Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 31 August 2009
Gripping series. Needs concentration to follow the 'plot' and it's gruesome and far-fetched in places but acting is excellent and the story thought provoking. I would certainly 'convert' if Martin Shaw was my priest though!
on 23 February 2009
EXCELLENT - I wouldn't give five stars lightly (Apparitions & in Bruges are all that deserve 5 stars in a long time). There are 6 episodes, to be honest the first episode left me feeling this is some predictable horror yawn but because Shaw's acting is quality you watch the next one and then story starts to take shape. It turns more in to a thriller and by the end you'll want more, it's worth buying.
on 20 October 2009
I loved Apparitions when I saw it on TV and enjoyed it even more when I watched the DVD as I didn't have to wait a week between episodes. How nice to see a Catholic priest who actually keeps his vows and believes in his faith - it's quite a change from the usual offerings on TV. It does wander around the borders of the occult and I did find a couple of bits somewhat dubious, eg. the black mass scene (as I am a Catholic) but overall, good triumphs over evil and it's an entertaining yarn. If you enjoy programmes with a supernatural theme, you should like this.
on 11 November 2009
I bought this DVD based on the reviews given. I must say 'it was gripping!'. Needless to say, I put the last disc in the DVD player expecting another episode when the 'cast interviews' etc was played - though interesting, I would have preferred another/few more episodes. I hope they do make another series - I will be first in the queue!!
on 28 May 2015
It was going cheap, always a bad sign on amazon. But hey ho, lets give it a go.

As fans of SUPERNATURAL, it provided a same sort of theme.
But, as a BBC title, there is a whole lot of realism and long-winded story play going on in this mini-series - so far removed from the bubble-gum story lines of Supernatural.

Overall, as a family we ALL switched off, just could not get into the "realistic" well written drama

It was just not for us.
However said - the quality of the Production was typical BBC quality.

PS - I brought this 2 years ago, its taken me this long to get around to write a review on it.
Sorry to say, writing the review doesn't want to me to take the DVD off the shelf and try it again...
on 20 December 2008
Approaching this as one who is seeking ordination to the Episcopalian Priesthood I was interested for 3 factors.

1: It combined my interest in faith and the trials it under goes.

2: It was helmed by Joe Ahearne who is possibly the best science-fiction & horror director working in the U.K. at the moment.

I was not disappointed in the slightest. Tight drama, superb and believable performances, and amazing scripts to boot. As a fictional drama it excelled, I was excited, appalled by the villains and more than once found my self yelling in victory when Father Jacob triumphed.

As a production the standards were excellent, it all was well researched and never once gave off the impression it was cheaply made. The sets and props were of the highest order.

It doesn't shy away from the issues of faith and in fact discusses them with much clarity without resorting to hysteria. There is much there to consider and I believe it could form the basis of several discussion groups.

All in all it is an excellent series and I look forward to the DVD release with great anticipation
on 5 March 2017
This is currently a great buy on Amazon U.K. This one of the best pieces of work that Martin Shaw has ever done. He plays a premier league Exorcist and Hell's Public Enemy No.1. The storylines are highly intelligent, well researched and refreshingly imaginative. This series was commissioned by BBC Scotland. Obviously, once the PC brigade at BBC HQ in London got wind of what had been commissioned the BBC dropped the project after the first series. How can you have a Roman Catholic priest being portrayed as a Superhero? He's clearly going to offend the Satanist community in the world financial markets! God forbid!
on 7 January 2017
A few very harsh reviews for this series, but personally I rather enjoyed it. Of course you can pull the plot apart if you try hard enough, but that's true of most things little or much, especially once you get into things like the supernatural. Ultimately if you can suspend your disbelief for a few hours then it's something a bit different, well led by Martin Shaw and well supported by a number of not-too-famous faces.
on 16 April 2017
Well acted, but Martin Shaw is a brilliant actor always. Love him as Inspector George Gently .
Very good, and spooky.