Customer reviews

on 2 April 2002
This album marks Dusty's late-70's comeback, her return to the spotlight and centre stage... only it, in fact, didn't. Instead this fantastic album was mostly ignored by the public of the time, barely marking the charts. Now at last its been re-mastered and re-issued.
'It begins again...' marks a noticable change to Dusty voice, even the choice of song. Having read her biography, its clear also that had much more control over the songs included, perosnally choosing the Barry Manolow cover 'Sandra'.
Dusty pulls off a very convicing diva routine on 'Thats the kind of love I've got for you' (a perfect 70's disco stomper, look out for the 12' mix) and then comes over all lovey on 'I'd rather leave while I'm in love', also taking a side-swipe at the Californian crowd in 'Hollywood movie girls' and the free-love culture of one-night-stands in 'Love me by name'.
This is Dusty at her best following her 60's domination of the music scene and the one album from her 1970's 'wilderness' years that really hits the mark and shows her true class.
on 28 March 2004
I love this album. I have it on vinyl and have looked for a copy on CD off and on over the years - and now here it is. It contains what I think is one of the greatest songs ever written - Carole Bayer-Sager's wonderful "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love" which is given the pure platinum, never-to-be-beaten treatment by Dusty.
Other highlights are Sandra, Hollywood Movie Girls and Love Me By Name. Personally - if I could only have one DS album - this would be it ...and on my Desert Island, I'd insist on having at least the single of "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love". This is a must have !
on 30 August 2004
Dusty Springfield was certainally taken for granted by the time this masterwork was released as it should have been a huge success for Dusty!! From the haunting vocal on the opening "Turn Me Around", it is clear that Dusty is in peak form at her soulful best!!! Photographs of Dusty show a soft delicate beauty not seen before and the voice matched in its delicate glorious tones. "Sandra" becomes an engrossing tale of a shattered life and "Hollywood Movie Girls" explores how many get to that place in life. "Love Me By Name" is a gorgeous ballad that takes one to the depth Dusty's soul with a magnificent vocal while a wild rhythmic rocker "Checkmate" features Dusty at her soulful best!! Peter Allen must have been moved by Dusty's classic version of his "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love" as he toured with Dusty in the 80's bringing one of the finest ever concerts to The Greek Theatre that received too many standing ovations to count!! Dusty's hauntingly beautiful version of "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love" should have been a blockbuster hit and it is strange that it wasn't...another rhythm cooker "That's The Kind Of Love I've Got For You" has a scorching vocal by Dusty that ends this fine collection of vocal masterpieces sung as only Dusty could!! We Miss You Dusty!!!!
on 14 January 2009
An extra special album in many, many ways, this generated a lot of excitement when the news spread that Dusty Springfield was back in the recording studio after a five year absence.Many fans must have been on the point of giving up hope of ever seeing or hearing the same Dusty who had so magically set the world on fire back in 1963.
We certainly get to see, and hear her. As if to prove that she was back, and with a difference, we are shown on the cover, a more natural looking Dusty,as you've never seen her before, shoulder length hair-style, and still wearing make-up, but, not half as much as we were accustomed to seeing, we finally get to imagine what Dusty must have looked like without ANY make-up, and, i have to say, incredibly alluring. As if that is not startling enough, we are made to realise that this is her statement album, both visually and vocally.
A diverse mixture of tracks, we have the soft piano and easy beat of "Turn Me Around", this warms up in the second half until it's positively sizzling, another slow and easy song is "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love" (written by Peter Allen/Carole Bayer Sager) this brings me out in goose pimples, despite it's rather sad lyrics. On "Checkmate" we have a bubbly, feverish rhythm accompanied by a lusty vocal, another fiery delivery is "Love Me By Name" and the jaunty "A Love Like Yours (Don't Come Knocking Every Day)" which was a minor hit .
