Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Colour: Dolphin Blue SwimFin|Change

on 21 May 2009
I bought this for my 4 year old daughter to help her to learn to swim. I have tried the arm bands and even the floatation vests for kids. The arm bands impaired the movement and the flotation vests were unstable especially for children and dangerous in my opinon, because if they put their heads in the water the vest hindered them from lifting their heads out of the water.

However the swimfin is abosulutely amazing. My daughter normally nervous when she is in slighltly deeper water, let go of my hands withing minutes of wearing the fin.
After that I just left her to it really, obviously in close proximity. She was swimming up and down the pool, even at the deep end confidently (albeit in a more vertical doggy paddle style)

Now I am teaching her to move her arms out of the water and there is no restriction in movement.

I would this recommend this for any child learning to swim. (it goes without saying for the parents, that supervision is still needed!)
on 19 March 2009
This was fantastic, my child has special needs and this was a really good buy for swimming.
on 2 October 2010
We weren't sure what to expect when we ordered this really (having maybe rather rashly ordered two) and when we received it I have to say I wasn't entirely convinced it was going to work. It feels a bit insubstantial and when you put it on the children it doesn't look secure enough, particularly as our two are at the very bottom end of the weight range (ages three and two) and if you fix the straps tight the velcro only just meets. You just wonder how it is going to support them in a safe position. They both loved trying them on though even if they didn't fully understand what they were for. Once we got them in the water though, I have to say I was astonished. I led my little boy into the water holding him with both hands and didn't even realise when he started floating. All you needed to do was be holding one of his hands and be stable yourself for him to be secure and confident in any position - even on his back. Our little girl, who is the younger of the two, was equally happy with it. Neither of them have any comprehension of swimming techniques yet but they had no fears at all with this on. I wouldn't advise you leave them entirely on their own with it if they aren't at least trying to swim, but I would have to say that as soon as your child is big enough for one of these, throw away the inflatable apparatus, floats, kickboards, whatever - this is all you need. You may find the straps are best not used on bare skin but I can't really find any other drawbacks in use. It is not obstructive in any way and I don't know how many amused and impressed looks and comments we got at the pool. We certainly didn't see anyone else with one but I really do hope this proves to be the future.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 December 2016
F A B

4 year old is now too big for inflatable armbands, but swimming ability isn't quite at the same high level as his confidence. He tried a swim-fin at his swimming lesson and we just had to order one.

The fin is soooo easy to fit. His arms are free and his confidence is left intact, but he benefits from the added buoyancy which he needs until his swimming skills/strength improve. The 'Jaws' effect is good humour and helps with swimming, but is also a great prompt to talk about 'stuff' that he is likely to encounter on holiday when in the sea.

Overall a great swimming development aide that provides great neutral buoyancy when positioned in the right place (easy peasy), but as well as being safe it's also fun, and everyone knows that fun is more important than safe is you've only 4.
on 23 November 2016
Have seen children using these fins before and wanted to try one with my daughter. She struggles with arm bands because it makes moving her arms more difficult so she can't keep her head up. We tried this on holiday and found it was amazing, being on her back it didn't restrict her arms so she was able to swim much more strongly, it also kept her head above the water better than the arm bands did. The size is spot on for her (5years old) and isn't too big on her back. Only criticism is that the bands can dig into the underarms as it can ride up when wet.
on 26 March 2014
We have used it only on few occasions and my son is almost 3. He was unable to maintain balance in water and was falling forwards in to the water. I am not sure if this is the start and he will learn. I bought this after looking at the reviews from the others. It looks very nice on him specially with his wetsuit
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2016
My daughter used one of these for her swimming lessons at our local pool along with several of the foam style arm bands and she loved it so much we have bought her one of her own. Previously to this she wore the standard blow up armbands which held her in an upright 'bobbing cork' position rather than the correct swimming position. Any child can float with blow up armbands but it does not help them to actually swim.
This float is shaped like a sharks fin (most probably for novelty value to the children rather than for any specific purpose). It is fully buoyant just like a standard float. It is made from a form of foam which you can get in a variety of colours to suit each individual child. Each fin also has two adjustable velcro fastening straps which go around the child, underneath their arms, and across their waist. If you have a skinnier child, you can tie a knot in it so that they are not as long, otherwise it can bob up in the water slightly.
Because it is not holding them under their arms, it does not restrict their arm movement, even when coupled with the rings which swimming pools also use which can be removed progressively in stages. This means that they are free to fully move with their arms and legs and to adapt the correct the swimming position of horizontally in the water, rather than vertically. She went from being able to only bob in the water and doggy paddle being scared of not having her inflatable arm bands on to being able to swim with just a sharks fin and properly within a week. Well worth the money and actually takes up less room and time than having to either inflate and deflate arm bands at each pool or carry fully inflated ones around and then them accidentally getting a puncture and being of no use.
on 9 August 2016
My 3 year old son loves this. It's given him confidence in the water, and it looks cool too. He was the envy of all similar aged kids at our local swimming pool when we first tried this out. It's easy to attach and adjust.
on 28 July 2016
Every kid learning to swim should have one of these. It's such a simple concept, leaving the arms and legs free to practice a normal swimming stroke, while keeping you afloat. Plus it looks cool! Forget arm bands get this.
on 20 July 2015
So far not impressed. It scratched my daughter's back. It has a seam in the middle which is quite hard. Also, my daughter is tall and skinny so the strap is not tight enough for her. The fin keeps falling down and she tips over on her face. Going to keep proposing it though as I've read so many good reviews but my daughter currently refuses to wear it.