Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 27 January 2006
Susan Tedeschi, in any just world would be a global superstar. As it is, few in this country even know her name. After the brilliant WAIT FOR ME in 2004, this album is a collection of cover versions, all given Tedeschi's brilliant vocal warmth and passion.
The album opens with the Stones You got the silver, featuring Husband Derek Trucks on slide guitar. The whole feel of the album is uplifting and almost spiritual, as Tedeschi makes each song seem as if it were written by her, even the Dylan number Lord protect my child. There is no studio trickery involved, it is almost as if the musicians just went in, pressed record and did their stuff, and what magic they have created. I would urge anyone who likes powerful female vocalists like Joplin ar Aretha Franklin to investigate Susan Tedeschi - you will not regret it!
on 21 August 2008
Having bought this on the strengh of the fact that Tedeschi's husband , Derek Trucks plays on this , I was really impressed with this album ( do we still call them that?). What a voice! - pitched somewhere between Aretha Franklin and Bonnie Raitt - soulful in the extreme!. Excellent playing and production !.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2009
I bought this together with "Live from Austin TX" and there is quite frankly, no comparison. If anything, this album supports Ms Tedeschi's contention that she doesn't see herself as solely a blues singer. The album opens well and the first three tracks are great, but thereafter I found it somewhat weak and unfocused. When Ms Tedeschi sings the blues, she's up there with the greatest, but there are plenty of artists out there who can do as well or better with a ballad. This is not to gainsay her vocal abilities and she phrases very well on several of the ballad covers. However there is a danger that the real ST is getting lost in the mix; whilst there are plenty of competing ballad singers out there, as a blues artist she's among the chosen few.
on 22 April 2010
Not a plug for Amazon, but it is always worth exploring some of the recommendations they come up with. This was one of them, and if I had known of her I would have bought it 5 years ago when it was first recorded. The opening cover of Jagger/Richards' 'You Got the Silver' is hauntingly beautiful and her voice, rich, full and so expressive works its wonders. 'Lord Protect My Child' (Dylan) shows her off again as a sultry songstress oozing feeling and emotions, but before you start thinking that this is going to be a long, slow dance of an album/cd you are hit with 'Tired of My Tears' and 'Evidence' and comparisons with Millie Jackson spring into your head. The tempo changes throughout and each track seems to draw you in and along so that by the time 'The Danger Zone' comes along you are ready to play it all again. Wonderful album; buy it and you won't regret it.
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2012
I bought this album after seeing a couple of Susan Tedeschi videos on YouTube - great raunchy voice! Initially, I was disappointed, only the cover of Dylan's "Lord Protect My Child" and Iris DeMent's "Sweet Forgiveness" really grabbed me. After a few plays, most tracks really grabbed me; other standouts include the final track "The Danger Zone" (great dirty, fuzzy guitar backing), and "Soul of a Man".

There's only one real dog of a song on this album, "Follow", mainly due to its clunking lyrics. Also, the rhythm section on a couple of others, "Tired of My Tears" and "Security" sound very bashed-out to my ears, but are still good songs featuring a fine singer

If you love soulful blues vocals, this is worth buying. I suspect fans of Bonnie Raitt will enjoy this album.

I'll certainly invest in another Susan Tedeschi album soon.
on 8 May 2015
Great album, excellent choice of covers. Tremendous singing. Excellent price great USA service.
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2011
I was almost put off this artist after buying a previous effort, Wait for me. Penguin's guide to Blues, described it as using the blues as a background effect and I had to agree so it made Oxfam pretty quick. I decided to give her another chance after catching her live at the Cambridge Folk Fest a few years back. Although this isn't straight ahead blues there is only one lapse into what our friends at Penguin called 'sickly Celion Dion balladeering' (they don't hold back).
Instead we have a collection of covers, You got the silver (Stones), Lord protect my child (Dylan), Security (Otis Redding) are the pick for me but most of the album comes across as well thought out and doesn't grate until the penultimate track 'Follow' by Jerry Merrick-(we're back in Celine Dion territory here). Overall its nice to have a reminder of her excellent Cambridge set but I should probably have held out for the live one. I think what we have here is a touch of IBRS (Imitating Bonnie Raitt Syndrome) -for those who prefer the latter's later attempts at making hits to her stunning early blues albums then this will be up your street, but blues fans shouldn't expect much.
on 21 February 2016
Fantastic CD from this lady !!!
on 3 December 2014