Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.99

VINE VOICEon 3 July 2017
Lush soundscapes with intricate lyrics and the haunting pipes of Martina Topley Bird, Maxinquaye beguiles, unsettles and keeps the aural interesting. The first nine songs are barn stormers, the last three- not so much. But I love the album so. It doesn't feel aged or 'of a certain time' at all.
on 6 June 2016
great
on 6 July 2015
Quality album
on 17 October 2014
Tricky at his best
on 9 November 2015
Growing up a mile from Tricky I know the area/s he talks of so it makes me feel very nostalgic yet depressed. As the music resonates with our childhood and I have some bitter sweet memories of back then. Tricky is one of the greatest writers of heart felt personal music I know of. I am familiar also with Massive Attack as they are from Bristol aswell so am in love with their edgy often melancholy sounds also. This is the best of Trickies work and for me for me 100th window is my Massive fav. A great introduction to the Bristol and Knowle West/ St Pauls sound is this. You might like Martina Topley Bird also as she has sang on many Tricky tunes and her own albums.
on 9 February 2007
I bought this album in March 95, and it still holds. Keep coming back to it, every now and then. Just have to hear "Overcome" or "Pumpkin" in another context, and I think: yes, that was a good album, and I put it on... and it's just as great an experience now as it was the first time I heard it. You cannot overrate it! It's as integrated an album as the Beatles' Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper; and if that doesn't mean anything to you, well that's your problem!

Every tune leads into the other, they are magnificent by themselves and outstanding as part of a whole. One hell of a modern symphony, if you like!
on 31 December 1999
I really like this album. I'd first heard Tricky on the Massive Attack/ Protection CD and from hearing that, felt it was worth taking a chance on his solo album - what a lucky guess.. Seriously, if you want something dark and metallic, kind of fresh out of the furnace sounding, balanced with well thought-out lyrics and haunting vocals this will work for you. It has (for me anyways) a good balance of emotional tones in the different pieces, without resorting to repetition, although this does crop up in a very interesting way for those who already own Massive Attack's Protection album. The two albums, side by side, seem like two interpretations of a singlular theme; the cut-and-pasting of voices and lyrics between the two albums opens another perspective from which to appreciate tricky's work on this album. End result: on it's own feet 'tis a memorable album, side by side with Massive Attack's Protection it offers a deeper and intriguing statement. But then you might just like it for the beats..
on 21 July 2003
The thing that really sets this album apart from anything else produced in the last 10 years (including Tricky's other albums) is the lyrics. Like reading Shakespeare or listening to the ramblings of a drunk it takes a while to make sense of the words and realise just how much wisdom there is lying beneath:
"You feed me lies, distortion - the English disaster"
"I was raised in this place, now concrete is my religion"
"We're hungry, beware of our appetite"
I could try writing paragraph after paragraph about the different meanings I take from these lyrics and why I think they show us how ugly and scary an institution modern British culture can be, but I could never get the point across the way Tricky does. You know when you hear a tune and it's so good that you're convinced you've heard it before? Well that's how I feel about the words on this album - they sound like they were just waiting for someone to say them.
It's not just the lyrics either - the music creates the paranoid mood the lyrics evoke and the lyrics describe the dark lonely places the music takes you to, making it almost impossible to seperate the two. The beats are disjointed and messy - but never just for the sake of it. The chopped up ideas and phrases and the layering of different vocal parts on every song takes you to the twisted place the narrator is living in.
8 years down the line and this album still sounds ahead of the game - phrases like trip-hop and chilled-out are deceptive (even insulting), save them for baby food music like morcheeba. I rank this album up there with all the classics - astral weeks, the stone roses, dylan, marley. I just hope time proves me right!
44 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2005
I only got this album recently but wish I'd bought it sooner; it's beautiful...I expected its general dark, paranoid theme but was surprised at how varied it was both musically and lyrically. And the vocals are amazing! Anyone into Massive Attack etc should definitely give it a go...
on 8 March 2005
I don't normally write reviews, but was sitting at the computer, decided to put some music on and came accross this album in my collection. I had forgotten just how much I love it, it's easily my favourite album of the 90's if not all time! Buy it now, you will not regret it!