Customer reviews

on 18 August 2011
Love trying out new music, ordered this album off the back of the excellent reviews it gets on here.

On comes the 1st track and I think wow this is good, very upbeat a little different to whats around at the moment.

I was waiting for the 1st track to end when I glanced at the CD player to discover I was 8 tracks in (Okay im being facetious just a tad). Most bands vary there riff,s and drum beats etc per song (whilst maintaining their sound) LC dont seem to vary their beat in any of the tracks.

Its just okay thats all, I think ill listen to this album for a couple more months then file it in, "yeah I gave it a go but it doesnt really have any longevity" archives

I would imagine the new breed of young pop rock enthusists will enjoy this album more.
on 20 March 2018
What is Soul? That's a question often asked down the years, to which in 1968 Atlantic Records responded with album 'This Is Soul', with Otis Redding, Carla Thomas, Wilson Pickett and others to back up the claim. So 50 years later I pose this question: What is Indie?
Well I can tell you what it isn't; The Feeling, The Script, Coldplay, Snow Patrol and any of those other wishy washy bland out acts that the industry tries to palm off as edgy and alternative. Celebrating it's tenth birthday this year is 'Hold On Now Youngster' the spirited debut from Welsh septet Los Campesinos! , and if anything encapsulated the true Indie ethos it is this.
From the signature tune 'Death To Los Campesinos!' to the mainly instrumental epilogue that recalls "The summer of 2007, the summer that punk rock broke my heart", this is a roller coaster ride that you'll want to jump back on again and again.
'Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats' and 'Don't Tell Me To Do The Maths' are more than just clever song titles, and when they bleed into one another off a wave of stomping handicapping rhythms, guitars, keyboards, violin, and even glockenspiel, you won't even notice the join.
Witty, literate, and extremely well thought out, great numbers like 'my Year In Lists' cram in the lyrics at breakneck speed, with lead singers Gary and Aleksandra Campesinos! { yeah, like the Ramones } utterances usually answered back in exuberant fashion by the other two girls in the set up.
Wordy this album may well be, but never pretentious or dull, and "You said you looked less like the Venus De Milo, and more like your mother in a straight jacket" from 'We Are All Accelerated Readers' is just one great line of many too numerous to mention.
For those more flat footed than twinkle toe'd 'You! Me! Dancing!' is sure to ring a few bells, and after it's long expectant intro it's hilarious percussive break can only be described as Indie clog dance for the millennial generation.
The uplifting and vivacious 'Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks' would, in a perfect world, be booming from radios and invigorating the moribund pop charts, but even if the F-word it houses were dropped, it is alas, never going to happen.
Surprisingly only given 6 /10 by the NME on it's release, 'Hold On Now Youngster' is, ten years on, ripe and ready for re-assessment. With a swelling discography and several personnel changes since then, Los Campesinos! should still look back on this fine debut with pride.
on 23 December 2008
Los Campesinos! highly energetic debut caught the eye in early 2008 with their spunky guitar and shrill lyrics. A highly optimistic and joyful set of tracks from the Welsh seven piece begins with "Death to Los Campesinos!" and continues at the same pace with standout tracks "Don't tell me to Do the math(s)" and "Drop It Doe Eyes" keeping the listeners attention with the urgent and energetic delivery. The lyrics are witty and clever, with examples like

"Drawing tiny little pictures of skeletons,
to get across the sense of impending doom,
and I am seventeen pages through this notebook now,
and they are little more than picture of how I see you,
on a xray machine which is more like a television screen "

being both thoughtful and playful. A similar trick Pavement used for many years. The track of the album is "You! Me! Dancing!". It has all the elements I like in a track. A slow but building din raises the tempo and volume, disguising the melody until it jumps from the noise to ambush you with catchy lyrics, tunes and a fluctuating tempo that makes a good song. It is an awesome end to a very refreshing album.
on 26 August 2008
Los Campesinos! are a seven-piece (four boys and three girls) hailing from Cardiff. Their debut album Hold on Now Youngsters is an absolute indie party riot!

The album is full of perfectly sculpted indie classics. The highly charged, energtic songs are witty, creative and in all honesty brilliant songs leap at you like that first pint of Lager after a long week at work, slap you hard in the face, smile, and invite you to join their party - riotous tunes from start to finish.
No one with an ounce of a music brain should go on any longer without listening to You! Me! Dancing! - definetly a cult classic. That would get even the most cynical of critic bopping up and down. Whilst no other song might be quite as amazing, the rest are still quirky, fast paced indie-pop hits then will make you singalong and smile in similar doses.

Buy the album and more importantly see them live, bigs things in store with album two, I hope!

4 and 1/2 out of 5.
on 12 August 2011
I have felt compelled to write a review for this album for some time. Partly because L.C. are a Cardiff based band and I am from Cardiff and partly because I like to support lesser known bands. But mainly because I keep returning to this album time and time again. There is something about it that keeps calling me back.

