on 1 April 2014
2014 Heavyweight double vinyl.
Welcome reissue of a great album from the last years of Johnny Cashes life. Mainly an album of covers and previously recorded material with the title track as the only new and original Cash song.
As reviews of the time mention-his voice has deteriorated and this is evident on 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'. Some tracks are slightly hard on the ears but the emotion on 'Hurt', 'In My Life' and 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' is overwhelming.
The sound quality of the vinyl is very good-even on my entry level Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable Black and bookshelf HiFi speakers.
The only minus is the lack of quality poly lined sleeves inside the printed inners. The card stock used is good but harsh on vinyl. I only removed the LPs a few times before placing them in Mobile Fidelity Original Master Record Sleeves: Pack of 50 from Analogue Seduction and the vinyl has been marked.
That aside this is a great album.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 January 2016
Last studio album (2002), before Cash died the following year; "American IV" contains some great music. Yes, the man is clearly ailing, but this brings extra meaning and emotion to his voice. A religious man, brought up singing gospel, cash's "The Man Comes Around", is full of biblical meaning, the lyrics taking Cash many versions to perfect. His voice on the covers, is also wonderful. From the poignancy of "Hurt" to the stripped down acoustic version of "Personal Jesus", his choices are eclectic, yet his voice suits them all. I wouldn't normally dream of getting an album mainly of covers, but Cash is just that good, I'm so glad I did. A great album.
on 24 February 2016
Johnny Cash was an ill man who knew he hadn't long to live when this album was released. The tone is sombre and reflective - black in places. Many of the songs cover death, separation, redemption and forgiveness. The material is poignant and it's easy to imagine the love songs are all directed at is wife, June Carter. At times it seems he's singing too slowly, as if he's aiming at eternity - which perhaps he was. This is a beautiful and deeply moving album. A fitting legacy for his lifetime achievements. Strongly recommended. Rest in peace, Johnny.
on 2 February 2017
As I've admitted in a review for A Hundred Highways, I'm afraid I don't really like country & western - but Cash is a very different animal. He alone can make me listen to country. He brings a very dark edge to even the 'sunniest' of songs/tunes, and an appreciation/acceptance of the way real life can be cruel. Good examples of this are the very powerful The Man Comes Around and Hurt (the tracks I bought the album for). As with A Hundred Highways, Cash new he was terminally ill while recording the last of this series of albums - which adds extra impact. Burns you to the soul.
on 8 April 2013
i listen to this album a few times but I wasl eft feeling that while it was a great idea and product, it is obvious that age had taken something away from Johnny's voice.
it starts off so well and "Hurt" is sublime, it is all there, the regrets, the sadness and a lot more.
Bridge over troubled water and the first time ever I saw your face are sung in Johnny's style and though I have hated covers of these numbers, these versions are brilliant. I really liked them even with the huge reservations before hand.
Yet as the album progresses I lost interest because it was there to be heard, Johnny sounded tired, as if going through the motions and it lacked that verved of his.
It is worth having for many great reasons but I have become very selective on what I will listen to on this album. Age was the problem, not the singer.
on 27 May 2017
The man comes around is an excellent cd, it's Johnny Cash last will. He talks about the end of one's life and reflects about man's past life through the covers he sings!
on 17 August 2013
I had to buy this album again because I discovered that I'd lent out my original copy and it had never come back. In so many respects, this album is the summit of Johnny Cash' career, as well as being his swansong.

Most people, I expect, know it because of "Hurt", which is so achingly poignant that it can be painful to listen to at times. However, there is more to "The Man Comes Around" than that. I'd liken this album to late period Billie Holliday, the phrasing is exquisite, even though the voice is damaged by years of abuse.

It is, to my mind, an essential album for anyone who likes their music honest, emotionally naked and utterly without artifice.
on 26 April 2017
I'm glad I bought this CD...it has an interesting playlist which I like and would recommend.
on 6 July 2014
The great Johnny Cash saved the best till last, as this album came out not long before he died. It is often said it is easy to do cover versions, but in reality it's more difficult making making a cover songs your own. Johnny Cash is one of the few who can both write good songs but has also made many cover versions unique. "Hurt" being one example and the video is also well worth a watch. Actually I would go as far to say one of the greatest albums ever.
on 1 June 2017