on 4 May 2018
Dig The New Breed was The Jam's parting gift to their fans, originally released the day before the band played their final gig.

Consisting of live performances recorded at various UK venues between 1977 and 1982, the tracklist is very much in the spirit of a "best of". But this being The Jam, don't expect that live setting to provide Hendrixan musical expansions upon a theme. The material almost entirely stays faithful to the original studio blueprints, although Dreams Of Children does stand out by virtue of having its energy level cranked seriously and impressively upwards.

Musically the one downside is probably Big Bird, which seems to be something of a self-indulgent anomaly. This track never appeared on any Jam studio recording, so back in 1982 it would probably only have been known to fans who'd seen the band perform it live. That's if they even knew what they were seeing performed. Remember, this was pre-Internet. Back then if you didn't know what a song was at a gig, no Google, so tough luck! That alone makes it a very odd choice to place on a final release. Even to this day I still don't think it sits well on the album, being far too clunky for the flow.

As for the mastering of the CD (Polydor 810 041-2, which I believe was first released in 1987, then reissued in 1995 under the same number), it's actually quite analogue. I found myself with the urge to increase the volume as the CD progressed, something of a rarity in our current era of masterings commonly being deliberately loud and compressed.

One minor complaint, there are fade-outs between tracks from different gigs. It would have been nice had the album been mixed as if one continuous show,

I notice some reviewers calling the quality of the sound bad, which I do not understand. Maybe they're expecting a pristine modern digital mastering? The performances on this disc were professionally recorded and as such they sound perfectly fine. Everything is nicely balanced, mixed in a natural style, reflecting what happened on stage. Soul and realism are put before polish and sheen. Which is exactly how it should be.

So to sum up, I give Dig The New Breed a 4 star rating. It's got a decent tracklist featuring an even spread of essential fan favourites and lesser known album tracks, so it works for the casual listener and the uber-fan. It's just shame the artwork is so bland. In that respect this compilation really deserved something a bit more lively to properly reflect the content.

Tracklist; In The City, All Mod Cons, To Be Someone, It's Too Bad, Start!, Big Bird, Set The House Ablaze, Ghosts, Standards, In The Crowd, Going Underground, Dreams Of Children, That's Entertainment, Private Hell.
on 10 July 2015
Now here's an album I only had on cassette.....untill now. Being a collector of everything Weller has done over the years I'm so pleased I purchased this album on CD. 'Ghost' has always haunted me ever since I played it on my little Hitachi Cassette Player back in 1980something. Though it is hard to find on any other album of The Jam. All the live tracks on this album takes you back to an amazing time when beer was cheap and a youth cult was taking a stronghold for the second time. If only Paul, Bruce and Rick would get together and play Brighton Centre again. But then it would never sound as amazing as they do on this album. My favourite on this album have to be Big Bird, Set The House Ablaze and Ghost.
One person found this helpful
on 23 January 2018
Its The Jam live and furious what more do you want total class.
on 26 April 2018
Excellent album. I thought it was about time I replaced my ancient vinyl copy, which I bought when it came out. The Jam were one of the most important bands of my formative years, and as this and other live albums have shown, they were a force to be reckoned with.
on 13 May 2017
Possibly the best Jam album ever!!! In my humble opinion The Jam as a band where never better than when they where tearing it up on stage . Big Bird and Standards are just classic Mod tracks not a bad number any where on the album
on 25 October 2017
update from LP, happy
on 3 January 2016
The best of The Jam live, great album, dig the new breed and dig the songs can't complain a must have for any Jam or Weller fan's
on 29 April 2017
classic
on 30 August 2017
Awesome live record. Turn it up (& turn down the treble!!) to enjoy an amazing live rock band.
on 17 October 2016