Format: MP3 Download|Change

Quality classic album
on 15 February 2015
Still their best
on 16 November 1999
I must admit I willingly bought this CD all excited about revisiting the raw appeal of the Beastie Boys which I so enjoyed years ago. I quickly discovered this isn't a timeless classic at all, it is very much music for the time, and I hate to admit it, but I've grown out of it. The crass, in your face sound of the Beastie Boys becomes too much on a whole album of nothing but their street adaptation of rap. I still enjoy a few (very few) songs, every now and then like "Paul Revere" and "Brass Monkey". But I have completely lost any potential interest in most of their other songs such as "Girls", "You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party", "Hold it Now Hit It"...and many more empty tunes. I think this piece of the past was better left there, in the past.
on 19 January 2015
Good old 80's
on 15 June 2000
This is the first and the best Beastie Boys album. 15 years old but worth ever penny. Unlike most of the Beastie Boys albums you can sit and listen to every track. This is true white boy boy mid eighties rap. The best tracks are Ryhmin' and stealin', girls and of course the altime favorite fight for your right. They have yet to make a better album.
on 1 December 2007
What more needs to be said about what is probably one of the top five, perhaps top three rap albums of all time. It's just packed to bursting point with beats and ryhmes that are as "FRESH" today as they were twenty odd years ago. If you have any respect for classic old school rap you have to own this album!
on 7 October 2014
Great album
on 21 August 2005
Although this was the first Beastie Boys recording I really listened to, I only heard it for the first time in 2003. I was born the year after this recording was made and it beggars belief that a band like this could ever last until the present day.
Initially, I was put off by the whiney-nazel voices I was hearing, but the Beastie Boys is as much about just listening (or deciphering) the lyrics as it is about the music. The offbeat lyrics remind me a little of Beck, just because they can be so random at times but still with a direction within the songs.
This album has obviously remained popular due to the infamous 'Fight for Your Right' song, but is actually so much more. try to get the CD + DVD version available on amazon (keep searching, it's quite far back!) so you can check out the ill videos for 'No Sleep til Brooklyn', 'She's Crafty' and 'Fight for Your Right'. As I said in the summary, the album is finally starting to show signs of ageing, but the power of nostalgia just keeps bringing me back for more. Enjoy.
on 4 August 2016