"Hollywood Movie Girls" has a feminist feel to it as well as a clear vocal on difficult, jerky lyrics. "I Found Love With You" is a cheerful and very catchy disco piece that sounds as though it wants to gallop away at any minute...which it does eventually, rather like a restrained animal finally untethered. Not a great lover of disco' myself, (or so i once thought!) Dusty has convinced me to change my mind, because the moment the synthesizers and brazilian samba beat kick off "That's The Kind Of Love I've Got For You" we just cannot ignore the fact that, this is a VERY infectious track, quite surprising and i've grown to love this a heck of a lot, perhaps Dusty realised her fans would really love this, because we also have the extended version.
Many people have drawn comparisons between the lyrics to "Sandra"(written by Barry Manilow) and Dusty's own problems with drink and self mutilation, although we did not get to hear of this until many years later, and whether or not they had reached such a critical point prior to this album, is unclear, but it makes listening to this track extremely painful.
For the fans who had found Dusty again back in 1978, this must have felt like losing a pearl, years previously, searching again, and finding a gold nugget.
'It Begins Again' holds a special place in my album collection, and a special place in my heart, Dusty was back, not quite with the same explosion of '63, but quite a bang nevertheless.
on 16 March 2002
I bought a second-hand vinyl copy of ''It Begins Again'' in 1994 for next to nothing. What amazing value for money it turned out to be. This album intrigued me. The portrait of Dusty on the front sleeve was stunning and given that the singer was most well known for her music of the mid-sixties and late-eighties, I thought an album she recorded in 1977 might be interesting to listen to. This album in fact made a lasting impression on me. I like the choice, and variation, of all the tracks, from the soft-rock of ''Turn Me Around'' to the rather glossy ''Hollywood Movie Girls''. It is however Dusty's killer version of the Barry Manilow song ''Sandra'' that rates as the finest track on an already fine album. Such a pity that the singer's next album could nowhere near match this one...
on 5 January 2005
I bought this on vinyl as soon as it was released. Somebody stole it fifteen or so years later, and could I find a relacement?.... My joy at finding this on CD is boundless. As a Dusty fan from the very beginning, I rated this as something simply special. Not a bad or indifferent track on the album. The varying moods, the phrasing, THAT voice. If Dusty was alive and this was released today it would surely be a top seller. It deserves to be. Buy it and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. If you are, I'll give you your money back!! This plays and plays on my system and even on my ipod in the gym. Simply fabulous, simply Dusty.
on 8 July 2006
"It Begin's Again" is another Dusty Classic and a vocal masterpiece...the likes that will never be heard again! For some really strange reason this awesome work that has many stand-out performances from Dusty was overlooked except but those of us who knew...this is truly a masterpiece and Dusty's hypnotic performance of "Love Me By Name" alone makes this masterwork a must have! We love and miss you Dusty and thank you for all of the amazing collections of classic performances that you left behind such as this stellar collection of tremendous performances...you always will be the greatest.
on 27 November 2012
After a four year lay off Dusty Sprigfield was back with a new record deal and fitting herself into an easy lisstening groove. It is very good. A Love Like Yours is a particular favorite. A disco highlight is That's The Kind Of Love I've Got For You. Very listenable and all Dusty Springfield fans will want this CD in their collection.
on 10 March 2002
Every song on this album is superb from the very first song "Turn me around" which is so good also her singing of Manilow`s "Sandra" is so beautiful and then quite the opposite is "Thats the kind of love I`ve got for you" is so disco and funky a really great album by which at last is released on CD also great to include a remix track too briiliant cover too Dusty looks brilliant!!!
on 25 February 2013
A great pop soul album filled with wonderful covers.
Dusty can do no wrong here her voice simply breathtaking.
Tears rolled down my cheeks as I remembered the great lady now looking down on us all from heaven.
Dusty we miss you every day.
Tracks most enjoyable include 'Sandra'..'Hollywood Movie Girls'..'A Love Like Yours'..
You got to have this in your collection.