• Shine
  • Customer reviews

on 13 July 2017
Well, took me 10 years to get round to trying this one. I guess I thought I may be disappointed with a "comeback" from retirement. I needn't have worried, of course. Joni remains a giant amongst midgets.The sound she produces with the band is consistent throughout the album,,,and, have no doubt, intentional. The glorious golden voice of the past is gone, but the songs are a strong and powerful as ever and the musical ideas brilliant and fascinating, as always.It's a shame that this may very well be the last we will ever hear from Joni, given her current state of health, but who knows - she's surprised everyone before! To give Dylan a Nobel was laughable travesty (Joni said that, or words to that effect). If any songwriter should have got one it's her (I said that) !
6 people found this helpful
on 26 March 2015
It's Joni.....that's enough for me. This is an artist whose ability to touch your heart, expand your imagination and transform your understanding of the human condition matches, at the very least, the works of Dickens and Austen. There is no affectation because Joni simply believes in translating her poetic sensibility and musical universality to all of us. She is comfortable enough with her creativity to let it loose and humble enough to recognise that most of us feel as she does and so enfold us.
on 26 July 2015
I have tended to ignore Joni's later CDs, while adoring her work up to Hejira. I recently took the plunge with this one, and have no regrets.
I can listen to it over and over again. Some reviews are mixed, but I have no reservations. Buy it. I wish her well in her recovery. She is the greatest female singer-songwriter of her generation.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 September 2016
Certainly surprised me, Joni at her protesting best! This woman is a genius. "Shine" title song is my pick, though, "Big Yellow Taxi" is a better version than Joni's hit single! I play this in my car every day, an album you could never grow tired of!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 September 2013
The title track is so beautiful I would have bought the CD just for it alone. I play it over and over again. The overall production is brilliant and the packaging, sleeve notes and sound quality cannot be faulted. It only doesn't rate 5 stars for me because there are one or two tracks I'm not mad about, of which the Kipling poem 'If' is one. It doesn't work for me. The sleeve notes are interesting and add to the understanding of her music at the time especially how she came to compose her first work in some years, my second favourite track on the CD, 'One Week Last Summer.' If you love Joni's later work this is for you.
on 28 October 2017
Enjoyable
on 8 June 2013
If you are looking for Joni at her best, look elsewhere. I found this a bit baggy and without the crisp, clear musicality and the intense emotion of the best work. I'm Joni's biggest fan but this one was not for me.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 November 2013
Have practically all Joni's music and love it all.
This CD is typical Joni. No hope and despair! Brilliant!
Pity she has finished writing but all good things must come to an end.
Excellent as always.
on 6 May 2013
As a long-standing Joni fan, this record is a must. Her voice has mostly gone, but there's something else to find instead - passion, political commitment and her acute view of the world as it is now.
on 17 February 2015