on 23 April 2016
The absolute best record ever.
on 21 July 2009
I distinctly remember having a taped version of this album (with Aladinsane on the other side). I simply wore it out on continous play and no wonder; it sounded great then and the years have been kind. Theres' soul, glam and even hints of punk on Hang on to Yourself. So no if's or buts you need this one in your collection - buy it!!!
on 16 April 2014
Recommended! Great album that I would urge everyone to buy. A Classic Artist. Superb Mastering,packaging, everything! Buy this now, its great value...
on 10 May 2015
I already have the vinyl and wanted to replace it - still love this and can still play it over and over again.
Bowie at his greatest of course.
on 2 September 2014
It's Ziggy Stardust!! one of the best rock n roll albums ever! it changed peoples lives!

If you don't like it you're an idiot ha ha ! ;-)
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2007
This year is like David Bowies 75th birthday or something, so I was lying in the bath listening to a radio doc' of z list celebrities falling over themselves to say how much he ment to then when they were growing up. (Not one of them even mentioned Jim Henson or Labyrinth, honestly I ask you!) Just before my brain turns to goo they play Moonage Daydream, a great little rock song that never turned up on any of the multiple 'best of' albums I've heard. It was enough to make me investigate this album and I'm glad I did. It turns out my Dad was right about Ziggy Stardust all along.
Like most people with a radio living in Britian I was familiar with the singles on here (Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragette City and Rock 'n' Roll Suicide). What came as a pleasant surprise was how well the album sits together and just how good some of the 'other' tracks are. I found it to have a lot of attitude, character and even some well placed humour. The 70's 'concept album' premise isn't to heavy handed, so don't be put off by that. It seems more like a bit of fun to string the songs together then an overblown prog' style musical narrative.
My favourite track is the Marc Bolan inspired 'Lady Stardust', which sounds like a career blue print for some of my favourite indie bands of the 80's and 90's.
The album's weakest moment is the cover of It Ain't Easy by Ron Davies, to my ears it sounds like a typical stomping glam rock number and has aged least well of all the songs on here.
The album's strongest cards are the amazing opening and closing tracks;
the haunting prophercy of global destruction in 'five years' (oh that this had been the sound track to 'An Inconvenient Truth') and the timeless 'Rock 'n' Roll Suicide. Not even Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper can boast book ending songs of this incredible quality and perfect syncrinicity.
I would recommend the album to anybody like me, who know and like 'the best of Bowie' and are interested to explore more of his back catalog.
on 22 May 2014
What's not to like? The thin white duke at his very best with rare photos featuring too make this the definitive collectors item. Well chuffed.
on 17 April 2013
When something is bombarded with praise it raises expectations so high that it is impossible for that something to live up to it. This is the problem with Ziggy Stardust.

Nevertheless it does have a great cohesion as an album and boasts some of Bowie's greatest tracks, such as the classic 'Starman,' which let's face it is worth the price of the album on it's own. We also have other greats like Sufferagette City, Rock and Roll Suicide and the blissful, 'Five Years' which opens the album and certainly lives up to the hype. Unfortunately, the moment 'Soul Love' began I felt a twinge of disappointment in my gut.

Unfortunately also is the fact that 'Soul Love' isn't alone in being a weaker track, as we also have 'It Ain't Easy,' and 'Hang On To Yourself' that latter track sounds like a carbon copy of 'Queen Bitch' from Bowie's previous album and it's that lack of originality that brings it down.

In fact that is something that also lets the entire album down. Ziggy Stardust is not in this writers eyes the ultimate Glam Rock album, for that try T-Rex or Roxy Music, the original pioneers of the genre. Ziggy Stardust excels in commercializing the Glam Rock sound but it does little in the way of experimentation, something Roxy Music certainly excelled at in their early days.

Overall then this is without doubt a solid album and well worth a purchase. However, it is a little over-hyped by many which has sadly tarnished its legacy somewhat, although nothing will tarnish the legacy of songs like 'Starman,' 'Five Years,' the two Stardust tracks and the closing 'Rock and Roll Suicide.'
on 19 April 2016
It's just such a class album and I swear that the remastered vinyl has more clarity and punch than the original. Definitely worth buying.
on 6 June 2014
Just the name David Bowie tells you its a great album, However it isn't until you listen to it you realize how great Bowie really is...