Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 10 June 2017
CLASSIC ABBA IF YOUR READING THIS YOUR ALREADY A FAN ANYWAY ,GREAT ALBUM AND QUALITY VINYL RECORD
on 7 June 2010
Well, I am a nearly 15-year-old ABBA fan. How come? I watched Mamma Mia! the movie and then searched for ABBA songs. It's been a year now, I've listened to all of their songs and I love nearly all of them. They are delightful. And yet I only own ABBA-The Albums, Arrival Deluxe Edition, The Album Deluxe edition and now this.

The original album is just brilliant. Every single song is a treasure on its own. The usual bonuses, i.e. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! and Lovelight, are a huge magnificent single and a moderate B-Side.

Also what can I say about the real bonuses (or 'boni' maybe)? Summer night city is such an upbeat beautiful song and the intro is just what was missing from the short version. Dream World is an incomprehensively-not-released-at-its-time song. It would have been a hit.

I guess I would agree that the Spanish versions should be included and even Just A Notion, which has to be released at some point of time and this was a great chance.

As for the DVD, I absolutely liked Abba in Switzerland, except of the ski scenes, If it wasn't for the nights and the Swap Shop Interview. I would love some more interviews.

Now, we should review what we do have in possess, so I say that this is a brilliant reissue, with excellent packaging, bonuses, DVD and booklet.

To anyone who hesitates: "Buy it"
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2017
Brilliant. The more I hear it the better I like it. Abba are unsurpassable in my view. Simply the greatest ever.
on 19 March 2017
Growing up there were certain albums my parents played regularly. Pop albums, rock albums, reggae albums, bebop, you name it they played it. Abba was quite a big contender for the turn table in our household. I have memories of Abba through out my life. Memories when I was just a kid. Memories when I was a teenager learning guitar and with an unhealthy obsession with heavy metal. And now as an adult they continue to make memories for me, with each spin of their albums. I chose to review Voulez-Vous simply on the basis timing and impact. We are all going through different stages in our lives. When we hear something, and what point we are in our lives, will dramatically effect our experience of a piece of music. When I first heard Voulez-Vous, it felt like the perfect timing you know? I'm no making bold statements saying it is the best Abba album, but maybe it is for me.

When dealing with very famous albums, it can be hard to think of what to write. What can I say, that thousands of professional music journalists over the decades haven't already? So I thought maybe I could focus on the lesser famous songs. For the uninitiated or younger listeners. Everbody knows Volez-Vous, I have a dream, Does your mother know, or Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! I will talk about the best track on this album first. "Angel eyes". That's right I'm saying it, that was the best and deserved much more air play. Listen closely. Do you think what Benny Anderson is playing on the keyboards is easy? No! Great vocals from the girls, but I will admit I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between Frida and Agnetha. "Summer night city" is a cool disco song, very reminiscent of the era, you know the Bee Gee's, Earth, Wind and Fire that kind of thing. "Kisses of fire" is very interesting starting out slow and very romantic, then building up into full swing, another great pop song. Worthy to be a hit? Maybe I wouldn't take it that far. "Lovers last a little bit longer" is another cracker, with the orchestration and funky disco guitars really adding a cool slant on this one.
on 29 August 2011
Spurred on by the success of the Bee Gees in the genre that was sweeping all before it as the Seventies ended, ABBA made a disco album. And there they stand on the sleeve in Stockholm's Alexandra disco, all dressed up for a night on the town. Except "Voulez Vous" isn't the seamless spin around the mirror ball you might expect. Two of these tracks are guaranteed to clear any dancefloor.

Things kick off promisingly with "As Good as New", all Classical strings set to a disco beat, before we get the title track and its whirling dervish call to dancefloor action, one prolonged sexual come-on. But then just as the party is hitting its stride the sappy "I Have a Dream" gatecrashes it (and brings with it a children's choir!). Later we get the second party pooper in "Chiquitita", an inferior South American-flavoured facsimile of "Fernando", the Latin strum-a-long smash from three years earlier.

