on 9 May 2013
I bought this to use with my bicycle when I take it to university. Overkill? Perhaps, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

After several months of hauling it in my backpack (along with laptop, books, toolkits, and more!), I decided to start leaving it locked up at university to save me some back trouble later in life. This is a rather heavy lock (I would weigh it if it was at home with me), and actually weighs more than my bike itself!

As for security, it's great. No one is getting through this without extreme difficulty. I only say that because any lock can be broken given enough time and patience; I'd be more worried about a potential thief destroying/stealing what the bike is actually locked to, it'd probably be easier.

If you're going to be using this lock with a bicycle that has quick release wheels like mine, I'd advise you purchase the lock alongside a cable, such as the Kryptonite Kryptoflex 7 ft Cable Lock (10 mm x 213 cm), which you can snake through your wheels and lock up to this chain.

You get 3 keys with this lock: one main key that has a blue LED inside (useful for seeing the lock in the dark, but I've not had to use it yet, personally) and 2 spares. If you do buy, remember to register your keys with Kryptonite should they get lost or stolen (they have numbers on them).

All in all, very happy with the lock. I'd gladly leave my bike all day at uni without fear of it going walkies... well, ridies.
on 4 September 2014
The chain is CHUNKY! The lock seems pretty durable too. My bike is still here so so far so good. Touch wood. One metre is plenty long enough to get it round the frame, a wheel, and the thing you're locking it to. It is heavy though. That's a good thing in my book but a cable or d - lock might suit you more if looking for efficiency. Personally, I prefer having a bike that's still there after leaving it somewhere overnight.
on 7 December 2014
This is a very solid lock. If you need a lock to use in your shed / house or car, then I can highly recommend this one.

At 5kg in weight, it’s not something you are going to want to carry around, but it is made from high quality steel, and importantly for insurance policies, it is approved to ‘Gold Sold Secure Standard’.

Make sure you register your keys with Kryptonite, so if you loose them, you can get sorted with replacements.
on 12 January 2015
monster, wish I got the longer one now but even for travelling at 5kgs its not so bad if you want piece of mind leaving your bike behind.
on 9 November 2015
Heavy confidence inspiring. A case of fingers crossed.
on 4 February 2013
Bought for my sons motorbike. A really good strong lock, if you register it can get replacement key which is handy. Very happy with it.
on 6 June 2015
Seems to do the job :) haven't had my bike stolen yet which is good. The chain is perfect for more flexibility in chaining your bike to a variety of things.
Only downside is the weight of the thing!!! Scared it will snap my spokes :/
on 4 March 2015
Very Heavy if you are going to it carry around, but I use it at home with a ground anchor, As specified by an insurance company.
on 23 August 2014
Costing a fraction of the price elsewhere, this lock and chain offer unparalleled security - especially is paired with a ground anchor.
on 20 September 2012
great lock,peace of mind if you leave your bike anywhere even though its on the heavy side its worth its wieght! easily wrapped around the front of the frame behind the handlebars, so easy to carry too!

See one answered question