Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£10.19

on 28 January 2004
This new “25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition” (sounds pretty impressive, huh?!) arrived on the scene last Autumn with very little publicity or advertising behind it, so fans of the original soundtrack might be surprised at it’s availability. Still, for those who love the songs from “Grease”, this really is one of those “must have” CDs. Purists may not like this double CD however because all the initial songs have been digitally re-mastered to sound as if John Travolta, Olivia Newton John and the rest of the cast only recorded these tracks yesterday. But when the songs sound as good as they do on this revamped CD, what’s not to like about them? There’s nothing much anyone can add to what’s already been said about the soundtrack to Grease. It truly is a wonderful feel good album that’s stood the test of time really well - a soundtrack to be enjoyed by many generations to come. My interest in this new edition was the second disc, and for those curious at what these new versions are all about, I’ve decided to review that CD in more detail.
The added bonus of this “25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition” (how cool is that title?!) is the second disc, crammed full of mixes, megamixes and rarities. We begin with the “original” 1978 instrumental version of the title track (yes, it did appear on the b-side of the 7” single as I used to own it!). Nothing special about it, mind you as it sounds just like a karaoke track. The next three tracks on disc 2 (“Summer Nights”, “Hopelessly Devoted To You” and “You’re The One That I Want”) are “genuine” karaoke tracks, however - not songs you’ll be playing time and time again though (oh, and for those who don’t know the words to these timeless classics, you’ll find the lyrics inside the CD cover). Next up, another karaoke gem - this time, the “2003” version of “Sandy”. By this time you’re left wondering why all the fuss about this bonus disc (it’s free after all) when for 25 years, fans of the movie have been singing along to these songs without the aid of “karaoke/sing-a-long” versions. Methinks someone at Polydor caught wind of the upcoming “Greasemania” TV special and decided to give the movie’s real fans an opportunity to better those pop star wannabes who slaughtered those classic songs. I mean, could you do any worse?
John Travolta’s ‘single’ version of “Grease Lightnin’” is up next. Slightly shorter than the movie/album version - with a few naughty words omitted for good measure - but you’ll be hard pushed to notice the difference, making this a near-perfect copy of the version you’re most familiar with. This is followed by two “previously unreleased” instrumentals from the movie (“Rydell Fight Song” & “Greased Up & Ready To Go”). If you’ve seen the movie more than once, these instrumentals will be instantly recognisable to you as they featured throughout various parts of the movie. Still, the words “album” and “fillers” spring to mind after you listen to them - a perfect description of this bonus CD up to this point. Then comes the awful PWL produced “Grease Megamix”. Both John & Olivia have went on record by saying they hate this Megamix and it’s not hard to see why. If I were compiling this bonus CD for Polydor, I’d have included the 1998 “Ultimix” Megamix instead - a track far superior to this effort. That said, the next track - The Grease Dream Mix (again, produced by PWL) - more than makes up for it’s abysmal predecessor. Featuring the songs “Grease”, “Sandy” and “Hopelessly Devoted To You”, I’ll never understand why this Megamix never gained chart success - especially considering it’s shambolic forerunner was one of the best selling singles of 1990.
The final two offerings were originally released in Australia to commemorate the movie’s 20th anniversary back in 1998 and only available in the UK by import. So most won’t have heard the “new” versions of “Summer Nights” and “You’re The One That I Want”. Personally speaking, I didn’t like these remixes when I first heard them back when they were originally released and I still don’t like them today. “Summer Nights” -which is accompanied by a calypso-style backing track- is the better of the two, while “You’re The One That I Want” -to be brutally honest- is terrible. It’s a “trance” style remix that just doesn’t work for me (and I have since discovered it didn’t set the Australian music scene alight when originally released over there in 1998 either). I’ve been lucky enough to have heard several other remixes from the album over the past few years which knock the spots off anything featured on this bonus disc, so I’m surprised Polydor never considered featuring those ones. Quite frankly, this bonus CD makes the “Grease 2” soundtrack album appear one of the greatest pieces of musical work ever recorded! So to rate this awesomely titled “25th Anniversary DELUXE (no less!) Edition” , I give Disc One the maximum 5 stars, with Disc Two limping home with a measly 1.5. Then again, you’re not paying anything extra for this bonus disc, and considering the whole DELUXE edition is available for only £9.99, no-one’s forcing you to play it! But I do recommend you check out the beautiful “Grease Dream Mix”.
11 Comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2001
If "Grease" was meant to be a movie based in the 50s, why are there very little traditional rock'n'roll style tracks on this album? Ah, who care ?!! This soundtrack is simply a joy to listen to. Take away the fact most of the songs are cheesey and corny, what you have is an album that makes you feel good.
Some tracks are more well-known than others, but is there anyone living in the Western world that doesn't know the words to these songs? And even if you don't, how many of you have added your own words and ju sung along to the tracks anyway?!
The highlights? Frankie Valli's "Grease" captures the 70s 'disco' sound perfectly, so it won't come as a surprise to discover this was written by one of the Bee-Gees. "Summer Nights, "You're The One That I Want", "Greased Lightning", "Hoplessly Devoted To You" and "Sandy" are all as popular today as they were 23 years ago.
But there are a few hidden gems to be found as album fillers, most noteably the contributions from the 'real' 1960s group 'Sha-Na-Na'. Tracks including: "Born To Hand Jive", "Tears On My Pillow", "Those Magic Changes" and "Blue Moon" prove it's unfair to associate the "Grease" soundtrack CD only with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. Also, Stockard Channing's "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" also deserves a mention too.
Any naff songs? Yeah, but just a few. "Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee" reeks of 'naffness'(!), but on this soundtrack CD, the good outweigh the bad.
I first bought this soundtrack in the early 80s on vinyl (remember lp's?) and twice on audio cassette years later. Now I have two "Grease" CD's (inc. the 20th Anniversary Edition with CD-Rom). Now, if that isn't a recommendation you buy it, I don't know what is!
Just avoid anything associated with "Grease 2"!!!!
Jon:)
22 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2003
A classic album reinvented for the next generation. How many times have you caught yourself singing in the shower along to grease lightning, summernights (along with the voice change when you move from sandy to danny) and forgotten the words. Now you can do that all over again but with the added bonus on disc 2 the sing a long versions mean you dont need to forget a word again. There is also bundles of new extras ranging from instrumentals to remix. But if all these extras aren't your cup of tea then just sit back and listen to disc one and relive the memories of a golden sountrack over and over again.
on 22 September 2016
Firstly I would like to say I am not a great fan of Grease anymore. I grew up with a sister who loved Grease, she has blonde hair and dreamed of playing Sandy, every car journey (which there was a lot of as we lived in the middle of nowhere) I had to endure Grease along with the horrendous screeching of my sister and mother singing along. Now I have grown up, I have a wife who likes musicals which is fine, we have similar music taste. I also have two daughters which my wife has let watch Grease, both are blonde and want to play Sandy (Fighting and Arguing!), anyway it has returned to Grease on repeat in the car, at home on the TV. I find myself rocking in the corner with ear muffs on trying to block out the noise, on the plus side I have been encouraged to take up cycling and going to the gym.

