Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£13.19

on 6 December 2009
I live a few miles from sandy's final home at Byfield for I believe the last 4 yrs of her life, which I only just found out. I have loved fairwell fairwell for many years, this CD lets us hear more of her excellent songs, Solo, Fotheringay etc. I was lucky to go to the last Cropredy Convention 2009 for the first time, and will take my family there next year. I believe she has a unique voice, she was clipped too young like other great songsters - Nick Drake, who she knew. I have bought this for a friend and hope she will hold it dear as I do.
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2006
This is a well thought out and well produced compilation that gives a good overview of Sandy's work. The insert notes, by her biographer Clinton Heylin, are very good, except that they inexplicably omit any mention of The Bunch - Rock On, and Pass of Arms, albums from which 4 of the tracks are taken. Pass of Arms in particular contributes the 2 most musically interesting arrangements here, so it is odd that Heylin ignores them.

The first 2 tracks, Fotheringay and Who Knows Where the Time Goes? are her best known, and deservedly so. It has to be said that her writing acquired a certain sameness, and her best later vocals are treatments of traditional songs, like Banks of the Nile. I would also add that the Judi Collins cover of Who Knows Where the Time Goes? is superior to Sandy's own version, in my opinion. Fotheringay, by the way, was the name of the English castle where Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned.

Sandy was the archetypal late-sixties folkie, complete with mini skirt, long flowing hair, guitar and bundle of ballads. She was sixties dolly-bird on the way to becoming seventies hippie; sixties folk-revivalist on the way to becoming seventies folk-rocker. Hers was a sweet, melodic voice that she sensibly kept within its range, and which had a persistent, mournful colouring, which she unfailingly indulged. Her lyrics are often mysterious (even to her) and always thoughtful. She and the smoke-filled Folk den were made for each other.

She died aged 31, shortly after declaring at a Royal Albert Hall concert that she would sing 'no more sad refrains', which became the title of the last track on her last album. If she seriously intended to renounce sad songs and take her writing to new places, it could have led to something great. Sadly, we'll never know.
on 31 August 2010
This is a fantastic collection. I discovered Sandy Denny on YouTube and bought this great value anthology. The songs and singing are beautiful. My current favourite is 'It suits me well' but with each listen new favourites are developing. Strongly recommended.
on 10 January 2013
If you are looking for most of the tracks from the first three albums (Fairport Convention), buy the albums, because you won't be happy with the number of tracks from them included here. (The tracks chosen from them are excellent but one each from the first two albums and two from the third album is not generous).

If however you are interested in checking out her entire career with greater emphasis on her later work then this set of two extremely full CDs is for you.

Anyway with Crazy Man Michael included in superb quality, who can go wrong? (Check out my name)
on 18 November 2012
A great mix of both well known songs and some not so well known. An essential buy for those that dont own any SD, Fairport or Fotheringay. For me, Sandy was the best singer song writer, with such feeling in her voice; these songs will never be far from the > button!
on 13 March 2013
I decided to purchase this after buying the Thea Gilmore Don't stop singing album where she sings Sandy Denny songs which I love and I have not been disappointed, beautiful lyrics and beautiful music, I highly recommend this to anyone :)
on 23 April 2012
This is a truly miraculous album, which showcases Sandy Denny's unique voice and rewards repeat listening In particular, the later songs have lost none of their power over time.
on 17 January 2013
achingly beautiful songs. An essential purchase for fans and those seeking an introduction to her work. Sandy must have been the number one of all time folk songsmith
on 13 August 2012
The title alone should intrigue. Reflective, but hopeful.

Music is narrative. It should (but does not nearly often enough) connect our past and our future, whilst helping us make sense of our present.

Sandy Denny did that sublimely. Tradition, sedition, love, forlornliness and hope, are all fair game. That Celtic melody underpins much is a bonus.

This collection is a brilliant place to engage with her legacy.

And to the players who helped make it all happen, thank you.
on 11 June 2016
I've been a Fairport and Sandy Denny enthusiast for a long time so why the one star review? We have all the well known here apart from Blackwater side which is a glaring ommission.
Most of the songs are exceptional, particularly the early stuff though the sound is not great on some tracks. The problem is the random order where music just doesn't seem to have any sequencing. It just chugs on and on until it fizzles out.
Surely Farewell Farewell should have been the final track instead of being near the beginning.
All Our Days is dreadful though, drenched in strings. I never want to hear that again.
It just doesn't work as a compilation. The four disc album set was a far better retrospective. I was hoping for something to replace the loss of that but got this instead.
Pity and a lost opportunity. She deserves better than this.