Customer reviews

on 20 October 2012
This is the main light weapon in my war against SAD and depression esp during winter and is now part of my daily regime. After waking in the morning and feeding the cat & taking my meds i sit in front of this angel like light for 30 mins with my breakfast and it charges me up to face the day . Its impact has been v rapid with a noticeable difference after first week - so much so that i actually was looking forward to getting to work on a Monday morning after a miserable dark weekend.

As the evenings are drawing in ( esp if i have a long day on road) again i sit in front of this for another 30 mins in evening. Noticeable differences have been noted by friends in that i seem happier and i feel a lot more productive both in house and at work.

If you have depression and SAD this is not a sole solution but i do believe that its a valuable part of my proactive stance in controlling and managing my depression.

Although these lights are not cheap ( I also have portable SAD device, home office SAD desk lamp & daylight sunrise clock ) i see this as an investment in maintaining a life balance that i can control and also in keeping my job ( in past two and half years i have had over 6 months off work with depression and anxiety ) . Obviously its not going to stop you having some days when depression gets upper hand ....but i would rather it be the occassional day rather than weeks and months. Making these lights part of my regime each day are definitely paying dividends.
on 16 March 2017
I tend to be pretty down in the winter months, and believe this to be a consequence of the lack of light, sun and warmth here in the UK. After a recent trip abroad to the Far East where I was much happier and brighter, the return to home after a few months led me to become tired and depressed again. I decided to try a couple of things rather than wallow in my sadness - a Lumie Brightspark Lightbox, and taking Vitamin D regularly.

The great thing about this product is that it comes with a money-back guarantee, so you can trial whether it works for you or not (at least it does on the Lumie site, but Amazon's returns policy means that you can do broadly the same if you buy it here at a slightly lower cost).

It's also very bright - but not in a way that gives you headaches. I was able to sit next to for hours at a time, leaving it on and not suffering at all. Actually as a work/desk lamp, it functions incredibly well.

The downside for me was the size of the product. It feels huge, perhaps even larger than the photo suggests. I did manage to find a space for it on my desk, but not everyone might be so lucky.

Unfortunately, I did end up sending the product back for a refund. I believe that this is the type of light that benefits from being used every day (in fact that is recommended), but with getting up to commute into town for work at least half of the week, it was't always possible to do this, and I didn't want to have to sit next to it in the evenings and have it potentially interfere with getting to sleep.

So, my advice is to check the size of the product, consider if you have room for it, and consider whether you can use it every day. If you tick all of those boxes, this could be a great buy for the winter blues.
on 20 February 2013
I bought this for my Mum to 'cheer up' her days when it is grey and dull outside. She told me that she has noticed a definite change in her mood and knows it isn't a 'placebo' effect. I notice that she seems more cheery when I see her and talk to her on the phone. I was concerned about the amount of electricity it used, so I contacted the manufacturer and they assured me that it was 'pence' a day, as when they designed it, energy efficiency was high on the list! Worth every penny, really nice glow from this light, might even get myself one!
on 28 April 2013
Just that, really. I was diagnosed as deficient in vitamin D last October, and this feels like it has made a difference. My levels are back to normal now (I have been taking supplements too).
It is great for doing craft work too - very bright, and also its upright design means it doesn't take up too much table space.
The only downside is that it is easy to knock over... Tho I've done that twice, and it has survived!
on 23 March 2017
I love my sad light
on 26 June 2017
fantastic
on 25 September 2011
Days away from being sacked for showing up at work way too late, a manager from S.Africa informs me about SAD, she then very kindly commands me to use this very same light box for an hour a day while at my desk once she's had her morning dose. Within the week I had purchased two. One for home and one for the office. 4 years on it's been part of my winter routine.

Only negative I'd say is the plastic light defuser which covers the light tubes. It's cracked a little when in transport, best to repack it in the box provided when transporting.

With the vast improvements in LED technology if I had to replace this item, I'd be tempted to try some of the newer less energy hungry light boxes now on the market. But until then, this is working just fine.

The one at home I have set on a timer, to come on by my bed side 30min before my alarm clock goes off. helps tremendously in the mornings.

I avoid using it in the afternoons as it doesn't help me with getting to bed. Mornings to mid day a 30 min dosage does me fine.
on 25 January 2011
Would just like to say, "Bought this product for my mother who, we believe suffers with SAD. It has made a remarkable impact on her mood! Would recommend it to anyone who thinks they are suffering with SAD, she uses it whilst reading/watching TV for about 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours in a morning."
on 3 February 2015
This is a nice compact light box. I had considered the larger Brazil model, but wanted something that would happily sit on my computer desk and the Brazil is a little too unwieldy. The light is of course very bright but it's too soon to say it has made me feel better but I'll update the review when I have a good impression. I don't have SAD but I do suffer from anxiety and low mood especially in winter so it'll be good to see if this helps. For now, I can say this is an attractive, modern design and features one easy to use on/off switch. I'd say if you have diagnosed sad you should consider the Brazil as you might regret it later. It's not that much more expensive.
on 10 February 2010
Lumie Brightspark - light therapy for treating SAD Delivered within 4 days. All in working order. Just take out from the box and plug it in, locate about 20 inches away from where you are to sit; relax and watch the television or read a book. Do that every night for about 60 mins - result a steady but gradual improvement in mood/feelings over the course of a month. It works.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse