Bare Bones
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 May 2009
The most lovely voice transporting you back in time to the era of the great Billie Holiday.
on 27 April 2009
Having purchased and enjoyed the CD Careless Love, I didn't hesitate to purchase this one when I saw that it had charted. What a mistake! It's a real drag. She sings well enough, but there isn't a single song on here that's worth a listen. I hoped the songs would grow on me, but alas, they're all pretty dreadful. I notice that she co wrote the songs. A writer of songs she isn't! No redeeming features I'm afraid.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 20 April 2009
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This gorgeous new album from Madeleine Peyroux is more downbeat than Careless Love but still utterly sublime. Sometimes her voice is ear-poppingly like Billie Holiday's in the way that it just floats over the accompaniment like a reedy woodwind instrument. A perfect adult album for chilling out on a Sunday.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2009
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Peyroux has been described as the best selling jazz vocalist of the last decade. This however is my first introduction to the American-French singer song writer, who wrote or co-wrote every song on this 11-track release. The fourth album in only four years, and as a lover of jazz, I found this release a little watered-down, and perhaps more suited to background listening. The opening track was soulful, but didn't grab me. The title track, however, was stronger, but I couldn't help but think that Peyrouk was treading in safe waters, and could quite easily break free and live a little more and take a risk. That's not to say she isn't a great recording artist in her own right; she has a voice akin to Elkie Brooks with a soft, mellow jazz feel. Perhaps with a little more perseverance, this may be a worthy album for me. Sadly, on first listen, it falls short on expectations.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 September 2009
I had not heard Peyroux before and bought this CD on the strength of other reviews I had read. I have not been disappointed. Even my husband likes her and he has very traditional jazz tastes. She has a wonderful voice and her songs are not 'samey'.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2009
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'd seen the advertising campaign but never heard this performer - Bare Bones seemed at first like jazzy background music and a bit samey, but then the lyrics in You Can't Do Me got through to me and I really warmed to her.
The well-documented background of Madeleine's hippy upbringing and street busking in Paris make her seem grounded and at ease with herself and her laid-back lifestyle. Or have I just swallowed the hype??? Don't know - but I like this CD more and more.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2009
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
No, actually not. More appropriate words may be the following -

Supine - lying flat on one's back.
Somnambulism - sleep walking.

These are two states you may find yourself in halfway through this album. The pace is unrelentingly slow and the rhythms and general feel of all but a couple of the songs would send even the most determined insomniac off into the land of nod in no time at all.

The first track is upbeat enough with a nice false ending, but then fades out - why do that? If your sing has a nice solid ending, why restart it only to fade it out? After that, well it all pretty much of a muchness with one track merging into another with no discernible break.

Recommended for late night smooches, but not for parties.

Tis a pity as previously there has been more colour.
on 14 May 2009
For fans, this latest offering is well worth the price. Newcomers to the Peyroux fold would be making a good start with this CD.
VINE VOICEon 5 May 2009
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're unfortunate enough to be invited to dinner by a Dido fan, take "Bare Bones" along; you might get some blessed relief from Dido's motel lobby muzak and your host/hostess might learn something. Because in her favour, Madeleine Peyroux does have an interesting voice, quite sultry, quite smoky at times. Disappointingly, the album does not do what it says on the tin. The bones are actually fleshed out with rather too lush arrangements. They're too "tasteful" for the sometimes quite heartbreaking lyrics. Peyroux probably gets played in better motel lobbies than Dido, and this album is pleasant enough background music, but its lack of light and shade soon begins to pall when you give it your undivided attention.
25 people found this helpful
on 18 May 2009
I bought this CD for my wife, and we both found it very disappointing and dare I say boring. My wife, who has enjoyed previous Peyroux CD's had to agree. To me, all her tracks sound the same!