on 17 April 2012
A story of growing up, friendship, love, hatred, the consequences of our choices and the things that bond us. St Elmo's Fire is, in my opinion, a brilliant film that many could learn from or at the very least parallel thier own experiences. It's got a great 80's cast (Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez), is both moving and funny and quite frankly I could watch it over and over again!
on 3 December 2017
I totally absolutely love this film, if you love John Hughes films then you will love this, brat pack filled fantastic film full of tears and laughter. And Rob Lowe looks Hot as f*£k 🤭
on 30 June 2009
Wow, first of all I only bought this because it was obviously a well known 80's movie and I was trying to broaden my horizons in terms of film and can I just say that this was fantastic.
I won't give away the story but it is about a group of seven friends who are all college graduates and are fairly wealthy. I was a bit sceptical at first but once the movie got going I understood why it was a classic 80's film. It's funny, moving and got that extra quality that we all look for when needing a good watch!
on 14 August 2017
Totally bad copy of film, we couldn't even watch it, it was like watching a pirate video the volume was that bad. I want my money back !!!
on 29 September 2017
Couldn't turn the subtitles off! Still watchable.
on 6 December 2001
St Elmo's Fire captured a vibrant moment in the 1980's, but the characters and their problems still resonate with the 'young and confused' of today.
If you want to see a classic film about spreading your wings in the big wide world then this is it.
St Elmo's fire brings together the best collection of young actors from a generation of talent.
Judd Nelson (Breakfast Club, 1985) Andrew McCarthy (Class, 1984), Rob Lowe (Class, 1984),
Ally Sheedy (Breakfast Club, 1985), Emilio Estevez, Demi Moore, Mare Winningham, Andie Macdowell.
Directed by Joel Schumacher, a very enlightened guy and a great film brain. Watch out for the added commentary on the DVD, it's a really great insight into how the film was made and it's continuing timeless success from 1985 to today.
Mart Owen.
on 30 December 2015
Where's the cheese gromit fans are jealous and trying to rate bad. Don't be fooled, I've never watched before but I saw a sample on the you tube and it's looks better and more beautiful on the tv, I just think that this film could be cheaper but that doesn't mean that it's not worthy.
on 29 February 2012
This is just to confirm that the Image Entertainment US Blu-ray *does* play in my UK (region B) Sony BDP-S370 player. (Indeed, the back cover contains the A, B and C, "honeycomb" region markers and so the disc is probably completely region free.)

If you need to see the back cover, you can find it on the Amazon US website.

I bought this US disc because the UK disc is no longer available (at least not at a sensible price).
on 27 September 2013
St Elmo's fire was made before I was born, but that doesn't stop it still being relevant and entertaining. It is simply a good film about a group of young peoples complicated life's. There is a lot of good one-liners and if you enjoyed the breakfast club then give this a try. There is also a great 80's soundtrack.
on 5 August 2011
As a long-time fan of the 80s bratpack, this has always been one of my favourite movies from that time. It features a host of the bratpackers at their peak - Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, Andy McCarthy, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy etc. It's such a shame that this is often overlooked in favour of the John Hughes movies. Whilst they're great too, St Elmo's Fire is every bit as good.

Now I already had this movie on DVD and really wasn't sure whether or not to 'upgrade' to the Blu Ray version. I've purchased enough Blu Rays of 80s and 90s movies to know that they tend to go one of two ways - very good transfers, or p1ss-poor/lazy upscale jobs. Finally taking the gamble and purchasing the Blu Ray I have to say it's well worth the upgrade, it's a very good transfer. It's not quite an 'Italian Job' or 'Zulu', but it's certainly better than average. If Zulu and The Italian Job are 10/10s then I'd score the St Elmo's Fire Blu Ray as a 9/10 on picture quality. Colours are vibrant, detail is fine, there was no noticeable noise or artifacting. Audio, you get a 5.1 TrueHD track, which given the great soundtrack this movie has, is very welcome.

Extras-wise, you get (in SD) a commentary by Joel Schumacher, a separate JS retrospective interview, deleted scenes, and the John Parr 'Man in Motion' music video.

All in all - if you're a fan of this movie then this is the best possible version. If you already have it on DVD, is it worth the upgrade? In my opinion, yes. I picked this up for less than a tenner, well worth it.