Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

The Hollies had more than twenty hits in their UK homeland, but the big ones can all be found here including all those that reached the top ten. The proof of their continuing popularity in Britain is that many of these songs turn up regularly on various artists compilation albums. The most popular is He ain't heavy he's my brother, which is not a surprise as it was a top three hit in the sixties and a number one hit in the eighties following its use in a TV commercial. The air that I breathe, Carrie Anne, Bus stop, I'm alive and Just one look seem to be the most popular of the others. Less common are Jennifer Eccles, Sorry Suzanne, On a Carousel, Stop stop stop and Look through any window, but these were all huge UK hits for the Hollies.
If you just want a single Hollies CD containing all the essentials from the sixties and seventies, this will satisfy your needs. If you are looking for other excellent but less successful (in the UK) songs like If I needed someone and King Midas in reverse, or you want songs that were successful in other countries but not the UK, you can find them on more comprehensive collections, particularly the Greatest hits double CD released in 2003, which contains all these songs and which I've already reviewed.
on 8 September 2000
If you are wondering what else was around in the sixties beat group wise,(apart from THOSE bands) look no further. This collection proves why The Hollies had so many hits in that era (and onwards for that matter). What makes this a special collection? Amazing harmony vocals, great instrumentation and classic songs.
A must-buy in my view!
on 4 December 2000
The Hollies, for me, were a part of my background growing up in England during the '60s and early 70's. The tracks on this compilation sum-up adolescence as we knew it in those days - meeting your 'bird' by accident (Bus Stop, Just One Look) promising to be faithful (Yes I Will/ The Air That I Breathe) and infatuation (Jennifer Eccles). Mixed in with this is the superb "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress" and the unforgetable "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". It could be that this CD will bring back a whole bunch of poignant memories and I for one am glad to own this "time machine", which is a "must" for any collection.
on 28 September 2013
The cover to this CD features an awful looking image of a power station, and its smoke stacks, arranged against a sunset, and also has a banal statement at its bottom: "20 great sounds that grew out of the North".

But this is actually a very solid addition to EMI's successful series of TV-advertised releases, from the late-1970s, which were entitled '20 Golden Greats'.

How has this popular, very bright-sounding collection endured so well over 30 years in the face of plenty of competition? Firstly, it includes the best of this now rather unfairly, unfashionable English group's many hits of the 1960s and early 1970s. The sweet-sounding and lyrically undemanding pop songs 'Just One Look', 'I'm Alive', 'Bus Stop', 'I Can't Let Go', 'On A Carousel', 'Stop Stop Stop', 'Carrie Anne', and 'Jennifer Eccles' are all here; as are their bombastic rock ballads 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother', and 'The Air That I Breathe'. Secondly, 20 Golden Greats keeps things simple. There are no extraneous tracks in its 60 minute span, and it doesn't try to overplay the cultural significance of the group by pretending that they were as important as The Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, in the way that a box-set, such as the overlong 3CD, 57 track 30th Anniversary Collection 1963-1993 appears to do.

Still, this budget-priced CD could have been improved marginally with a few modifications in the unchronological running order - perhaps, for instance, dropping the cod-Americanisms of 'Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress', in favour of the gentle psychedelia of 'King Midas In Reverse'.
on 23 February 2010
There isn't too much to say about this iconic music,.. each and every track is unique and dare I say timeless,.. the re-master for digital is ok and I'm rather glad they didn't "clean it up" too much that would have taken away the 60s/70s spit and sawdust, they have taken away just enough of the scratches and warts to make it listenable and its surprising just how much production went into each track,...we never really listened to the songs back then,...I was there I know,...the songs had a hook and we liked them and that was enough but now with the benefit of age I can now sit back and listen to the CD or the MP 3 with a decent set of "cans" and truely appreciate the effort and skill that went into the arrangement and the production of each and every track on this CD. I bought the Vinyl LP (Long Player for those who dont know) 30years ago sadly it is no more,..... but the quality of the CD makes it better.
on 22 January 2006
As a fan of more heavy sounds, I was most suprised to find massive pleasue in this album. I first heard it on vinyl played by my dad and immediately became a Hollies fan. The harmonies in their singles are sublime. How can they not instigate an emotional response. I recently had this on in the car and found myself moved, laughing and almost crying along with the sentiment. Unbelieveable. Fresh as the day they were written (even if I wasn't around then).
on 9 October 2015
Love this c.d, there are so many hits on it, and it brings back so many memories. If you love the Hollies this is the c.d for you. I would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying it. Fantastic price. Postage and packaging was excellent.
on 3 February 2015
I'm not a complete fan, but they have been a very successful, and versatile group. I bought a copy of the CD, which is misplaced by me. This is the mp3, and sounds the same. My mind is taken back to the 80's, and EMI cassettes by them! Well worth it for lovers of popular music, I'd say!
on 19 February 2013
The Magic of the Hollies and the Golden 1960s Era of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash and Tony Hicks, with their incredible harmonizing vocals, along with the excellent drumming technique of Bobby Elliott are unique and facinating. This cd is the Hollies at their best. Allan Clarke who was underated as a singer during that particular era and in the early 1970s, sings these songs magnificently as their Lead Singer, especially the all time classics of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and "The Air That I Breathe" with such sensitivity that only Allan Clarke could sing in his special expertise way. I am sure that Allan Clarke's exquisite voice would have been most suitable to the country n' western style of singing and very much pleasing to the ear, especially when he went solo after Graham Nash left the Hollies.

Yes! The Hollies truly "Did It Their Way." Tony Hicks guitar playing was fantastic, along with his expertise in "Stop, Stop, Stop" whilst playing the banjo.

The three-in-one harmonies of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, and Tony Hicks are brilliant.

The Hollies are Magic.

Anyone who listens to this cd will be delighted.
on 24 January 2013
I'm lost in this album as I type this. I saw them live in Manchester at the Plaza on Easter Sunday in 1964 (I think), and they sounded brilliant then, and they sound brilliant now. They had just started as a group, and were truly fabulous live. I'm now sat at my PC, yet I'm back in the day, dancing to them and enjoying every moment. They were so versatile, fast ones, slow sad ones, they could carry them all. The harmonies, oh, the harmonies! Nobody could sing like "THE HOLLIES", and I believe that is true to this day.