on 15 April 2009
I'm far from an expert on Schumann but have always been fond of FL & L. I have two versions of the work, one by Jessye Norman that I have much admired. I'm not sure what prompted me to get this later one but I'm glad I did. I think that Lorraine Hunt Lieberson is truly excellent in this work. She has tha ability to sing so very quietly - something that is truly difficult to do, and her voice has a smooth, velvety quality that hitherto I have admired in singers like Vesselina Kasarova. I have to say that this is easily the equal - and the Brahms songs which were relativly new to me (and the other Schumann works) make this disc one of the most enjoyable I have purchased for a long time.
on 7 September 2012
This is by far my favourite recording of Frauenliebe und Leben. A beautiful voice combined with such emotion creates a really touching rendition - when I sat down and listened to it for the first time, by the time "Nun hast du mir" was finished I was in tears. I particularly adore the "Du Ring" on here - perhaps a bit slower than I had expected on my first listening but this now seems to completely fit and has a very lovely inner reflectiveness.
I also love the other lieder on this CD, though having never heard them before I can make no comparison, however they are just as stunning as Frauenliebe.
Certainly one to be listened to again and again. I only lament that I never had the chance to hear her live.
on 25 May 2014
I had only heard her recordings of Bach cantatas, and a few songs by Debussy and Chausson before, but these makea great addition to that collection. The Frauenliebe are especially good, paired with that wonderful voice
on 5 September 2011
A singer who sang with such intelligence and total emotional involvement. This like all her other recordings touches the soul.