on 2 January 2003
This CD is an excellant overview of Sting's commercial hits, and is sure to please with "When We Dance", "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You", "Fields Of Gold", "If You Love Somebody (Set Them Free)", "All This Time", and so forth.
It does have the weakness, of course, of most "best of" compilations in that it shows only the commercial "top 40" side of a notable artist. Those who think the only good stuff is that which is played on the radio therefore enjoy this and other "best of" collections, and will like this more than any one album.
This is a good sampler of Sting's radio hits, but if you want a deeper understanding of Sting, don't stop here, but also listen to the albums which show off the less commercial side of his talent.
on 29 January 2000
All of Sting's big hits from 84 to 94 are in here, from the endlessly parodied 'Englishman in New York' to the anti-Pinochet 'They Dance Alone'. Unfortunately, the final two tracks, 'This Cowboy Song' and 'Demolition Man', whilst being chart hits, lack the sensitivity and musicality of his other work. A remastered version of this album also contains 'Moon over Bourbon Street', 'Why Should I cry for You?' and 'Fragilidad', dispensing with 'Demolition Man'. For my money, this is a better buy than the original, but if you like Sting, you ought to love this album.
on 27 July 2016
when i heard this i fell i love with it rite away, its a sad song due 2 his parents dying and there is others on there as well, this is the best i have heard from sting and fields of gold brings tears 2 my eyes as i get very emonal about songs like this, well done sting.
on 12 March 2014
got this second hand and it is a very enjoyable listen all stings singles are here and some other tracks that i had not heard before if your a die hard sting fan there is not much i can say if your a casual sting listener like me its well worth the money.
on 12 February 2013
I miss 4 songs on it. 1 - Seven days, 2 - Shape of my heart, 3 - Hounds of winter, 4 - La Belle Dame Sans Regrets.
Thats why I chose 4 strars. And there is a few songs which I never chose to add on The Best of. Even If I was Sting ! for example - this cowboy song, russians, we'll be together, love is stronger than justice, etc.
The sound quality is great though.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2009
Bought this, lost it, bought it again for a few tracks, however, this is remastered and sounds sonically deferent, not sure if I like some of them, "If I Every Lose My Faith" seems to have lost it's power over the previous copy I had.

If you want this album, get the pre-remastered edition.

Why do people mess about and re-mix stuff, it is totally another track then, surely?
on 21 December 2014
I bought this to replace the cassette version that I had 20 years ago as a 14 year old and it is just as great to listen to now as it was then. In fact it is better now as I understand all the themes he writes about. As a child I didn't really appreciate the extent to which current affairs inspired Sting's writing and I think it's a shame more song writers do not produce such work. Sting is simply a brilliant song writer with an amazing ability to tell a story though his music.

I think it is worth mentioning that I bought this digitally remastered version as I wanted to listen to it straight away. However, the track listing is slightly different to the original (Nothing 'Bout Me, Seven Days and Demolition Man are replaced with Moon Over Bourbon Street, Why Should I Cry for You and Fragile (Portuguese version)), so I have now also had to purchase the original in addition. I do wish Amazon had highlighted this difference.
on 3 January 2004
This has to be one of the undisputed Greatest Hits Albums of all time. This album has the power to wreak havoc on the emotions from breaking everyone down in a flurry of saddness with "Fields of Gold " then building them up "If you Love Somebody Set them Free".
One of the main reasons that i bought this album was however for sentimental value. Not because i know Sting, but because my father had this album a while ago and we have since stopped talking, but this album reminds me of the better times that we had shared. Perhaps he overplayed it too much, but maybe thats why its stuck in my mind and is perhaps one of my most treasured albums!
Sting's greatest hits album for the period 1984-1994 has two new songs amongst the seventeen tracks, and four new versions of tracks already released on earlier albums. For this reason alone, this 76-minute album is one for the Sting fan who already has the previous four studio albums. Besides, it also means you can re-assess the songs out of context. I have reviewed most of the tracks elsewhere under the respective albums, so here I will just comment on the new and remixed songs.

The first new track is "When We Dance", a charming heartfelt love song with a steady beat - `When we dance, angels will run and hide their wings'. If this opens the show, the second new song closes it, a bland American AOR standard called "This Cowboy Song".

As for the remixes ... Michael Kamen and Stephen McLaughlin produce the original "It's Probably Me". It has the restrained orchestration that one expects from Kamen and this time you get to actually hear Eric Clapton (presumably). Then there's the wonderful "We'll Be Together", but on this album we have the version produced by Neil Dorfsman. It's more rock, less funk: the original on the "Nothing Like the Sun" album is far, far better. The track "Nothing `Bout Me" is here remixed by Stoker, making it funkier. Finally, the old Police classic "Demolition Man" receives a dance-style makeover produced by Stoker & Sting, that well-known firm of chartered accountants!

Only four stars? Yep. Maybe five, if it had included "Fortress Around Your Heart".
on 5 February 2008
This album is best listened to when you're in a somber mood, thinking about the person you love the most. That is when you can feel the full power in the music. This album has so much; perfect love songs, great meaningful music in everyday issues and even politics in 'Russians'. The first time that I listened to this album I was left with a mood that was like nothing I've ever felt before, this is how fantastic Sting is as a songwriter. This collection is from his best period of music after The Police.

I prefer The Police for their majority of their music, but Sting is magnificent on his own. I think that breaking up with the band when they were at the climax of their career was probably a good idea with what Sting created on his own. He wrote nearly all of the songs for The Police, and the band was the best thing from the 1980's. From his first album the big pop hit 'If you love somebody set them free' (which I always feel the need to get up and move to - is there anything wrong with that?!), then 'Love is the seventh wave', which is a fantastic somber song, Russians, the political song conveying the upheaval that was occuring in America in the time of this first album and then the somber and meaningful 'Moon over Bourbon street'. This is what I love about Sting, he is easily one of the greatest songwriters of all time. He writes perfect love songs in 'Fields of gold', my favourite Sting song. The imagery that he creates in his music is remarkable and like no other. When we dance, a fantastic really expressive love song, If I ever lose my faith in you, a catch song with the lyrics, 'You could say I lost my belief in a politician', referncing back to 'Spirits in the material world'. I was expecting him to say that and when it came in I just burst out laughing! Then there is the brilliant 'Mad about you', with the brilliant lyrics 'It would make a prison of my life, if you were to become anothers wife', which right now I can relate to more than ever. My only complaint is that the final track on this album is 'Fragil', which is the Portuguese version of Fragile. I definitely think that another one of his English songs should've been included instead, like 'Be still my beating heart' or 'Fortress around your heart'. That is the only album's flaw, but it's nice to hear Sting singing in Portuguese and it just goes to show that his music is loved throughout the world.

Every single song on this album is just gold, it definitely lives up to the name 'Fields of gold'! I was wondering whether to give it 4 starts, but it really does deserve 5, it is just so brilliant. If you are to buy any Sting album then you should definitely get this one first, it gives the perfect overview of Sting's magnificent career after The Police (which you should definitely get, if you don't have their self titled album'). He has moved through time and easily challenged the music of the day. I think that every single song on this album is brilliant and it beats any of the music around today. Especially for a solo artist. If you want more meaningful music than Sting's then you will have a very hard time trying to find it. If you buy this album then you definitely won't regret it, it will probably be the best album you have ever bought! I know that I've wrote a long review but everyone that is even remotely interested in Sting should have an in-depth view of how great he is. I mean he's still on tour in Australia with The Police now! If you are even slightly interested in Sting then you have to buy this fantastic collection of awesome songs. Thanx for reading.