on 23 March 2015
Lovely 2CD compilation which covers the classic Commodores ballads from the 1970s including 'Easy', 'Three Times A Lady', 'Sail On' and 'Still' ~ a trend which continued into the 1980s when Richie was launched as a solo performer by Motown and he produced the likes of 'Truly', 'Hello' and 'Ballerina Girl'. Fans of 'floor-filling' uptempo dance music will also be well served here in the shape of 'All Night Long' (which kicks this album off in party mood), 'Running With The Night' and 'Dancing On The Ceiling'. With a running time of over 2½ hours, this album really is very good value and I have no hesitating in recommending it to Lionel Richie fans of all ages.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2017
This is one of the best double Music CD's of Lionel Richie. I love all the tracks. Had this before but lost one CD. Nice to play in the car as I have a nice sound system. Also when I am baking and cooking in kitchen. The news is do bad these days that I have gone back to listening to my music CD's.
review imagereview image
on 28 February 2009
If you are in any way, a fan or follower of Lionel Ritchies' music, then this really is the album for you. Aptly called "The Definitive Collection", the 2 CDs comprise a total of 38 songs, which in itself is great value. Spanning the periods from his Commodores days to and throughout his solo career, the songs cover the full spectrum of his ability. From the love songs such as 'Truly' & 'Hello' to the dynamic 'Don't Stop the Music' (which defies you not to move) & 'Dancing on the Ceiling', all are familiar and yet still stand the test of time. This is nothing but pure enjoyment.
64 people found this helpful
on 25 September 2016
I recently experienced a mad cd spending spree on this site, and determined to acquire as much of the music of my youth and early adulthood as possible!
I came across this cd, and it instantly went into my purchase basket. Not sure this cd is definitive, but it sure makes for some good listening. It is so easy to forget just how good these people were (are), and it has been lovely being transported back in time.
Highly recommended.
on 30 November 2014
First off Lionel Richie is one of the most iconic song makers of our time. All his hits are here. The reason I won't give this collection 5 stars is for the song Zoom. I heard a full extended version on Pandora. When I hear somethung I like I can quickly go to Amazon and buy it. Zoom is not on the U.S. version so by reviews I seen I can get it on Amazon U.K. which I did. I got the cd in a few days and when Zoom came on it starts a good chunk into the song. No intro just right into the verse. This is one of my favorite songs and I like the intro. If they had to chop any song, why this one? A couple other songs are chopped also so you're not getting even a full length radio edit. I had bought a full lengthe Zoom from Amazon MP3 but I wanted the one I heard on Pandora on a hold in my hand cd collection. This is the second time I got burned from Pandora to Amazon for the same dang song a couple years ago with the Colour Collection and that's all edits. I still never opened it. I guess I can be happy having the 6:38 version on The Ultimate Collection but that's the industry. They keep you buying. I love Pandora as a music source but I wish they would stop with Amazon.com telling you "Here it is" and then it's not. Again the industry.
review image
2 people found this helpful
on 6 July 2015
I saw Lionel on TV recently at Glastonbury. I am old enough to have some great memories of his songs when they were released in the 80's and I enjoyed the songs again when he was at Glastonbury. I did buy his records back in the 80's but thought I will have his CD too - and sometime soon add it to my MP3. Thanks for the good memories Lionel!!
on 7 July 2015
Amazing Album. Lionel Richie is one of my selected favourite artists. This album is amazing. It's not often i say that about an album simply because most albums i buy i find i like about 3 songs or so and the rest are usually rubbish. This album however is so nice to listen to, proper gets me in the mood and i enjoy every song on the album. Listening to it second time over already as i write this review funny enough lol.
on 20 February 2015
It doesn't matter how often you hear the song of Lionel and the Commodores they just get better. The unmistakable voice of Lionel Richie, mellow and strong and enhanced by the superb voice of Diana Ross on Endless Love. This compilation contains a lot of the favourite including Still, Truly, Three times the Lady, and many more from the unique talent of Lionel Richie both with the Commodores and sole. A true talent I never tire of, brilliant!!
on 3 February 2010
The Commodores super soulful group talented guys in their own right,with hits galore until Lionel Richie lead singer, saxophone player in the group from 1968 till 1982 when he went on to pursue solo career, His song 'Running with the Night' featured in video games Grand Theft Auto Vice City but later versions it was removed for some reason and Rockstar North.... He wrote song Lady for Kenny Rogers, Also sang a duet with Diana Ross.....like Barry White, The Commodores and Lionel Ritchie gave us some of the most soulful love songs ever...so this cd set is a extra special gift for someone you love, and also a good album to add to your own collection you will listen to it quite often. I do
on 14 April 2015
I attended Lionel Ritchie's gig in Dublin last month with my girlfriend, her birthday present to me,and he was SUPERB. Thereafter, I felt the need to expand my collection of his music, and so after some diligent research, I chose this Definitive Collection. It certainly captures the very pleasant memories that we both have of that gig, and I would thoroughly recommend it to all serious fans of Lionel Ritchie & The Commodores.