This is one of those CDs that can easily sit in the drawer for ages un-listened to, but recently when I saw it and played it after a nine year break I could not understand why I've not listened to it more often.

So I've finally put it on my ear-player and have been rediscovering just how very good Stacy Kent is. The music is easy and flows well, her voice is just right without being intrusive. The band is pretty good too. This CD is not a ground shattering revelation of the music world, but the variety of styles all carried off with effortless ease is definitely good to listen to on the bus/tube or in the car or in the quiet of the evening when curled up with a good book and TV switched off.
on 17 September 2007
This is a remarkable new turning point for Stacey Kent.

For the past 10 years, she has been mainly singing numbers form the great American Songbooks. However, on this CD, she sings lesser known beautiful songs (such as 'Landslide'), 3 French songs ('Ces petits riens', 'Samba saravah' et 'La saison des Pluies' - my French friend told me that her French is very very very good) and 3 numbers from the songbook ('Hard hearted Hannah', 'Never let me go' and 'What a wonderful world') and even 4 originals (Jim/Ishiguro) for the first time in her career. She did sing Bacharach, Paul Simon and Carole Kind in her another wonderful album "The Boy Next Door", but this CD 'Breakfast on the Morning Tram' has a fresher approach.

When I first listened to the CD, I felt she sounded so airy and free. I am sure she enjoyed the challenge, but I guess the holy ghosts from the past haunted her when she was singing the old tracks - I am sure Ella (who I adore from the bottom of my heart!), Sara or Billie crossed her mind, and she needed to present her new interpretations of the classics. She, without a single failure, managed to give a fresh life to every single song she has sung so far. But by introducing newer songs, I guess she managed to set her free even more. Listen to `Landslide`, she sounds so natural and more of herself. I adore the way she sings this beautiful song without any pretension whatsoever.

Put this CD on when you notice the first sign of the autumn in the air. Put a gardi on and go to the garden, and listen to the CD in the sun. I am sure you will also agree that this CD is warm, wishful and sophisticated.
on 19 May 2009
Heard Stacey Kent perform several of the numbers on this CD at London's Cadogan Hall in April. Loved the concert and immediately ordered the disc. It features mostly original material which she sings superbly. Furthermore, her backing group is also excellent. A CD which I highly recommend to all lovers of vocal jazz who are looking for a diversion from the usual standards.
on 6 July 2008
Stacey Kent's highly polished albums of standards are extremely listenable if at times over-glossed tributes to the genius of the Great American Songbook. I have always had a few reservations about this particular musician, but on this new album I have to say I am completely won over. The unique feature of this project is, of course, the addition of four very evocative and melodic original songs by saxophonist/hubby Jim Tomlinson and lyrics by Kazuo Ishiguro. These songs are quite literally tailor-made for Kent's brand of reticent romanticism, and her singing on these numbers has a special personal quality. Sometimes her albums of standards have the feeling of a production line (though, admittedly, a very expert production line); these new songs prompt her to express something fresh. I particularly enjoyed "I Wish I Could Go Travelling Again".

The other cuts on the album are equally pleasurable, and again it's nice to see her tackling something a little off the beaten track: the delightful samba from "A Man and a Woman" is a real highpoint, and I am always pleased to hear a lovely reading of the beautiful Bergman/Mendes "So Many Stars". Stevie Nick's "Landslide" also makes a strong impression, for all it seems to venture into Norah Jones territory.

Overall, this CD is a treat from start to finish, a highly musical and intelligent collection of excellent songs. At Amazon's price of under a fiver, you can't really say no.
on 25 February 2009
The Ishiguro songs are the best modern 'intelligent' songs I have heard for a long time and her cover of 'Landslide' strips it to its bones to reveal the beautiful melody which, as ever, her perfect voice does great justice to. And her French isn't bad either......
British-American singer Stacey Kent's new album, "Breakfast On The Morning Tram," shows the youthful jazz chanteuse with the sweet, yet strong voice, to be enjoying unprecedented growth in her career. She's put together a bigger band, with a number of talented musicians, and she's allowed them lots of room to stretch on this disk. She has also, for the first time, recorded original compositions: this album has only three songs from the Great American Songbook, on which she had so successfully relied until now. She has also moved on from her first recording label, the small independent Candid, to the prestigious jazzy Blue Note.

