on 17 June 2017
Great LP. Quality pressing. Excellent service.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 May 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like many people of my age, I've always tended to associate this style of music with the sound that you hear from the open window of a badly customised Peugot 206 being driven by some slack-jawed yokel in a baseball cap round a suburban town centre: It wasn't until the Burial album of last year that I started to take a deeper interest in it.

Whilst my dancing days are long past, I can appreciate a good album when I hear one. 'Diary' immaculately crafted and executed, with precision dancebeats textured with squelchy early 90s rave synth, spoken word and brass samples. It sounds especially good in a car at night. It doesn't have the crossover appeal of the Burial album - lacking that album's air of early morning melancholy that made it appeal to elderly punters like myself - but any real music lover will find this a rewarding listen.
5 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm quite a big fan of electronic music and dub, but 2-step is not something I can shake hands with, so dubstep seems a good half way point.

The Dizzee Rascal comparison is somewhat correct in that there are some nice dark bits of music, however without lyrics - this is all instrumental - it seems like something is missing as the music is rather simplistic and repetitive to hold your attention, and often most of the music is inoffensive (the best tracks are the first and last). I find it probably would be more suited to a club than being enjoyed by yourself on an mp3 player (I fell asleep listening to it, sorry!) or your living room.

That aside, the sound quality is good and the packaging is very nice. Benga is still a very young artist and I'm sure there's more potential yet to be untapped. For the moment his debut is more interesting for the style of music than an essential listen in itself.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am not a great fan of dubstep, but occassionally you get artists who climb above the limitations of their genre to take their sound to a wider audience like Roni Size for drum and bass, Benga is such an artist.

The opening track on Diary of an Afro Warrior Zero M2 sounds feels like AIR doing a detroit-style techno track and others reminded me of artist such as Sabres of Paradise, Autchre, LFO and Juan Atkins. In common with most electronic albums it doesn't have a unifying concept, but somehow all the tracks work together with some dark but yet not sinister vibes.

I am not going to say that this is the best album in the world ever, but I am glad I left my musical prejudices and pressed play.
on 22 November 2011
Few years ago i was sitting round a mates house when he started busting this out of the blue........instantly i liked it even though i hadn't really heard of dubstep that much.
So brought the album and it became one of my favorite of all time......once i'd rinsed it to death i began the search for more dubstep but in my mind nearly everyone elses version of dubstep seemed to be brainless tack for teenagers. Loads of danny dyer dialogue in the back ground and other rubbish ideas.............3 years later and dubsteps really starting to dominate the charts but not one of these so called producers has got the subtlety or class that benga has. Ok there's been a few stand out songs and i like skreams 1st album but thats about it.........if your only real experience of dubstep happens to be what your hearing in the charts at the moment dont let that put you off coz trust me this guy makes them look like the amateur producers they really are.
on 13 April 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This album is great to unwind too, I have bought albums of similar styles before (as well as had frrebies from a friend that produced similar music before too), this stands out above the rest without shadow of a doubt.

I had some interesting looks whilst purchasing a Bose Sounddock and playing a few tunes of this album to test the tonal range the unit produced. Great album to test equipment out :0)

Admitedly an album that is of more specialist taste than your average customer will buy but I would recomend this to anyone that has never really been into the dubstep genre to try this as their first.
on 12 October 2009
I came to this album with little interest, or exposure to Dubstep, although I knew the sound. This sounds a bit more raw than what I was expecting - as some have pointed out, good material to be mixed at a club. But I find this good music for home actually - it's minimal and interesting, but not much melody. Suits me perfect when I want to chill - but not be sent to sleep. I dislike 'chill out music' in general, so I'm weary of associating it with that. I just mean it's not going to dominate your ears with a catchy melody. This album is about the good beats. It's got nice sparse production though you definitely need to have a volume up and a good stereo to really appreciate that. And at times I wanted more oomph.

I like the album as a whole, as opposed to the individual tracks - the notable exception being 'Pleasure' which is a CHOOOON! I get why a person might see it as a bit dull, or samey. I think that's something to be overcome through further listening. And of course, maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea. As I say, I'm not a massive dubstep fan, nor do I need Dub to breathe. I'm not an expert in this genre at all - but I like pretty much all styles of music where quality is evident. This is a good album in my book. It doesn't rock my world though.
on 20 November 2014
This Is A very Relaxing album. Not like the rasping dub-step of now. It is a good album but don't expect really heavy bass. Saying that there is some beautiful trance like bass lines. Love the black casing of the album. Overall the album is very well constructed and the levels are spot on its just lacking a little something to make it a five star album
VINE VOICEon 2 April 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My brother is a big dubstep fan and recommended this to me. I like more standard dub but am not a massive dubstep fan, but I thought this was quite a varied album, considering that dub can sound quite repetitive at times (although this is part of its charm). Each song stands up on it's own, while the album still works well as a whole. It has inspired me to venture further into dubstep, and my brother says Benga is comparable to Skream and Modeselektor, so I am off to check them out.
VINE VOICEon 2 April 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let's face it, this is never going to be the kind of music that you're going to sit and really listen to with your full attention. Try that and it will rapidly become very boring.

Take it for what it is - music to dance/chill out to and this is a really good album. Nice laid back beats combine well with some interesting (occasionally odd) synth melody lines very effectively.

I don't really know anything about dubstep, but I'll have to find out more.