Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 10 October 2001
THIS was a MAJOR turning point for Cliff. A totally new direction, a gamble and it paid off. A diverse set of songs, but how fresh it sounded in 1976 compared to previous Cliff albums and what a good set of songs!
"I can't ask for anymore than you" is funky, "I'm nearly famous" rocks like mad, "Lovers" pulls at the heart-strings, "Miss you nights" is spine-tingling, "Devil woman" is Cliff's best-ever rock track, "Such is the mystery" is a masterpiece and "You've got to give me all your lovin" is pure disco.
Who said Cliff was bland! They all had to eat their words.
This was, and still is, a truly stonking Cliff album. 3 Top 20 hits and his biggest-ever U.S. hit ("Devil woman"). No weak songs at all. Even the pure-pop of "Junior cowboy" still delights.
Superb Cliff album.
on 20 July 2002
What do you think of when you think: Cliff? Bland, sing along tunes? Cheesy ballads? Throwaway kitsch? If you answered yes to any of these questions, I guarantee you will be flabbergasted when you listen to "I'm Nearly Famous". Just listen to those superb, funky, top-notch high-pitched vocals of "I Can't Ask For Anymore Than You". (Yes, it really is Cliff Richard). Let yourself be gripped by the heart-wrenching "It's No Use Pretending" (lovely words and melody, and wonderful backing vocals); by the quintessential romantic ballad "Lovers"; by the compelling, chilling, mind-consuming "Miss You Nights" and the hauntingly beautiful "I Wish You'd Change Your Mind". I like love ballads; but there's not one of today's line-up of boy bands and soloists who can match the profundity of expression and unique poignancy of Cliff's voice. Let yourself be drawn inward by the gentle, evocative yet immeasurably stirring "Such Is The Mystery". This song is a strange enigma which touches you deeper and more lastingly every time you hear it. ROCK to the electrifying, vibrant, exhilarating "I'm Nearly Famous" and succumb to the fast, furious, spellbinding "Devil Woman". In the tear-jerking rock ballad "Alright, it's Alright", you might be forgiven for supposing you were listening to a rock band, but the singing here is really quite exceptional. Cliff, attacked for lack of versatility, flawlessly combines rock, pure pop, disco, romantic ballad and gospel, spanning a huge vocal range. In its entirety, the album is skilful, versatile, exciting and original and has its own, inimitable sound. Complete with symbolic bonus tracks, (including the uplifting "Love On (Shine On)" and the brilliant, once banned "Honky Tonk Angel", this album provides a unique documentary to the turning point in Cliff's career which (deservedly) ensured him immortality in British pop music. If you buy this, you will NEVER, EVER call Cliff bland again.
on 5 April 2001
Well, what exactly can be said about this album? It is without doubt the best album ever released by Cliff Richard and that is saying something! There is not a single duff song on this CD from the totally un-like-Cliff-sounding I Can't Ask For Anything More Than You (Cliff sings Bee Gees anyone?) to gems such as the fabulous Miss You Nights and Devil Woman, this album has it all. During the early part of the seventies, Cliff's career was going downhill fairly rapidly. The songs that he was recording were pretty lame, lightweight, throwaway popsongs that sold but not nearly as much as his great sixties hits. This trend ended with this album thanks to the help of one time Shadow, Bruce Welch who produced this album and found most of the songs on it for Cliff to record. This album caused a sensation when it was released back in 1976, it was again "cool" to be a Cliff Richard fan and rightly so. On the strength of the popularity of this album, Elton John signed Cliff to his Rocket Records label and released this album in the USA which led to Cliff's first American chart hit with Devil Woman since Congratulations reached No. 99 in the Hot 100 8 years previously. There really is not a duff song on this album. If you don't believe me, order it for yourself and you will see (hear) what I mean!
on 5 April 2001
It is fantastic news EMI have finally chosen to rerelease four classic Cliff albums - and this one, "I'm Nearly Famous" is probably the highlight of his career. As well as well-known singles "Miss You Nights" and "Devil Woman", this album contains some of the best album tracks from Cliff including the beautiful "Such Is The Mystery" and "If You Walked Away". This rerelease also contains several bonus tracks of b-sides and singles never released on an album. Upgrade from your old scratchy vinyl, and enjoy the definitive Cliff album in digital remastered glory.
on 20 December 2015
This was a really good album, originally produced by Bruce Welch which was a springboard for Cliff to enter a new phase & style of recording. For that reason it has always stood the test of time & has been one of my favourites ever since I owned the vinyl version. Did plonk it onto a cassette many moons ago but just had to replace it with a CD....at last! Bonus tracks make it a very good buy. Thoroughly recommended as an album & as a milestone in Cliff's career.
on 6 February 2004
This Album was recently recommended to me and I can say without hesitation that the recommendation was totally justified.
I just cant stop playing it. Every single song on the Album is good.
Stand out tracks for me are the title song, Im Nearly Famous, Honky Tonk Angel, Devil Woman, Miss You Nights, and the beautiful "Lovers" and the very special "Such is the Mystery" which has an appeal that is hard to put into words.
If you dont have this Album, do buy it. If you're a Cliff fan you can't be without it, if you are not a Cliff fan, on hearing this you soon will be!
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2006
Cliff was someone we all grew up with during the 50`s & 60`s. It was not a cool thing to like Cliff during the following decades. I remember during the mid 70`s when he had a rich vein of success in particular ` I can`t ask for anymore than you` & Devil woman, both featured on this fine album. I have never bought a Cliff c.d before but I am sure this is his one of all time which would surely please his biggest fans and the critics alike. Every track is outstanding.
on 31 January 2013
imo Cliff best years for vocals/song choices were in the 70's and up to 1987/8 , then it all went a bit cheesy , I still bought the cheesy stuff, but cliff seemed more interested in what could be a hit song then weither it was classy or not. This album is class, Cliff's vocals were fantastic then, he sings with such ease and feeling, you can tell he means every word he sings. The songs , the production, the musicians, the backing vocals, everything on here is class and still sound great 36/37 years on. There is not one bad song on here and with great bonus tracks added also,[ I've always loved Cliff's own written song LOVE ON [SHINE ON] ],this is great value for money. Thanks to Bruce Welch, this album and Cliff's next two Every Face Tells A Story and Green Light are the best Cliff has recorded. I also love The 31st Of Feb Street, Take Me High, I'm No Hero, Silver, The Best Of Cliff Vol 2, The Rock Connection . If you only know Cliff for his top 40 hits, you may be surprised with songs on these albums. I've always been a fan of Cliff since I was young, when ever I went out in the car with my parents I always asked them to play The Best Of Vol 2, I've seen him many times in concert and met him at a book signing, I'm a big fan, but I'm sorry too say, that I havn't bought his last couple of cd's as I can't listen too his voice these days, It's not Cliff's fault, his voice has just changed over the years, he used to have great tone/tune to his voice, imo he can still sing but all the tune and ease of flow has gone from his voices. In 2004/5 Something's Goin, on album was his best cd for years some great songs, but Cliff's voice wasn't up to it, if it had been recorded some 20 years sooner, it could have been great. Please give him a listen on this cd, he was fantastic, none better.
on 16 October 2004
This is the album first released in May 1976 that put Cliff Richard back in the charts produced by Bruce Welch it includes the hit singles Miss You Nights, Devil Woman and I Can't Ask For Anymore Than You in which Cliff uses falsetto for the first time
it is simply a great listen from start to finish
on 27 June 2012
all I'm going to say is, there is not a bad track on the original 12 track album, and this is an under-statement,because I think it's one of his best!there are also 6 bonus tracks added, check out track 14 and 17,also great.
soundscout