Customer reviews

The Best Of Rainbow
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 24 January 2016
This is perfect if either you heard since you've been gone, all night long, I surrender, on the radio or in the pub and wondered what or who the bands about. Well several line up changes including 3 different lead singers is what you'll discover with rainbow. Don't worry though Ritchie Blackmore remains through out! (who? Please! Search under guitar legends!) Anyway on 1 disc you get just about the full story and get to hear rainbow before and after mr bonnet with his slick hair and shades made them cool for an album! The late great brilliant Ronnie James Dio was vocalist for the best tracks on here! And whilst your listening the inside opens into a poster of the full history of the band! Remember this isn't a greatest cd its a best of cd and is a fantastic place for you to start your rainbow journey! Already a huge fan? Great for the car, van, truck, you get the picture.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 11 May 2004
I first started listening to Rainbow during the 'Down to Earth' era, when Graham Bonnet was strutting his not inconsiderable stuff as lead singer. Back then - I was fifteen - it seemed great. Now - I'm older - you can see just what a catastrophe Ronnie James Dio leaving the band was.
The first three studio albums are just brilliant. Musically very impressive and lyrically superb. It's easy to sneer at the fantasy/mythology elements of heavy rock of the Seventies, but there's still a massive market for this sort of thing, just look at the Lord of the Rings cycle. 'Stargazer' manages to get a whole fantasy novel into eight minutes (including a guitar solo) and it creates a universe, two compelling characters and makes real, allegorical statements about purpose, ambition and freedom. It stands up - lyrically - far better than the Led Zep stuff of the same era (or Rush).
I also love the fact Dio works 'Rainbow' into the lyrics 'Fly Like a Rainbow' ??? You know, like you do. The musical subtlety of these early tracks is also impressive like in 'Gates of Babylon'
Then Dio leaves and you get 'All Night Long' ('I need a girl who can keep her head - All Night Long - naturally changed when sung live) and 'Since You Been Gone' (Since You Been Gone, Since You Been Gone, I'm out of my head, can't take it.) Fine when you're a teenager.
Musically things go from bad to worse when Bonnet leaves and Joe Lynn Turner comes in, by which time Rainbow are an ok, American-type AOR band. Like Bon Jovi. Certainly not worth remembering.
So why five stars? Because of those early tracks. Buy this. Give it to someone (my ten year old daughter's getting mine) and then buy the first three albums and enjoy......
13 people found this helpful
on 27 May 2017
Good old fashioned rock n roll. Especially with Ronnie James dio on vocals. Joe Lynn Turner on other songs and a couple with Graham bonnet..probably the best rainbow collection.
One person found this helpful
on 24 October 2012
I've heard of Richie Blacmore's Rainbow (Rainbow) but never really got into the group. The only reason I ordered this CD was for one song, that song being Since You've Been Gone. It was the only song I ever heard from Rainbow. The day I received this CD I was totally blown away and listened to it at least 5 times that day. The music is brilliant, hard-core rock, even metal as it's classified. I think this is contributed to Richie Blackmore formerly of Deep Purple, a group which I really got into. If you like hard driving rock/metal, this is the album for you. I would highly recommend it. I've listened to this one several times more after the first day I received it. You won't be disappointed.
on 2 June 2017
Best Rainbow album ever, My Son loves it to and he`s Ahem ! , several years younger than me.
on 24 October 2017
Fantastic collection, ideal to remind of my youthA++*
on 15 January 2004
Theatrical Metal, comprising the Ritchie Blackmore deep part of purple.
Musical Art.
The compilation is so good I went out and bought a Fender Strat.
Goodbye air guitar, and it’s time to let my heart fly like an eagle.
Put down the lute Richie, come home, it’s time to weave your magical craft again.
An immediate shot of emotional torture remembering just how wonderful guitar bands used to be.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2018
Excellent cd
on 12 January 2018
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 21 June 2017