Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 April 2010
I despair of the terrible arrogance of most reviewers of this thoroughly classy Diana Krall bossa nova album. I'm a musician and composer so maybe that's why I can appreciate what's on offer here. The band plays the music to perfection, the orchestral arrangements are exquisite and Krall's breathy vocal delivery compliments these perfectly.

There's too much emphasis on music having to be raw and edgy - what if that's not the artist's or musicians' intention? Does that make anything they do pointless or schmaltzy? No - but you do have to listen and not be afraid of gentle, sweet sounds. Turn it up and feel this gorgeous music envelop you. I listen to all sorts, from Ornette Coleman to Ligeti, so I'm not some nattering old gimmer sipping tea to radio twee. I'm just not swayed by some false notion of authenticity and anti-tonal prejudice.

This is a fantastic record - on a par with the very best jazz recordings. Just don't judge it by comparing it to Coltrane or expect it to be something it isn't.
on 3 August 2009
As a crusty old (70) jazzer I often despair at the lack of jazz and good old songs on the radio these days, so when something like this comes along I jump at the chance. I was not disappointed. Diana Krall is a brilliantly talented musician, both vocally and keyboard-wise, supported by very professional accompaniment.

As for the "slow and dreamy" flavour (which many have criticised, I notice) well, that's a personal taste thing, isn't it? It has been my cup of tea for many years and Diana Krall does it perfectly, adding her own inventive signature to every song.
on 14 December 2009
For the life of me I can't understand many of the reviews written concerning "Quiet Nights"! Some complain that there's not enough Jazz in this album, while most point out how 'breathless' or 'whispery' Diana Krall's singing voice sounds here. I guess there's no two ways about it, and either you love her style or downright hate it. I love her so very much and, consequently, I'll most definitely be and sound biased in my review.
I love every song in this album and Ms. Krall's homage to Brazil's Bossa Nova music makes it a bit different from her previous albums. Moreover, it means more to me than it might have to others because I'm Portuguese and Bossa Nova speaks volumes to me culturally, and especially the track 'Este Seu Olhar' (roughly translated: 'That Look in Your Eyes') was so enchanting! What did not change was the way that the music moves me, being so soothing and marvellously orchestrated, to the point where I wept when I first listened to some of the songs included here.
I must stress that I'm not a Jazz fanatic and in fact much of it turns me off. That being said, I feel this album falls in the same category as "The Look of Love" and a great chunk of "When I look in Your Eyes" did, where Diana Krall gave a new lease of life to old classic standards to such a degree it me made me fall completely in love with her musical style.
My final words will be a small side note: I saw Diana Krall perform live in Lisbon last October, and she sounded absolutely wonderful!
on 1 September 2014
My favourite Diana Krall album. Since first hearing this I have gradually been collecting her others. Very stylish, atmospheric, relaxing but not soporific. Because of this album I have been exploring Jobim and Bossa Nova. This then lead me to Nancy Wilson and on to discover many more albums. It kind of leads on like a chain, but I keep coming back to listen to this one. Wonderful
on 11 May 2016
ORG have released most of Diana's recordings on superb 200 gm /45 rpm vinyl and whilst expensive they are awesome masterings all from original analogue tapes. Pressings are normally faultless although on my copy of Quiet Nights there is some faint crackling but nothing too intrusive. This release has two more tracks than the original Verve issue.When this album was first released reviews were generally not as good as most of her previous. All songs are sung in soft and sultry Bossa Nova style with orchestration and some may comment that they are much the same with little variance in tempo. Whilst there is not really a bad track I think her choice of songs could have been better. Not her best album.Going back to the cost of this album I am not sure how Amazon can justify virtually doubling the price since when I ordered it just a few days ago.
on 10 July 2009
"Quiet Nights" is Diana Krall's twelfth album, which marks her first work with the 79 year-old legendary arranger Claus Ogerman (Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim) since 2002's "Live in Paris", and her first studio work with Ogerman since 2001's "The Look of Love".

She may have started out as a jazz pianist/vocalist but these days Diana Krall seems to have ditched any semblance of swing in favour of sickly string arrangements.

Her voice is lush and exquisite but she overdoes the breathiness - to the point that one wonders if a ventilator is required - and sticks too much to indistinguishable, slow bossa novas and ballads.

The result is a florid and bland album that washes over the listener.
My favourite tracks are : "Too Marvelous For Words", "Walk On By", and "So Nice".
The album reaches # 1 of Billboard Top Jazz Albums. Issue date 2009-04-18
Live In Paris
Lazy Afternoon track # 5
Brazil duet with Diana Krall on track # 3
You're My Thrill
on 14 July 2014
This is a beautiful album but then not truly surprising as most of Ms Krall's work is. Some great songs, lovely arrangements and that sweet, sometimes deep voice. Add her terrific piano playing and you have a winner. Certainly a good place to begin if you want to sample Diana Krall but then she seems to turn out consistently first class albums.
on 10 August 2015
Quiet nights is a good title! Sit in a comfy chair, pour yourself a glass of wine, turn down the lights and enjoy Diana Krall at her easy and sensual best. All relaxing slow tracks, unobtrusive orchestral and trio backing with good instrumental solos. This CD will lull you into a quiet romantic mood. The recording is of excellent quality. My favourite of all her CDs.
on 27 June 2009
I've been a big admirer of Diana Krall ever since I bought "When I Look In Your Eyes", which to my ears is still her best CD to date. Loved some of the others, too, but this, I have to say, is a bit disappointing.

Not that it's downright bad, but here we have Diana moving perilously close in style and production to the sort of stuff churned out mercilessly by the soporific Norah ("Snorah") Jones. If you like Norah, you'll love this.

The super-close miked breathy vocals are un-necessary (thinks, "we already KNOW these songs are supposed to be romantic...") and the production doesn't really do Diana's usally exceptional voice any justice. The performances are, as ever, polished - but most of the songs performed here I'd frankly rather hear in their original incarnations.

A set of love songs dedicated to lucky hubby Elvis Costello, this collection is just a bit too soft, sweet and gooey for my tastes. Diana has often sent tingles down my spine with her romantic numbers (try "Why Should I Care" on the aforementioned "When I Look In Your Eyes") -- but this somehow lacks that certain spark, the "je ne sais quoi" that makes her other CD's such essential listening.
on 1 July 2009
easy listening - but have to say I was a bit disappointed on first hearing and even second. I like the bossa nova sound but it is a bit samy and could do with a few more upbeat ones as well. Also I thought it was a bit hard to hear the lyrics on some of the songs and Diana's voice was a bit too soft and quiet. Much prefer other CD's I have of hers. It certainly won't be played as much as others I have.