So the product is music from the classic movie Grease in CD format, good value for money and a great gift for children and adults of all ages
on 30 December 2011
I have done over 100 Reviews on Amazon and in my first ever review in June, 2008 I mentioned that the year 1978 was crucial to disco success of "Night Fever & Grease films/musicals". Well, finally, I am in the position to review those two crucial CD's of that "crucial" era: "Saturday Night Fever" (SNF) 1977-78 and "Grease" 1978.

On reviewing the: "Grease Original Soundtrack". This re-mastered CD compilation by Polydor (Polygram) I purchased at HMV, recently. This soundtrack sold over 28 million copies worldwide. As I understand it, the Soundtrack Album remained at the top of the Album charts in the UK, for 13 consecutive weeks in 1978!

Therefore, the top tracks are "Grease" - Frankie Valli; "Summer Nights" - Olivia Newton-John /John Travolta; "You're The One That I Want" - John Travolta/Olivia Newton-John;"Greased Lightning"- John Travolta; "Hopelessly Devoted To You" - Olivia Newton-John and "Sandy" - John Travolta. Point to note, that the songs presented in this CD compilation, are not in the same order of their appearance in the movie.

Overall, the other lesser known tracks from 1960s era by groups like the group 'Sha-Na-Na'. Tracks including: "Born To Hand Jive", "Tears on My Pillow", "Those Magic Changes"; "Blue Moon and Stockard Channing's "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" are not excellent but are okay apart from "Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee" which I found irritating.

Definitely an excellent Compilation Soundtrack worth purchasing!
on 14 November 1999
Everyone should have a copy of this CS - if you loved the film, you'll lover the soundtrack. Takes you back to the fun fifties with lots of energetic music. My absolute favourite is Born to Hand Jive which makes me want to dance wherever I am, a real fun, boppy, inspirational number. This is classic nightclub 'mad half hour' music.
on 28 November 2016
After watching Grease for the umpeenth time , I thought Id look up the cd and came across this for £3 which included auto rip. Fantastic I thought.
Well I'm writing this review whilst listening and its disappointing. When I started hearing the various songs come on I started to wonder if what I'd bought was a various singer album as in not the original singers singing, they sounded similar yet not quite right.
It is in fact the original singers but this album after being reworked is just lacking everything that is Grease. It lacks the power and passion of the songs that you hear in the film, its all just flat and neutral and to clinical.
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2005
Well here we are with a great piece of history.
This album has not only captured the spirit of the movie but the essence of a 1970's version of the 1950's. I have seen this play live and yes some things are different. Yet I grew up on the movie. I even find myself singing some of the songs now and then. Of course you will never see me singing "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee." However I do keep this in my car as great driving music. This album is not you can pick apart and say things like missing songs, in the wrong order etc. It sounds and feels just right. There will be many versions yet this one is the Grease - Deluxe Edition [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [SOUNDTRACK] gives you more information about each of the tracks allowing you to feel that you have inside information and to feel that you know more of what went into the making of each song.
on 14 April 2003
This is just one of the ultimate feel good albums, full of songs to sing along to in the car on a sunny day with the windows down, or in a pub garden, or simply in the living room when doing housework. My personal favourites are Beauty School Dropout and the very under-rated, but very funny Raining on Prom Night.
What can one say? If you liked the film you'll love this album. It's got all of the classic hits we all remember on it like "Sandy", "You're the One that I want" etc. Can't lose by buying this album