Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Traditional
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 1 October 2007
Peter Grant is a talented young man and I have enjoyed his new album. However, I still think there is something missing from this new offering. Perhaps a better choice of songs next time?
on 21 November 2007
Peter performs "Traditional" very well, but it is a poor lyric by any standard. He sings of wanting his love to be traditional..."the old school traditional". What on earth does that mean? To make matters worse we are given this gibberish again as a bonus track at the end.

"Happy Together" is good apart from the orchestra trying its best to drown out the vocal - the balance is wrong. "That's Life" and "Never Too Far Away From A Song" are similarly over orchestrated - and I don't much care for the orchestra both in terms of overall sound and style.

"This Guy's In Love With You" is quite dreadful. The tempo is wrong, the arrangement is tuneless and it is, at best, a dirge.

"Until You Come Back To Me" is a lovely track and more attractive to those of us who greatly admired Peter's debut album "New Vintage". I also liked "On The Beach", "September Song"; and "Edge of Blue" - admittedly not the most memorable selection of songs, but Peter's voice can be heard in sympathetic settings. At least he gets the chance to show his vocal abilities in these numbers.

This CD is a rag bag of styles and moods and it just doesn't gel. There has been a marked change in direction since "New Vintage" and not for the better. It is clear that this album is attempting to broaden Peter's appeal by trying to be more cutting edge. This is not an unworthy aim, but a questionable choice of material and unimpressive orchestrations have left me with a feeling of disappointment. I do hope Peter's next album will be worthy of his talent; we know he has it in him!
on 22 September 2007
An excellant new singer who is young, british, and extremly talented.I found the album enchanting. A mixture of big band with a slight touch of jazz and some intersting warm ballads. His previous album covered a few Matt Munroe songs and I enjoyed that tremendously,a good first album. I feel this is a step forwards covering what he himself likes and that comes over on this his second album. TRADITIONAL, the title track is wonderful but then so is THAT'S LIFE{not the Sinatra song} YOU'RE WORTH IT,of course HAPPY TOGETHER and especially YOU DON'T KNOW ( HOW GLAD I AM) .There is going to be a lot more to come I hope and if you like an easy listening album that is right up to date then you won't be dissapointed.
on 14 November 2007
Having seen Peter live I bought this album having seen the songs being performed on stage. He has a huge talent and this selection of songs is just great - especially 'The Beach' and 'You're Worth It'. It is so refreshing to be able to hear the words of the songs clearly - he has settled into his unique style on this album - I loved it!
on 22 September 2007
After "New Vintage" which was absolutely superb,"Traditional" is now the usual run in the mill stuff presumably, aimed at the younger generation. Being a member of the old brigade (getting on for 80) I thought this young man was at last catering for those of us who remember what good music used to be. Just think of Matt Monro,Frank Sinatra,Tony Bennett,Vic Damone,Etc.Etc. Peter Grant gave us hope that The Good Times were coming back.Where were the renderings of tunes like Joanna-Walk Away and all the other tracks as on New Vintage.There are countless hundreds of standards which he could have used. May I suggest that his next album includes tunes that are remembered and loved by us oldies.We may be old but we still appreciate good music and not this hard to understand stuff of today, which I can never visualise being remembered in 40 or 50 years time. Peter Grant is a very talented young man and a pleasure to listen to but he must not forget that even the elderly still buy C.D's
on 2 March 2008
Listen...for sum1 so young 2 produce a work of such quality is...just simply a credit 2 talent. The 'auld' foggies ( see the below reviews ) that critize his attempts 2 reach a new audience with classics... albiet variations on them... & attempt 2 inject a new infusion of orginality with modern day takes on 'THAT'S LIFE' ( not the Sinatra song btw ), the awesome 'Never 2 far Away from A Song',the stomping 'Happy Togther' & even, how dare he try 2 b diffrent stand out 'Traditional'!!
This is an album that wants 2 reach out & cater for all. It is vibrant & soothing in parts and yes, it might not 'gel'... i have 2 agree but, nonetheless it is a triumph & a testament 2 a great young British talent who has alot more to accomplish &, who needs 2 b better recognised 4 wot he is trying 2 do... which is reinventing the classic standards in an otherwise dreary modern music world. Hats off..i thank you ;)
VINE VOICEon 3 October 2007
Although his name recalls the deepest excesses of 70s rock (for those to young to remember, Peter Grant was Led Zeppelin's heavyweight manager) this cool twenty-year old delivers something very different indeed. He is, after all, the voice of the new Twix campaign.

This is sunny cocktail bar jazz, the kind of thing that goes down great in swanky nightclubs and expensive cruise ships. There are darker moments - most notably on the insouciant, predatory You're Worth It, and Grant's voice slips cheekily into the funk-jazz or Latino grooves churned out by his super-competent big band. His version of Chris Rea's On The Beach is perfect summer-hit material.

He's less effective on emotive ballads, pretty much murdering Stevie Wonder's neurotic Until you Come Back To Me, most memorably recorded by Aretha Franklin in the 70s. He makes an even bigger mess of Bacharach's This Guy's In Love, totally misreading its desperate, nervy pleading as lounge-lizard confidence.

Worth a 3 out of 5 on the basis that it does some of what it sets out to do very well indeed, this album will nevertheless disappoint anyone looking for the edgy profundity you can find in the mercurial performances of Amy Winehouse - or even on vintage albums by Sinatra or Bennett. The choice of material's at fault, too - Grant might be talented, but the big classic ballads are well beyond his emotional range right now. Stick to the funk, boy.

first published at subba-cultcha.com
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2007
When I bought his first album I didn't know who he was and never have heard of him. It was a wonderful surprise!!! What a voice and a great singer he is! Still has to grow but the essencial is there. The choice of the songs was perfect. Now I was expecting something equal or better. His voice is still there and I think it'll improved as the years go by, but the choice of the songs wasn't the best one, apart from the swing/jazzy This Guy is Love", lovely way to sing it, all the rest is so so. We can't hear his powerful voice in all the cd. I think all his fans were expecting something in the line of Buble, Cincotti, Connick JR and so on, the standards or powerfull songs like Joana.Let's hope next time we can find Grant like we was in the first one - a wonderful surprise for the those who don't know him! I'm still a fan...
on 27 December 2007
i have heard both albums and i think this is an improvement on his last album. I really like the choice of songs, doesn't bother me if they are covers as Im only 21 so I am hearing most of them for the first time anyway. Well done Peter and all involved in making this fantastic collection of music. O yea, if you want a backing singer...
on 29 July 2011
If you're sick of artists covering Frank Sinatra and being pale immitations, you need to check out this chap. He has a superb voice and a very personal iterpretation of some old classics. His original material is a delight - Traditional is one of my absolute favourites adn I defy you to get bored of listening to it. He's just a youngster, so can only develop and immprove so definitely one to watch, and hopefully we'll get to see more of him playing live. Not sure how he's been kept under the radar for so long!