TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 February 2016
'Among My Swan' is the Mazzy Star album you should own. To me, it's where the balance between Hope Sandoval's cool, sombre vocal tones and David Roback's simple arrangements combine to produce something that is far greater than the sum of its parts. On a cursory listen, some may find this intensely melancholic music depressing, or even boring; to me, it's music that demands your full attention, and creates subtly contrasting moods of emotional desolation, abandonment and loss. It's a record that creates it's own world. 'Flowers In December', for example, is an absolute delight, needing little more than Sandoval's appealing and melodic vocal, gently strummed acoustic guitar and plaintive harmonica to evoke an atmosphere of aching, of yearning, that is so, well, perfect, that I find mere words incapable of expressing just how wonderful it is. 'Still Cold' is comparatively harsh, but is a good example of how Roback layers up a track deftly to achieve a profound cumulative effect. Some may find the album too downbeat, but for those willing to devote only a little time and trouble, it's an album that delivers rich rewards. A classic
4 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2016
Saw her on the BBC, did an acoustic set, just off from the interview area, think it was Glastonbury - 1996.... Jo Whiley might have been earlier... been hooked ever since; this is the third album I've bought and they are all great albums. I play this when I'm doing some lino prints, especially if I want to be inspired.
Great album, lovely sound, her voice paints a fantastic atmosphere and mood.
One person found this helpful
on 10 May 2016
I picked this one up having heard looking down from the bridge in the Sopranos. Really moving song for sure. Again, as before, very specif sound which is good and always present a delicate balance in their songs which i really like. Not music for everyday which again is the appeal I have for them.
on 30 December 2017
Fans of MS will not be disappointed. Not up to the standard of “She Hangs Brightly” but better than “So Tonight ...”.
on 23 February 2016
Love the music,a real chill out album. I know that one should only
review the actual music but I feel I must comment on the vinyl record which I purchased. It was terrible,popping and crackling on almost every track. I bought it last week for 19.98 and it is now 33 pounds, go figure that out. Anyway arrived today and going back tomorrow, getting the CD instead. Update, now down to 21.74 with auto rip.
on 31 December 2017
Played all the time - my husband loves it!
on 22 July 2017
Brilliant album, quickly delivered!
on 7 March 2016
Just got this again having last listened to it on cassette a million years ago. Still fresh and still beautiful
on 9 September 2017