Customer reviews

Brilliant album 🙂🙂🙂
on 24 May 2017
Excellent
on 11 February 2011
a friend raved about this band and i took the plunge to both buy this album and see them live recently. what can i say? i expected more. there's nothing 'wrong' with what they're doing as such. it ticks the boxes. and in a world where robbie williams walks the planet and jls are regarded as celebrities, this is light years ahead. but somehow there's something lacking.
the songs are just innoccous to the point of blandness. like the band sat down with some old joy division and new order albums. ian curtis vocals? check. hook style bassline? check. slow start to anthemic chorus? check. vaguely dark lyrics that may/may not pertain to some truth about the human condition? check. everything is there but in this case the result is not more than a sum of it's parts. the lyrics, when you listen carefully to them, are pretty cliched. if you fancy an '80s revival in the joy division vein, my advice would be to get hold of a copy of 'the back room' by the editors. or some of interpol's better stuff. overall: good but not great.
on 1 March 2009
I read many bad reviews of this album on the web and still I don't understand why... From the firt listening I knew this would be a record I would like for months to come. From the immmense opening track Death to the glorious From the Stars, there are so many good songs here that I would not hesitate to recommend it to everyone. Enjoy music for what you like, not for what they tell you to, and thanks, White Lies, for giving us the gift of your MUSIC.
on 22 August 2009
One of the best albums of the year. Every track is a grower and the group has the potental for much much more in the future. The songs are raw and at the same time melodic and catchy. I kind of liken it to a much heavier and darker version of the killers but there is also an eighties influence going on. Very very good album and much recomennded to those who like proper music.
on 14 August 2012
I decided to come back to what i remembered as a good debut from dark rockers White Lies. Well i must say its an incredible album. Harry McVeigh's voice is magnificant, think a more powerful Ian Curtis. The drums sound powerful, the bass leads brilliantly and an eerie gothic feel surrounds the album.

'Death', 'To Lose My Life' and 'Farewell To The Fairground' are as catchy as rock music can be. Each building to an epic ending. 'E.S.T' is my favourite song here, simply for its dark, brooding sense while still keeping its cool rockiness. 'From The Stars' describes the scene of a funeral and its aftermath, yet like many songs on display its dark lyrics are conveyed into an upbeat rocker. 'Fifty On Our Foreheads' reminds me a lot of a less guitar driven Interpol. While 'A Place To Hide' and 'Unfinnished Business' are both excellent. Both 'Nothing To Give' and 'The Price Of Love' show the quieter side of White Lies, both being slower, brooding songs to round off excellently.

A top quality album, can only hope the boys next release is something more like this.
on 8 December 2010
I am a big fan of Joy Division, Depeche mode etc. I found out about this band from playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on which they had a track called "Bigger than Us" I loved that track, so tried to find out more about the band. Unfortunately it seems "Bigger than Us" cannot be bought yet for some strange reason.

I decided to buy the album after listening to the sound clips and was not dissapointed. I think every track on this album is strong. Although they claim to not have been influenced by Joy Division there is definately some resemblance in some of the tracks, but I guess it hard to be ultimatly unique these days.

This is one of the strongest albums I have heard for a long time and I cannot wait to hear the next one.