Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 3 June 2017
Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Nothing else to say
on 27 April 2017
Very happy with the LP . Vinyl is a lovely way to listen to your music.
on 3 June 2017
great listening
on 25 June 2013
Having worn out the vinyl version many years ago, I don't even own this any more - but it lives on in my head, as fresh, powerful, spiky and exciting as it was when I heard it in 1989. This album rekindled my fading interest in classical music, and to this day when I hear Four Seasons movements on the radio, I find it remarkably easy to single out his version from the sleep-inducing alternatives.

It's not musical memory so much as sense memory: it's how the playing makes me feel that tells me it's Kennedy. I neither know nor care about Kennedy the self-publicist - to me it was always the worst snobbery of the classical music world that assertive publicity was considered 'vulgar'. Why exactly should classical musicians don that black evening dress and disappear into the music, be subsumed by it? I like this version precisely because he doesn't disappear into the music. I simply can't believe Vivaldi wrote that spine-tinglingly virtuoso violin music for any but but the greatest of show-off musicians, and in Kennedy he has what I think he wrote for: Kennedy's Stradivarius, and Kennedy's enthusiasm, talent and ego, making something explosively strong and memorable.

I'm going to go and buy it again, not because I need to remember it, but just to show continued support for a world-class classical musician and his exciting (and continuing) pushing of the envelope, to the horror of purists.
on 6 January 2000
This CD is simply one of the best versions of Vivaldi's most well known work. While it is easy to assume that all recordings of The Four Seasons are much the same (I believe there have been over 150!), this one really brings something new to the party.
Love or loath Kennedy, there's no denying he knows how to use a violin. There are some amazing sounds on this CD, which really add a freshness to a work that is in great danger of being done to death.
One of my "Top 10" classical CDs!
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2015
I own a version of Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons' by a well known Philharmonic Orchestra, and there is just no comparison between it and Nigel Kennedy's version. His playing is in a class of its own.
on 19 December 2000
Simply one of the best renditions of any piece of music I've ever heard. Timeless. I am buying another copy because my cassette tape wore out long ago. Once you hear Kennedy's version, the rest just cannot compare for techincal brilliance and inspiration.
on 2 November 2000
This CD has Nigel Kennedy as the lead violinist in vivaldi's Four Seasons. I also have Yehudi Menuhin's version of the four seasons but Nigel (Menuhin's pupil) has emotion in his playing that Menuhin does not match. A must have for any string orchestra fan!
on 13 October 2014
Niger Kennedy is a legend! No one plays the Four Seasons like him; I had the cassette years ago and it's great to hear it again.
on 7 June 2016
Very good quality record with very little background noise on a good weight vinyl. I have always liked this interpretation.