Kent, who was born in South Orange, New Jersey, met her talented husband, saxophonist, now producer/arranger/composer, Jim Tomlinson, with whom she works, while both were students at London's 125 year old Guildhall School of Music and Drama. The singer, whose clear voice and delivery lie somewhere between the flirtatious sound of Norah Jones, and the ever-popular smoky barroom sound now delivered by Diana Krall and Claire Martin, among others, was initially championed by British critic and jazz trumpeter Humphrey Lyttelton. She credits Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Nancy Wilson, and Cannonball Adderley as the biggest influences on her work. She has won the 2001 British Jazz Award, and the 2002 British Broadcasting Corporation Jazz Award for Best Vocalist. She has a large, devoted following that should be pleased by this release.

"Breakfast" gives more than a nod to France, where Kent did post-graduate work, and is exceedingly popular: she was, in fact, signed by the Paris office of Blue Note. The French gave the 2006 BOY NEXT DOOR Gold Album status within six months of its release. They've greeted "Breakfast" by giving it, within six weeks of its release, Top #20 status on the general charts, and Top #10 status on the jazz charts; they've also given it an enthusiastic sell-out audience at Paris's legendary Olympia Music Hall. The new album includes two songs Kent identifies as her personal favorites from the works of the French singer-songwriter Serge Gainsbourg, "Ces Petits Riens," and "La Saison des Pluies." It also includes a cover of that rhythmic tune from "Un Homme et Une Femme," (that'll be "A Man and A Woman," to us), "Samba Saravah," by Pierre Barouh.

"So Many Stars" is another lilting samba on this Latin-tinged record, music by the Brazilian Sergio Mendes, words by the American powerhouse duo Marilyn and Alan Bergman. In addition, Kent covers "Landslide," by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac, in tribute to the Colorado Rockies, where she and Tomlinson enjoy spending their down time. "Never Let Me Go," "Hard Hearted Hannah," and "Wonderful World" are from the Great American Songbook that's served the singer so well.

Finally, "Breakfast" boasts four unusual, outstanding new compositions, all with lyrics by British Booker Prize winning novelist Kazuo Ishiguro, who wrote the liner notes for the 2003 release IN LOVE AGAIN and music by Tomlinson, with whose saxophone Kent sings in delicious close harmony. These songs, the Latin-grooving "Ice Hotel," the title song, "I Wish I Could Go Travelling Again," and "So Romantic," allow Kent's whispering voice to suggest, as Ishiguro has noted, almost a private, inner conversation, with its hesitations and asides, that remains close to the rhythms, inflections, and informalities of everyday speech. But then, so many of her listeners feel that Kent is singing for them alone, telling a wistful story, as she likes to do. Famous jazz lover Clint Eastwood asked her to perform at his 70th birthday party. Most of us can't quite afford that, unfortunately, but I've been lucky enough to catch her a few times in her month-long stands at New York's esteemed Algonquin Hotel: and, yes, she's also played that city's Carnegie Hall. You want to catch her if you can.
on 10 November 2012
First heard a track from this CD (Breakfast on the morning tram - The Ice Hotel) and was taken by it, so bought the CD. Reminds me much of Madeline Peyroux in voice and type of songs she sings and that both sing in some of their pieces in French. Very pleased with the purchase and intent to listen to more of this artist.
on 12 September 2011
I have everything Stacey has ever recorded except this one, till now. I was put off by some negative reviews but why did I listen! This CD is pure class with Stacey's voice still as good as ever and her interpretation is second to none. It is worth having in your collection for "What a wonderful world" alone - gives me goose-bumps every time. I am glad I waited for this CD now as I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I like it. I have seen Stacey in concert 3 times and she never disappoints. Hope she tours here again soon but, in the meantime, just sit back and enjoy another excellent collection of songs beautifully sung. Bliss!
on 31 October 2010
This is a very well crafted record. The musicianship is spotless. If you like soft dinner jazz with a modern twist then this is for you. I personally don't like vocal gymnastics and Stacey Kent doesn't go in for that... but she's always "on the money".

My personal favourites are the title track and "Ice Hotel".Although I could have done without hearing "Hard Hearted Hannah" again, she does sing a very nice interpretation of the old Louis Armstrong hit "Wonderful World".

All in all this is well worth the few pounds I paid for my second/hand copy here on Amazon.
on 25 July 2014
An interesting departure from Stacey Kent's usual standards. Featuring some great new material.

A slight diversion in material choice for Stacey Kent featuring some great new (newer) songs. I wonder with each album if she can keep getting better but she does. Very hard to stop playing this wonderful disc.