Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 13 June 2005
I was badgered by a friend who said that these boys were going to be big, and as usual, I didnt listen. Then one day I bought their 'Shot Down' single and was turned onto a sound that really was Nirvana-esque but weren't American. With this in mind, I kept my ear to the ground and decided to go to a gig the other day at the Camden Barfly and was blown away by their sound.
Four likely lads from oop north, namely Oldham way I think, who are polite, but can tear the roof of a venue with their Mudhoney/Nirvana sound.
There is so much energy about this band, and their lead singer looks a lot like Kurt, which is a shame as they are not just Nirvana wannabe's but are almost carrying on the legacy of the grunge sound from where Ash and co left off.
This album is worthy of five stars because its hard to make that grungy sound and be taken seriously these days, but they have done it. I'm not saying that they are the finished article, but they are very young, and I am very excited to see what they can come up with in the next few years.
If you like your rock with shadowy lyrics and tales of woe, but done in a grungey way....these boys could brighten up your summer.
Stoundout track is 'Unsatisfied'...perhaps
on 8 July 2005
I bought this album as a mate told me it was pretty good and he'd seen them a few times. I have to say I was completely blown away when I heard it. First time through I was instantly pulled in by Cosmopolitan, the second song on the album. It's a big catchy riff and 2 and a half minutes of pure energy. But when I got to track 4, Unsatisfied .... WOW what a song. It's just oozes gorgeousness, gets in your head and stays there! I can't believe what a triumpth that tune is. You think things surely can't get any better and then you get to Ironside. Woah! An absolute rock anthem of teen spirit proportions if you ask me. What a genius song. And then, out of nowhere you get intermission. As a massive Elliot Smith fan I couldn't believe my ears, it's almost like the record company mixed up the tapes in the studio and accidently put one of his classics on the alps album. It's just a beautiful song, amazingly well done.
The whole album is just brilliant and I look forward to getting the chance to see them live. If you have ever liked bands such as Nirvana, Sonic Youth etc then buy this album. It's a classic.
on 13 December 2014
Nobody seems to have put on a pedestal track 5....Headlights. I'm stuck for superlatives, so, won't bore you with a surfeit of them, but this track is the outstanding masterpiece of the album. Occasionally you have that moment when you are in awe...when you are so, so glad you bought a cd by a band you'd heard of but knew none of their stuff, at a ridiculously low, insulting-to-the-band 24 pence plus postage, and feel sick that this track existed and you might never have heard it. It is one of the best tracks I have ever heard. Sample it, then agree with me that it is sublime....major chords, minor chords....and done at medium pace with every musician contributing equally...This is a song you can put on repeat, when you are feeling down and want to wallow....Play it loud!!! As for the Grunge bit...I love Nirvana, and can certainly hear them in Nine Black Alps, but the Alps are not a copy, and very few songs on the album you'd actually class as Grunge.You can hear The Baddies ( 1st, excellent album period) Nirvana, Queens of the Stoneage, Three Colours Red and Senseless Things here, but the band itself remains unique..I love punk, but mainly the talented kind...Punishment of Luxury, Ruts, Buzzcocks, The Carpettes, Clash, Radio Stars, and so on, including the aforementioned bands. But recently I've absorbed Billy Talent, Max Raptor and the like. What I'm saying, is, I love rock. I like it fast,medium, moody and accomplished...This cd is everything I want.It's all YOU want, too. You just don't know it yet! Basically..buy this album. For a few, ridiculous pence you can't go wrong, and you will thank me that you took the risk. I've ordered ALL the Nine Black Alps' albums now...Invest in talent as I have done!!!
on 26 November 2005
This has to be one of the best albums I've heard in the last couple of years. I first heard of Nine Black Alps from FIFA 2006, which features their song 'Cosmpolitan', I happened to love that song so much I thought I'd give that album a blast, and man am I glad about that. Its not often albums come along that ooze class as much as this, particularly albums where every track is a 8 out of 10 or more, its THAT good!
Dont be scared off by the comparisons with Nirvana, I'm not the worlds greatest fan of Nirvana but I love this album, I happen to like the likes of Hard-Fi, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, and others.
In summary then, give this a blast, its definetly worth your while!
on 14 August 2005
I first listened to Nine Black Alps after they were recommended to me, as a huge Nirvana fan. After hearing the classic rock anthem Not Everyone and another guitar-pounding great song in Shot Down I bought the album expecting a decent rock album made in the shadow of Nirvana. But they have a fantastic range of songs, displaying a softer, much deeper side on Unsatisfied (best song on the album in my opinion, and relesed this week). With other great songs such as Get Your Guns and Cosmopolitan, this is one of the albums of the year and it's incredible it has come out of the UK. Buy it.
on 21 February 2006
First off, I'm not usually given to writing reviews on Amazon. However, I've been driven to write because these guys have knocked out something pretty special here.
The album contains not one duff track but instead oozes quality. From thundering anthems to intricate melodies and back to thunder again, I've been growing in my admiration every time I listen.
If I had to offer comparisons, I would look towards the Foo Fighters and Queens Of The Stoneage. This album is every bit as good as the work of the masters - buy it and love it. :-)
on 22 January 2006
If you enjoy a good collection of fast moving rock songs, this is for you. Skilled guitarists, this band has put together a record that they can certainly be proud of.
What's nice is that they don't seem like a one trick pony, or bereft of skill; the pseudo-acoustic tracks on the album confirm serious musical talent. The Shot Down EP also has a fantastic acoustic B-Side. They lyrics on all the tracks are strong, and with the kickass drums, you'd be hard pressed not to nod yer head.
Great record - buy it!
on 15 October 2005
Since buying this record I've been unable to stop listening to it. It's one of those great albums where every song is great so you don't feel the urge to start skipping tracks.
Lots of people are comparing the sound to Nirvana and it did reminded me of them in some places. There are obviously plenty of other influences and they're by no means some sort of tribute band, but if you are a Nirvana fan then there's a good chance you'll love this album.
Definitely one of the albums of the year.
on 18 October 2005
Almost all of the tracks on this album are straight-ahead grunge and they're just perfect. The songwriting and arrangement is spot-on "Incesticide"-era Nirvana - not a knock-off, but very similar in style and quality; which means it's very, very good. You'd have to say Sam Forrest's vocals aren't as strong as Kurt Cobain's, but then they make your ears bleed less, too. Track after track, this album is top-quality rock. Highly recommended.
on 22 June 2005
This is probably the best new band for a while, i heard Shot Down ages ago and thought it was good but didn't really think much about it, then, out of nowhere, they produce a mindblowing album. I am hesitant to call it grunge, because to me it's a step ahead, the melodies and lyrics aren't so depressing as any of the other stuff to come from Seattle in the late eighties and early nineties, but the song "Not Everyone" could just as well have been on In Utero.
Best Mancs since Oasis.