still best remembere. A shame, for never before, and hardly ever since, have The Moody Blues sounded as innovative, progressive, talented, or just plain daring, as on this 1968 classic.

For `Lost Chord' they dispensed with an orchestra altogether; instead, applying themselves to a multitude of instruments and armed with the mighty mellotron, they would be their own orchestra. The Moody Blues were at their best in the studio, and never more so than on `Lost Chord'.

There cannot be many introductions as eerie and mysterious as Graeme Edge's softly spoken piece outlining the plot of the album, that of finding a chord heard once, that, apparently, holds the key to a mysterious enlightenment. There's a great single in Ride my see-saw, by far the most orthodox track on the album. Dr Livingstone is Ray Thomas' usual light relief, here emphasising the quest and managing to provide an entertaining and light hearted song into the bargain. Then we have House of Four Doors, on which the mellotron is put to marvellous use; they sound as they were often referred to - the smallest symphony orchestra in the world! Legend of a mind is Ray in serious mode with this great tribute to Timothy Leary.

The album flows superbly well, the sound quality is excellent, and if the group slightly over-reach themselves on Visons of Paradise (gulp) the concluding sequence of tracks more than makes up for it, especially with Om; Mike Pinder - always a genius at ending albums - complete with sitar and Ray Thomas' flute, slowly transports the listener away on a magic carpet of Eastern meditation.

On later albums the Moodies abandoned the themed album in favour of song collections, but it's their early albums they are still best known for, and for me, `Lost Chord' is the best of the lot.
on 20 April 2006
Got all 4 of the new Moody Blues reissues <all but DOFP> yesterday. I grew up with these lp's when they were released. I was happy with the last remasters, but these are really special. I don't have surround yet, so I am listening to the stereo layer. Other than being mastered loud, like everything these days, I have to say I love them! The packaging is exquisite - you can tell these are UK releases: laminated covers and excellent design, packaging and printing. Lots of very good photos I've never seen in the booklets, and great, informative liner notes. I have an "average" system at best, and have been listening on headphones as I do with 95% of music when at home. These may be the cds that finally get me moving towards upgrading my system to enjoy the surround experience.

My two bits: get them now! Glad I did - heck, I might even get DOFP to complete the set now that I know how nice they are. Excellent additions to my classic rock library.
on 18 April 2006
I was extremely excited when the re-release of the first five Moody Blues albums was announced a few months ago. The press releases made much ado about bonus tracks and surround sound mixes in dual-layer SACD format. I immediately pre-ordered them all. Well, I just received them in the mail and was a little disappointed to discover that, unlike the other four albums, ISOTLC did not include a surround mix. The SACD layer is 2-channel stereo only. The sound quality is still great and I love getting bonus tracks- but my real interest is hearing the Moody Blues in full surround (albeit "quadraphonic"). At this point I'm wondering if this was a mastering error, of if this one album was just mysteriously skipped for quad/surround treatment by the Moodys.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2013
I've had this album on vinyl for decades and decided to upgrade to this CD - what a lovely surprise! Not only has it got what it says on the tin ("In Search" is such a fab album, there are no bum tracks but many outstanding ones, eg. "The Actor", "Ride my See Saw", "Visions of Paradise", etc, etc), but it also has some great extras, especially "A Simple Game" in 2 versions, one sung by Justin and the other by Mike - I think I like Mike's version best as Justin's brilliant voice is too low, I think, for this particular song (I'm sure many people will disagree with me!!). Another good extra track is Justin's poignant tribute to a fallen soldier, "What am I doing here?" This is a must-have for anyone's Moody Blues collection.
on 11 June 2000
Of all the magical albums produced by the Moody Blues between 1967 and 1972, the best came in 1968. It had an Eastern theme, with plenty of sitar from Hayward and extremely bizzare vocal harmonies. Kicking off with Graeme Edge's maniacal laugh, the album includes some of the best Moodies songs ever written: Thomas's "Legend of a Mind", Hayward's "Visions of Paradise" and "The Actor", Pinder's "Om", the whole album blends together in a truly mind-blowing fashion. It's simultaneously relaxing and stirring, depending on your mood! I cannot describe how good this album is, but you'll know, as you hear the pulse beat in the background after the sitar solo in "Om" (beating Pink Floyd's pulse by a year) that you've heard something truly special. Forget any other five-star ratings: Britney Spears gets them, I know, I've looked. But this is one that MEANS something. Because this was recorded fourteen years before I was born, and it still sounds great to me.
on 16 April 2006
There are technical flaws on this set. Nowhere on the packaging can you discern if this is a CD or an SACD. The first disc is SACD, the second disc is CD. The booklet claims that the surround mix was made from QUAD masters. WRONG!. The SACD has NO surround mix. It is stereo only. But the real insiders knew that. There has NEVER been a QUAD mix of this album. Confused? You bet.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Released during a period of rock ‘n roll psychodelia, this is arguable the Moody Blues most productive and progressive album of the times. Nearly half the songs are still part of their concert listing. “Departure” is another trademark introduction that has been the motif of so many of their albums – a unique and mind-blowing beginning. Highlights include Lodge’s “Ride My See-Saw”, a concert closing song, while “Dr. Livingstone” and “Legend Of A Mind” are still classics that can be heard on the radio almost as much as “Nights In White Satin”. “House Of Four Doors (Part 1 and 2)” provide continuity to the collection and scores of special effects. An earmark of the period is produced with “The Word” followed by “Om”, the only songs that seem dated. Two of the Moody Blues best and most romantic songs are Hayward’s “The Actor”, a truly unique and inventive ballad and “Voices In The Sky”. They are both performed and sung beautifully in concert. Other than “Days Of Future Passed”, this is one of their most popular albums from that period. Plus, just take a look at that cover!
This second historical musical outing took a break from the orchestral pop of "Days Of Future Passes" and dove into the land of psychodelia and rock & roll. There are numerous special sound effects and fantastic song writing. All is emphasized in the SACD format. The alternate mixes of "Departure" and "Visions of Paradise" are worth the set alone. This is a true feast for the ears.

(Note: Disc 1 is an SACD mix made from the original quadraphonic tapes. Disc 2 is the original remastered quadraphonic tapes - not SACD. This is seen as Disc 1 is gold colored and Disc 2 is silver).
on 26 April 2003
This was the first moody blues album I listened to (while very young) and one I find myself returning to. I found it on amazon and inversted in the cd version (up till now it had been my dads Vinyl only. And yes, HE was young when this came out) and have never regreted it.
Even if you don't buy this; beg, borrow or steal it to have a listen! It is well worth the effort (but don't put it down after one go - keep listening)
And if you are of that nature, get into the mindset they were in when they created it. It makes it so much better.
on 4 February 2011
I bought this in vinyl in 1970, and I think this newer version with a couple of extras thrown in is absolutely fantastic. Postage and packaging free too! How good is that? I have it playing non stop in my car. Amazon you are gems. I feel 18 agagin. Thankyou