on 15 March 2014
I actually downloaded this way back in 2011 when it was free but have only just got round to reading it (having over 1,000 books to get through!) have to say great opening page! poor Walter found dead on Sophie Mae's workroom floor! and so begins the story drawing in the reader eager to find out more....was it murder, suicide?? more than once I thought I knew the answer but how wrong I was! all in all this was an entertaining read that kept me turning the page.
I must admit that I downloaded this on a whim as it was on promo, and didn't have that high expectations for it. Thankfully though this book exceeded my expectations and I was soon engrossed.

When Walter, the local handyman is found dead in Sophie Mae's workroom it at first seems a case of suicide or an accidental death. But Sophie Mae isn't convinced. Trying to find out more about Walter she finds that he has a mother alive whom he never spoke about. As Walter's house is first broken into, and then set fire to, things are looking suspicious, and the local detective, Barr Ambrose is of Sophie Mae's opinion, as well as her housemate, Meghan. As their home is also broken into they try to keep what is happening from Meghan's daughter, Erin.

With family secrets, an attempted hit and run, a poice force understaffed, there is every chance that someone could be out to kill Sophie Mae as well. As sparks of romance are set off between Sophie Mae and Barr Ambrose, will the truth of what happened ever be revealed?

This is a good little mystery that is always twisting and turning, with characters that really come to life. A great read for those who like to sit and relax with a good mystery.
on 2 August 2011
This has one of the most brilliant opening lines I have ever read. From there develops a murder of a handyman, (or was it suicide?), mysterious fire, theft, attempted murder & a hint of romance. All this involving a young widow who house shares with a divorced friend & daughter. There are some interesting characters & some soap making recipes too . No graphic violence, sex or strong language & no preachiness either. The ending was quite realistic & leaves room for more in the series. A very good start.
on 12 September 2011
What a fabulous surprise this novel was! Sophie Mae finds handyman and friend, Walter, dead in the workroom she produces handmade soaps. Even worse, it looks like he killed himself with an ingredient she uses in her work, lye.

Sophie, Megan and Erin, Sophie Mae's housemate and her daughter, are devastated at what the police call a suicide. Except then Sophie starts to think and realises she doesn't know much about Walter at all, considering he was their friend as well as handyman, and so she starts poking around a little...

The book is very obviously a mystery, the characters are fairly solid and the story progresses just as you'd expect, piece by piece, but delivered delightfully. Talk of Sophie Mae's home run business really interested me, I love learning about new skills.

I confess I did have a good idea of who the culprit was and got a surprise! I absolutely love that the interest Sophie's work gave me was encouraged by the recipes at the end of the book for some of the things she created throughout the story, bath salts, lip balm, moisturising lotion bars. All just waiting for me to try out for Christmas gifts!

I absolutely reccomend this if you enjoy a mystery or dabble in home crafts yourself.
on 21 August 2011
This was a great, fun read for me - fast paced, with a hint of romance, and I loved the recipes at the end of the book.

Although the death scene is unpleasant, it isn't overly gruesome and the MC gets herself into situations that are entertaining as well as dangerous.

The characters are well rounded and believable, and I'll happily go into this world again.

Recommended for anyone who just wants a fun who-dunnit yarn, and grandma safe - not too gory, no graphic sex scenes.
on 20 September 2011
I loved this book. I found the characters engaging and likeable in this story of murder and mayhem! It was a great way to spend a few hours and to be honest I was reading this in every spare moment.

There was tension both in the murder (or was it suicide) and also the developing romance between Sophie Mae & Ambrose. The plot line moved along at a cracking pace and kept me guessing right to the end in fact I didn't guess what had happened at all! The twists and turns were brilliant.

A really good read.
on 15 September 2011
Got to grips with this book straight away, even woke up during the night to carry on reading, had a real job putting it down. You have 2 young ladies and a child living together and then Sophie Mae finds a body in her workshop, but what caused this persons death, was it suicide or murder, and what connection has Sophie Mae got to do with it all. Start reading and you will find out for yourself, you wont be disappointed.
on 27 August 2011
A well thought out book, nicely written and ticks all the right boxes. Having recently become interested in home cosmetics I found the little extra detail about these and the recipes superb and inspiring - not something authors tend to divulge to the average reader! Only a few formatting quirks but doesn't detract from the story. It's free, so I urge you to download it and have a gander.
on 22 August 2011
I downloaded this because it was free. The crafting element was what made me read it. it was pretty good. I enjoyed it, but there was nothing exceptional about it, although I didn't work out "whodunnit". There were some formatting errors in the kindle edition, which were quite distracting, but on the whole quite worth a read.
on 5 January 2012
I downloaded this when it was free and wasn't expecting much from it but I was pleasantly surprised. I found it a really enjoyable read, so much so that I am going to download more from the series!