I bought this album on the strength of the track Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks which I heard played on the Zane Lowe show on BBC Radio 1 a few years ago. The energy of the song and the infectious tag at the end (one blink for yes, two blinks for no, sweet dreams sweet cheeks, we leave alone) made me stop what I was doing and wonder what the album was like.

On first listening to the album, I was disappointed. Some of the tracks seemed bizarrely titled (This is how you spell "Ha Ha Ha, we destroyed the hopes and dreams of a generation of faux-romantics"), some tracks seemed noisy and hectic (Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats) and others irritated me with their odd lyrics ( e.g. `You said "Send me stationery to make me horny"').

I was just about to eject the CD and relegate it to the Never To Listen To Again box when Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks started to play. It was then that I was reminded of why I had bought the album and of the potential this band has. Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks made me want to jump and dance until I was exhausted and I played it over and over.

After wearing out Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks (word perfect, air guitar perfect, air drums perfect!) I began to explore the rest of the album with more intent. Some of the songs still didn't work for me (Don't Tell Me To Do The Maths) but others began to reveal their beauty like a slow sunrise. You! Me! Dancing! quickly became my outstanding track of the year and probably wore the repeat button out more than Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks. From the slow single chord strums at the start which build and build and build to explode into the first verse right up to the glockenspiel outro, the song is 6mins and 46 seconds of ecstasy and fully deserved its airtime on the Budweiser commercial.

Other moments of genius that have put their hands up over the last few years include the beautiful Knee Deep At ATP which starts off quickly but suddenly turns into a slow and poignant observation of betrayed love (`And I know he took you to the beach, I can tell from how you bite on your cheek every time the sand falls from your insoles').

And We Exhale And Roll Our Eyes In Unison features a bridge section at 1 min 40 secs that just fills you with hope and happiness. It barely lasts a minute but you can see thousands of stadium-going fans singing it over and over whilst the band turn their microphones off and just keep the beat going.

And the final hidden untitled track is a delightful but short eclectic mix of keyboards, drums, guitars, glockenspiel, strings and what sounds like bagpipes! It fits the bill perfectly as a closing track. I just wish there were more words.

So this album has been an evolution for me. Even today, I still hear something new every time I listen to it. It tells me that sometimes music has to be worked at. That sometimes music is not always obvious. That sometimes music keeps the moments of genius to itself until you have earned the right to hear them. I love this album and can't wait for the next. Long live Los Campesinos!
on 1 May 2008
I love discovering new music, and having heard this at a friends house recently, this is for me the best album by a new band I have bought in the last year.
Los Campesinos sound to me like a mixture of `Arcade Fire', `The Pixies' & `The Go! Team' all mixed into one - although I would tone down the expection of all that down one notch.
This is a self-assured debut album full of intelligent, catchy lyrics overlaid with some very nice hooks. It's punchy, upbeat and foot-tappingly good.
I'm disappointed there aren't more positive reviews for this album as these guys really derserve to be noticed.
The best song is `You Me Dancing' and if you're not singing along with a smile on your face, after having heard it a couple of times, then I'm sorry, but there's some part of you that's dead inside.
Other highlights are the opening track `Death to Los Campesinos', `My Year in Lists', `This is how you spell...' and `Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks', but in general I loved the whole album, with only `Don't Tell me to do the Math' being below par.
They have been quoted as being inspired by `Broken Social Scene', and if you like them, the bands I listed above and Indie Punk Pop style bands then I fail to see how you wouldn't like this.
Being objective I would rate this 4 stars but will give it 4.5 stars as a debut album and the fact that it just makes me happy.
Check this out.
on 28 May 2008
It's been around two years since I first stumbed across Welsh pop outfit Los Campesinos! and their catchy addictive sounds led this album to ve my most anticipated this year.

Unfortunately, 2 years of build up set me up for dissapointment, but don't get me wrong, this is still a contender for debut album of the year.

It seems they have finally found "the perfect match between pretention and pop" which they've been searching for since the earier EPs, but if you've heard the early demo's and EPs, you may be let down by the roughness of the album.

In the past, bands debut's have let me down by being too polished compared to their work beforehand, but Los Campesinos! somehow have managed to go the other way.

Most noticably on You! Me! Dancing!, the uber-polished sound from the past which worked so well has been replaced with a slightly grubbier sound, which despite being good, doesn't quite live up to the earlier work.

Still a classic album
on 4 March 2008
i didnt know what i was getting myself into when i bought this, wasnt expecting the dualling male & female vocals but i love it.

if you like bit of belle & sebastian then i highly recommend you pruchase this.

quriky, happy & poppy but never too sweet or dull.

buy buy buy
on 5 November 2013
If you love them you will have to buy it because it is a great poppy album that goes that right side of dark and this onscene childishness that playfully wraps itself around darkness. Great album buy it if you like them
on 26 November 2010
Los Camposinos are a good band, and some of the tunes on this album are really, really well done. These guys are talented, raw in places, but with an edge to the songs that makes you want to listen again, and again.