Around these sentimental show stoppers the tempo picks up again with the remaining perfectly functional shiny dance-pop tracks. They effortlessly showcase the crystal clear girl harmonies while piling on the sexual tension. In many ways disco was a perfect fit for ABBA. Within disco women took centre stage, just as they did in the group. In both it's the woman's experience and female desire that are given voice. And it's a testament to the group's skill at this style that clubs fully embraced these and their later dance-orientated cuts.

That Andersson and Ulvaeus seemed incapable of sticking with one style throughout their albums is a clear drawback when attempting a disco album. Later CD versions of "Voulez Vous" add the non-album hit singles "Summer Night City" and "Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)", the foursome's most convincing excursions onto the dancefloor. With these this collection finally begins to look like the epic disco opus we were promised. In fact, I have a dream: had the original album replaced the two schmalzfests with these later triumphs then "Voulez Vous" would have without doubt been the greatest disco album ever. Instead we have to settle for just a good one.
on 16 November 2005
This album is consistently brilliant and is a further example of a near flawless piece of work. From Arrival (1976) right through to The Visitors (1981), Abba produced wonderful albums not just great singles but timeles album tracks which, in their own way, were just as endearing. And it would be foolish to label this album as The Disco Album on account of the admittedly below par title track and the accompanying single ’Summer Night Night City’. Although the latter is a much more successful attempt at this oevre. After all this album contans that great ballad and hit single ’Chiquititta’ which is up there with their very best. And much more besides. The opener ’As Good As New’ is a gorgeous mixture of classic strings, a strong disco beat and those wondeful Agnetha/Frida vocals which need no introduction. Then there is Bjorn’s finest moment in the raucous ’Does Your Mother Know’ which remains an all time party favourite to this day, 28 years later. The minor single ’Angel Eyes’ should have been massive. Here is this band at their magical best. ’If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ is a superb album track. Nothing new here. Great album tracks are a trademark of all their last five albums, and they were not exactly non existent before then. This whole album sounds like a Piece Of Work in the way that no compilation album can. ’I Have A Dream’ is slushy for sure but fits in well here surrounded by more upbeat numbers. It is a great melody. Period. But they save the best track for last, the magestic ’Kisses Of Fire’ which sounded then and sounds even more now like The Great Single That Never Was.
The cover shows the band looking impeccable. On top of the world would not be heavy exaggeration. Sadly the two divorces were to follow shortly afterwards but as songwriters and performers this is something like their peak. Even NME or was it Melody Maker gave this one Five Stars.
Greatest Hits albums have their place of course. But my advice would be to buy this album, because it shows us the consistency that band continually showed themselves capable of from 1976 onwards. More than a Singles Band. Just one listen to ’Kisses Of Fire’ will demonstrate that.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2001
This album is possibly one of the most highly polished and best produced pop albums ever recorded. Every note, every vocal, every chord, rhythm, drum beat and synth is perfect. "As Good as New" starts off the album with driving disco rythms, hand claps and soaring strings to accompany the girls' impeccable vocals. "Voulez Vous" has to be one of the definitive 70's disco tracks and sounds even better with the remastering (the bass line to this track was recorded in Miami with the help of the Bee Gees!!). "If it Wasn't for the Nights" sees one of the most perfect moments of disco-pop ever - and over five minutes long which was unheard of in those days! "Angeleyes" has to have the bigges hook of any pop song and we see the album finished off "Kisses of Fire" where the girls sound like Baccara (but better of course!). If you like ABBA buy this! If you like disco buy this!! If you like music buy this!!!
VINE VOICEon 25 June 2003
The problem with these CD updates is that nutters like me already have the vinyl, plus the extra tracks on the mutlitudinous compilations that are now available, so I'm not too sure why include the extras at all. Taking that into account I still rate the original 10 tracks as classics one and all. This was the first new ABBA album I bought for myself. I think it still rates as among the top albums written by Benny & Bjorn. Especially so when you consider some of the 'unknown' stuff on here. I would especially single out 'King . . .' & ' . . .Nights'. Any track on here could've been a single without too much trouble. Good production and excellent vocals. Manybe even the last of the albums on a more upbeat note, before the relationships started taking hold of the song-writing. Recommended listening.
on 4 July 2007
The ever adaptable ABBA kept their finger on the late 70s pulse by dipping into the sex-soaked disco culture. Without adopting genre wholesale, they got creative with some of its tricks for their own classic pop creations.

