on 4 October 2006
For around two years from mid 1960 The Shadows delivered some brilliant and timeless music... coupled with, and followed by, a vast amount of distinctly MOR muzak. But, unlike the other incomplete or "do I really want to hear what happened next?" compilations out there this one's the only one that's got all the classics from that heady period: "Apache", "FBI", "Wonderful Land", "The Savage", "The Stranger", "Midnight", "36-24-36", and the breathtakingly beautiful, pure early 60's "Peace Pipe". Perfectly formed examples of a lost world of guitar driven excitement & atmosphere.
33 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2017
I really like this
on 22 August 2016
Great condition. No downside.😃😃
on 15 June 2015
I bought this album as it was a favourite of my mothers, and it reminds me of happy times with her as I was growing up. The album arrived in good time and is in excellent condition. I am very pleased with my purchase.
on 30 December 2014
Great CD
on 5 May 2017
I have this album on vinyl. Great classic music.
on 16 May 2013
I have owned this greatest hits collection for almost 40 years on vinyl and have done my very best to wear it out! This cd has the original tracks plus the "B" side of "Apache", "Quatermasster`s stores", and yes, i`ve spelt it correctly! The title was a spoof on the then popular sci-fi tv series "Quatermass". There are mono and stereo versions of all the tracks for the purists. There is a perception these days, fostered by historical revisionists, that British pop music started with the Beatles and serious guitar playing started with Eric Clapton. However, if you were to ask Messrs. Clapton, Townshend, Green, May, Page, Neil Young etc., all guitar heroes in their own right, who influenced them, then Hank Marvin is usually near the top of their list. It surprises people when they find out that The Shadows and Cliff are, together and separately, one of the most successful acts the UK has ever produced. The Shadows started life as The Drifters, Cliff Richard`s backing group in the late 1950`s and changed their name in 1959. Few people realise how genuinely innovative they were in that era, Hank Marvin was the first guitarist in the UK to play a Fender Stratocaster (purchased and imported by Cliff), Jet Harris was one of the first in the UK to play a Fender precision Bass Guitar (most groups then used upright double basses), and together with Tony Meehan on drums and Bruce Welch on Rhythm Guitar they carved out a unique sound. Hank fashioned an almost-Hawaiian guitar sound with innovative use of the Stat`s tremelo arm and various echo units (he,in fact, popularised both of these), the band got the guitar amplifier manufacturer Vox to make a bigger amp, the legendary AC30, so that they could be heard over screaming fans. All of these things laid down the template for nearly all pop/rock groups that followed them in the 1960`s, including the Beatles. The first big hit "Apache" witten by Jerry Lordan, was a tour-de-force of Hank`s guitar technique and technical innovation, it stayed at no. 1 for six weeks and quickly became a rite-of-passage for every early `60s would-be guitar player. Hit after hit followed, "Man of Mystery" "Kon-Tiki","Wonderful Land", which set a record for most weeks at no. 1 during the `60s, 8-10 weeks (depending on record chart). Listen to "Wonderful Land" and marvel at Norrie Paramor`s arrangement, Hanks delicate, yet masterful touch lending gravitas to every note shaped and played, the tightness of the group sound, the sheer other-worldliness of it and i defy anyone not to be uplifted after the last notes die away. The group personnel changed, out went Tony Meehan, to be replaced by Brian Bennet and Jet Harris left, being replaced by Brian Locking, the sound mellowed a little and "Dance On" was the last no. 1 hit on this particular album. Buy This CD, play it loud and marvel at the finest instrumental pop music ever made.
This CD has 32 tracks,but not 32 different tracks,what it does have is 16 tracks in mono sound,repeated in excellent remastered stereo.I wish it had all their hits in stereo only and ignored the mono versions.I will have to look elsewhere for a stereo compilation with all their top 20 hits (about 25 of them) up to say 1965,their golden era,when I find one I will let you know.

PS These are albums I found with all their hits and more,"50 Golden Greats",a 2 CD set and "The Platinum Collection" a 2CD + DVD set,both have all stereo tracks except for Foot Tapper in mono,as I think there is a slight problem with stereo version,you can always try to download this one stereo track.

Finally you can try "Complete Singles:As & Bs: 1959-1980",which is overkill for me,again Foot Tapper is mono,as are the very early "before they were famous" tracks,which exist only in mono.
I purchased the CD for my dad to listen in his car, and I put the free download on my phone to listen to in the car. These are amazing songs from a very talented band. There is not really any bad song amongst them, they are all masters in their own rights. I also liked the modern versions with crisper sound, but personally still prefer the original score.

If you only ever get 1 shadows album, this is the one.
on 20 October 2009
When I was a very young girl, just 6 or 7 we had a reel to reel tape recorder. We had 2 Beatles, 1 Cliff Richard and 1 Shadows tape and for many years this was the only music I had to listen to and be influenced by. I loved the Shadows the best and to this day true guitar oriented music remains my first love whether hard rock or Johnny Cash. If guitar icons Peter Townend and Jeff Beck rate Shadows guitarist Hank Marvin as their influence and idol then hell who am I to argue?. All the real classic hits are here, both in mono as they would have sounded years ago on the juteboxes in the 60's and in sterio if you prefer. I much prefer mono.

Even after 40 plus years they sound as good as ever. The price blew me away it is a real bargain and anyone who has an appreciation for guitarists should own this CD. Apparently this recording release came about because the Shadows were filming The Young Ones with Cliff Richard and were unavailable for studio recording. Thank you unknown genious at EMI who came up with the idea of releasing a "best of" then, something that just wasn't really done back in the early 60's when these hits were dominating the charts and you had to really sell records to feature in the top 10.

There is real atmospheric and totally emotional music here that will never date or die. I urge anyone any age to invest in this purely instrumental compilation of perfection.