on 28 September 2016
After an absence of 20 years as a fan I listened to Load again. Odd I loved it even though on its release i hated it and it killed my interest in Metallica. I'm now in catch up mode getting the post 95' releases before the release of Hard Wired.
St Anger gets a very bad rap. Too raw for some. I think it's very good and for me it's Metallica's AC/DC Flick of the switch moment - another raw under produced album that got a bad rap on its release in 1983.
St Anger is an angry album and if your going through tough times in your life then brother this is the cure.
Every Metallica album is different and while it's not Ride The Lightening (the best in my opinion) it's still a great album.
on 11 June 2015
I avoided buying this album for some time due to the negative reviews, but I was misled. The first two tracks are as good as anything they have ever done in my opinion. After that, it goes down a little but it is still hugely enjoyable.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 31 January 2015
An album that is seen as cool to hate. Luckily I don't follow the norm and disagree with anybody that says this album sucks. So what if it's not the metallica from the 80s you loved.. get over it. Still a decent album that I've played many many times and enjoy.
on 24 September 2016
I love this CD, best played very loud !!!
on 21 February 2015
This album gets a lot of stick but with a track like frantic, it's worth owning, it completes any true metallica fans collection.
on 29 January 2014
nice price and quick delivery. what else can a man want?? thanks again theo vanderheyden music shop lommel belgium
on 27 July 2017
Well done, normal album.
on 11 June 2003
First off, I'll buy anything from Metallica. I love Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and most of ...And Justice for All. Kill 'em All blew me away the first time I heard it. I could list all the classic tracks, which simply fuelled my adolescence, with lyrics, melody and riffs that I still just have to play along to, and made me want to be in Metallica.

St Anger is different. You won't be trying that hard to play along with this; you won't be learning the lyrics any time soon and it's not the stuff cover bands are made of. I've read review saying it's Nu-metal. No, it's not. It's really thrash, and almost a throwback to 'Hit the Lights' type material. Lars (for the most part) has fallen in love with his toms, and will hit a cymbol at any opportunity, and often the drums overtake the rest of the track.

The album is very (deliberately) 'under' produced; almost lo-fi in its rawness, and because of this most of the tracks sound a bit flat or one-dimensional, and you have to really crank it up to get any atmosphere.

Overall, there's nothing bad on here, but a speed album like this needs shorter, more punchy tracks, and these tend to wander, repeat and grate until you're reaching for the remote to skip tracks for more of the same. Definitely not their finest hour, and possibly overhyped. The stand out track is the title track, and unsurprisingly is the first single. But I'm going to hook out "...Lightning" as soon as I get home... it's just... better.

[Since I wrote this review, I've seen the Metallica DVD 'Some Kind of Monster'. It puts a completely different complexion on the album, and now, I really do like this album, and would up my score to 4 stars. Still not a classic, but at least now I understand it!]
4 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2014
Works perfectly and simply brilliant songs
on 2 March 2015