"If It Wasn't For The Nights", an absolute delight, is a perfect example of this marriage of dancefloor pizzazz to Abba's trademark piano-driven tunefulness. It is the No.1 single that should have been. The disco feel is more keenly felt on the album's zingy title track, which still sounds fresh almost 30 years on. Meanwhile, the sexy "Lovers" adds a sultry touch of funk to the mix.

Like any Abba album, great tunes are at the core. "Angeleyes" and "Chiquitita" are among Abba's all-time classics. The structure of the latter owes more to, perhaps, classical music than to pop and, like "I Have A Dream," is a little at odds with the overall feel of the album. Nevertheless, it demonstrates the breadth of Andersson's and Ulvaeus' talent. "The King Has Lost His Crown", with it's dreamy intro, Frida's sultry lead vocal and that melting string arrangement, is a hidden gem. Understandly so if you consider that 5 of the album's ten original tracks achieved A-side status: "Chiquitita", "Does Your Mother Know?", "Voulez-Vous", "Angeleyes" and "I Have A Dream".

This remastered version of the album is augmented by the 1978 hit single "Summer Night City", "Lovelight", (a B-side which actually sounds like an A-side) and the 1979 hit "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" - a sample of which breathed life into Madonna's "Hung Up". These bonus tracks were recorded during the album sessions and work well with the set.

Well mastered and crammed sull of hits, this is a definite must-have album.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2000
For some odd reason the "Voulez-Vous" album is sometimes regarded as a blot on the Abba landscape. But why? This album contains some of Abba's finest moments and yielded five hit A-sides. Ever adaptable, they kept their finger on the pulse of the late 70s by dipping into the buzzing disco culture. Rather than completely immerse themselves in the genre, Abba merely borrowed some of the tools and tricks and applied them to their classic pop creations. "If It Wasn't For The Nights", an absolute highlight, is a perfect example of this marriage of dancefloor pizzazz to Abba's trademark piano-driven tunefulness (it really should have been a single). The disco feel is more strongly felt on the album's zingy title track which, 20 years later, still sounds fresh. Meanwhile, the sexy "Lovers" adds a touch of funk to the disco feel to spectacular effect. Like any Abba album, great tunes are the core. "Angeleyes" and "Chiquitita", of course are among Abba's all-time classics. The structure of the latter owes more to, perhaps, classical music than to pop and demonstrates the breadth of Andersson's and Ulvaeus' talent. Of course, younger pop fans will be familiar with "I Have A Dream" as performed by Westlife - but Abba's version appeared first on this album and was a big Christmas hit in 1979. However, because of the snobbery directed against disco, many excellent songs here have been stupidly overlooked. "The King Has Lost His Crown" is a prime example. With it's dreamy intro, Frida's gorgeous lead vocal and a melting string arrangement, this song could have been a hit single but, just like "If It Wasn't For The Nights", it remains a largely undiscovered album track. To these ears, only one track falls short of the mark and that is "Does Your Mother Know?" (a No.4 hit in 1979) and even that's still pretty popular. This remastered version of the album is augmented by the 1978 hit "Summer Night City" and "Lovelight", a B-side which actually sounds like an A-side.... These bonus tracks were recorded during the album sessions and work well with the set. Make no mistake, this is an excellent Abba album. At mid-price, it is definitely a worthwhile investment.