on 1 February 2014
Item excellent as described service first class as always album brilliant with some great songs several of which have been covered by Jimmy Nail
on 13 April 2002
This is the saddest album I've ever heard. Not because of any powerful songs, but because it's so heartbreaking to hear Paddy McAloon write such a laughably bad record. How could the man behind Jordan the Comback just lose it like this. Such a decline. "Cornfield Ablaze" and one of the ballads are the only decent songs on the CD, and neither would be considered one of the Sprout's top 30 songs. How could the man behind "All the world loves lovers" write "King, queen or jack/love's the wild card in the pack." I used to be proud to be a Prefab Sprout fan, but when I heard the embarrassing meows on "Farmyard Cat," I was just praying my neighbor's couldn't hear.
on 21 October 2014
brilliant, every song a true gem, another piece of magic from Paddy McAloon
on 21 June 2001
I never thought I would live to see the day that I regretted buying a Prefab Sprout album. But I can't find anything positive to say about The Gunman. I defy any Sprouts fan to sit through the closing track without bursting into tears.
The only silver lining is that The Gunman makes me appreciate their older stuff even more. I still remember how I felt when I first heard the Steve McQueen album - and it sounds even better on CD (now available on mid-price!)
on 30 April 2001
This is a great album, maybe not as good as andromeda heights or steve mcqueen, but it is on the same level as Jordan:the comeback. The second one is that 4 out of 10 songs were previously released by other artists. But on the other hand the Sprout's versions are really an improvement, especially the 'gunman'(the greatest epic the group has recorded, far better than the horrible Jordan title track...). Wild Card is catchy, Cowboy dreams sounds deliciously Country and Western, and troubled Man is one of the best songs Paddy has ever written. Buy this record, the group deserves it (it's been quite a long time since Paddy has had a hit single or seen his face on the cover of a magazine...)